replacing w2k-files by xp-files

murvun

why would you? - get paint.net instead.

as of my knowing about there arn't a whole lot of filex you can replase with either xp or 2003 version, you have to understand that, for example krnl32.dll and those files have also changed, new hooks and features have been added to the kernel and windows's base_ system, without that you cant just put in any redom file and, let it run without its dependeancies.

if you want xp-functionality, Install Windows xp, if you want to lose some of xp's bloatware, use nLite, if you want a fullgrown os, that is lightweight and quite stable, use windows 2000. (with or without gurglemeyers uSP5).

just wanted to second -I-'s post. perfectly said, and i want to re-emphasize that there is no reason to use XP programs, because the hooks are not where win2k expects them to be. the NTDETECT.COM and ntldr files are the only ones that can be swapped out for a performance gain. there might be others that maybe might work like perhaps MSHTML.DLL, and you could try them out, but i have no doubt they would degrade performance rather than enhance it.

I experimented once with MSPaint for JPEG support :whistle: I read somewhere it is possible for W9X.

No success on W2k just replacing the files. something else was needed. I'm not a computer man so don't know what was needed but suspect it's about this kernel things.

Maybe i'll try it someday... But realy just for the heck of it..

So even IF i'd actualy succeed, I'd stil probebly wouldn't tell anyone because of the emberousment, of utterly wasted time that I could have used for a usefull MSFN-project...

If you want jpg, gif or png -files to be edited in windows 2k, Install the .NET runtime env. and start using paint.NET

If you dont like paint.net use the GIMP

If you dont like that either, buy yourself a PSPro of PhotoShope product.

And if that is to mutch trouble, stop whining about it.

//edited: (for spelling corrections).

Edited by -I-

For editing purposes I have (and recommend) XaraX.

But the point is in replacing the files already existed with better (?) analogues not installing other soft, preserving files associations and other system features.

Probably it's not possible but that's already another questions :P