XP Professional Product Key Change

Lord-Beldingfield

Hello ther,

With the windows xp pro installation cd rom is there a way of changing the product key, so that when you install windows xp pro you have to enter a diffent product key to the one that is already intergrated with the cd rom.

I would like to know so that its possible to slipstream service pack 2 into the cd rom. The current product key does not allow this.

Thanks for your time

lord beldingfield

hey :)

no i dont know of a way to that, but if you install it then do the following you can change its key:

first navigate to the following reg key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents

right click OOBETimer, and modify one of its digits (any it doesnt matter)

next open up run and type %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

a box should pop up in it click yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.

then click Change Product key, type the new product key in the new key boxes, and then click Update.

all done!!

hope this helps :)

Edited by eyeball

Hello,

Thanks for replying so quickly. My problem is that i cant install my slipstream copy becuase service pack 2 has been intergrated. And my licence key is no longer valid. What i would like to do is edit the xp pro installation cdrom and change the product key there.

Thanks Again

Matt

Edited by Lord-Beldingfield

So many misconceptions :wacko:

In the first place, there is NO key on the Windows install CD. The only key would be on a tag that came with the XP install CD or is stuck on the case of the computer it was originally installed on.

Any key for a like version of windows, or a lesser version, will work. A key for Windows XP-Pro, will work for XP-Home, etc.

In the second place you cannot edit something like a CD that is "Read Only"

All MS lic. keys have to follow a certain format. That's all the install program looks for. NOT specific key numbers.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

Hi again,

Are you saying that any xp 'license key' that is legitimate will work. because ive been trying other 'product keys' like the one on the cd in my xp installer and then havent been working.

And you said about the cd being 'read only'. what i ment was, copying the xp installation to my hardrive removing any 'read only' attributes and then editing/ tweaking/ hacking xp to change the 'license key' or 'product key' without atcually installing that version of xp. So that next time i do a fresh installation of xp pro i have to enter a different 'licsence key' or 'product key' which isnt VLK.

At the chance of becoming Redundant.....I repeat.

THERE IS NO LICENSE KEY RECORDED ANYWHERE ON THE XP INSTALL CD.

I just don't know how else to put it. It's NOT there!

All Microsoft install CD's are mass recorded....they are all Identical. The only key is the one printed on a tag that comes attached to the Windows manual or affixed to the case of the computer, as is the case for most major brands of computers, like HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM and Gateway.

In the Setup.exe program on the CD is a routine that checks the key you type in for validity. All valid keys will conform to a "Pattern" and that's all the validation routine looks for. If you change one digit in a Key, it will invalidate that key. It ruins the pattern and it will not be valid.

Any more questions?

Cheers Mates

B)

At the chance of becoming Redundant.....I repeat.

THERE IS NO LICENSE KEY RECORDED ANYWHERE ON THE XP INSTALL CD.

I just don't know how else to put it. It's NOT there!

All Microsoft install CD's are mass recorded....they are all Identical. The only key is the one printed on a tag that comes attached to the Windows manual or affixed to the case of the computer, as is the case for most major brands of computers, like HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM and Gateway.

In the Setup.exe program on the CD is a routine that checks the key you type in for validity. All valid keys will conform to a "Pattern" and that's all the validation routine looks for. If you change one digit in a Key, it will invalidate that key. It ruins the pattern and it will not be valid.

Any more questions?

Cheers Mates

B)

@Andromeda43 : wow double post in one post ^^

By the way, you say we can use xp pro license key on a home edition ? if yes great to know ... however you can't use a xp corp key on xp pro and vice versa ...

I think the key of Lord-Beldingfield begin with F C K G W ^^ the most pirated key of the world.

edit: Scootermyth, you're faster than me ^^

Edited by sonic

Sonic,,,(cool dude) I think you're onto something......

Corp shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread. That's NOT what we're talking about.

Yes, a key for XP-Pro will work for Pro or any lesser version....like HOME.

It would appear that Lic Keys are downward compatible.

When you've paid the big bucks for Pro, it allows U to use a cheaper version....

It doesn't work the opposite way though.

All this is only relative if you're bent on staying 100% MS-Legal.

Some folks get all hung up on that licensing stuff and others just don't give a hoot!

Life is so much simpler for the latter group. Right, Sonic? :lol:

I didn't mean for that post post to be double double!

The board did that all by itself.

Cheers,

Andromeda43

When you've paid the big bucks for Pro, it allows U to use a cheaper version....

It doesn't work the opposite way though.

All this is only relative if you're bent on staying 100% MS-Legal.

The EULA only allows Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT Workstation version 4.0 or Windows 98 (Second Edition). It does not allow the use of Windows XP Home or Windows ME.

I've never tried using a Pro key on a Home CD. but my Advanced Server Key doesn't work on my Standard Server CD

Hey Lord B......not intending to hi-jack your thread, hope you don't mind if I ask a related question....

Based on experience posted in this thread, is the following scenario possible?

Purchased OEM System Builder XP Pro SP2 and just cracked seal to make ISO image and use that image to get a copy ontro my HD.

I have a valid volume liscence key that I currently use in my OS.

Can I use OEM version .....tweak it.... and then use volume lisence to activate? I am building a new system but don't like the idea of marrying an activation key to my set-up

Any response is appreaciated. :yes:

Volume license = corporate (for me it's that !) so :

...also

Corp keys don't work for retail versions and vice versa.

Volume key doesn't require any activation ...

@Andromeda43 : okay for the bug from the board!

At the risk of sounding a bit dense......volume lisence then won't work with systembuilder OEM or is it restricted to retail or boxed version only?

"Doesn't work" meaning OS won't boot ? Any tips how to best keep an OEM lisence fresh?

My problem is that the current corporate or volume lisence I am using has been heavily modified and for some reason I can't seem to get past Sata driver installs. I followed Beginners tutorial and use n-Lite but gotten frustrated enough to just go out and buy the darn OEM copy for a buck fourty.....

:(