Help with remote connectivity

Aesthetic

basically i need the simplist way possible to allow both: A) me to access clients desktop computers (in multiple distant locations) to troubleshoot software, apply updates, and exchange files between their pc and a file server on my network; and B) allow them to remotely connect to our file server to upload/download data files. all file sizes would be no more than 50MB. This would all be in a Windows environment. 2003/2000 on the server side, XP Home and Professional on the client-side.

i know that VPN access combined with AD and security features is a fairly simple way to achieve B using 2003 server. what are advantages/disadvantages to using Windows VPN as opposed to, say, Cisco VPN Client or similar options?

What would be the best way to go about achieving A without forcing them to be a part of my network? All Client-side computers would be Running Windows XP Home or Professional and would already be part of a small, office based workgroup. Is it possible for the VPN server to initiate a session?

forgive me if this is a stupid question, and thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Aesthetic

Just to clarify, all computers are not on the same network? Are they two separate networks at different locations that require connectivity over the internet? Or is there a central "home" network and a bunch of individual clients dispersed all over the place that must be connected over the internet?

Edited by Rob00GT

No, the computers are not all on the same network. The "home" network runs a mixed 2003/2000 server environment with local XP clients. The computers i need connectivity with are not a part of any network, rather their own small office workgroups. The client computers are not part of our company, they are customer computers in multiple non-server environments in varying locations. Hope that cleared things up a little better.