What is WPI?

What is WPI?

Windows Post-Install Wizard (WPI for short) is a hypertext application designed for giving users choice. While Windows XP offers many ways of customizing the setup process out of the box, its major drawback is the lack of being able to select which applications an end user may install. In the past, end users and administrators needed to either download the files manually, or create overly complex scripts that could only be used once. WPI allows you to create one image, which can then be custom configured, and optionally, automated, so that end users can install any applications.

WPI is a simple to use automation program for the choice and installation of multiple programs, tweaks and scripts. No longer will you need a dozen CD's or more when doing a fresh Installation. No longer will you need multiple files when you are servicing another PC. With Windows Post-Install Wizard all that you will need is 1 or 2 CD\DVD's to fully install your PC with all of your apps, scripts, registry files or tweaks. Instead of having to re-download those apps like Adobe Reader, Flash or updates to programs, you can have them all on one disk. With WPI you can have all of them all on one disk and then have a nice interface for selecting which apps to install and after configured properly, WPI will install all of them without any input from you. WPI is also commonly added to your windows installation disks. This way you can automate the complete process of Windows and program installations.

With your typical setup of WPI you have your OS and all of the apps, tweaks and such on one disk. After Windows installs, WPI kicks in and you are given a selection of everything you have configured WPI with. Then you can select the ones you want or simply let the timer run out and your default apps will install.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is probably a stupid question. But this is the first I have read of this program. Are there any pre-configured setups that people can download for this program? Something like there is for the Nlite program?

Hi kelsenellenelvian

I have been a member here for a months, learnt about unattended wxp install via RunonceEx.cmd, got this down to a T, but I was going to make a batch file to runonceEx.cmd again after the re-boot, so that i can install Adobe CS + Adobe 7 as I was having problems with the install. Bu guess what I stubbled across WPI via this excellent forum. I couldn't beleive it. This is great, i cannot wait to get in from work to try this out tonight. I will be donating later this week, you guys are deffenetly worth it....

:hello:

Edited by bazk

• 1 month later...

Dear Kel

Excellent job. :thumbup BTW, could you post a detailed "how to" and "what happens when" during the entire process when wpi.hta is invoked till its completion ? In "How to", you may like to specify how to add applications in WPI (although it has been explained in some detail in WPA website) and modify (if it is not objectionable) the wpi.hta file to make a custom installation pack. I could not figure out how the settings in WPI are exported to RunOnceEx after the 'Begin' button is clicked. Help ? :no:

• 1 month later...

Perhaps somebody have above problem. I put entries from config.js (WPI) into wait.ini (W.A.I.T) ... and used W.A.I.T. , its interface is like WPI, but W.A.I.T. more simply.

I answer myself to my question: WPI needs mshta.exe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm new to this and it looks great :thumbup

I've dl'ed the latset version

but don't know where to begin to get it to work

I know how to add my application via the html app

but what do i have to put in my .sif file or CMD file to make it load after windows has installed?

Don't forget I'm a newbie to this so plain english & step by step...

• 2 weeks later...

Im a newbi.

Where to get a good full inserted config.js

can someone send me that on mystur@divslo.info ?

oh i have a question

i have a error on

could not open useroptions.js

and cant save it too

whats wrong???

Oh and a nother question

When the windows post instal opens?

threw the instalation of the windows or when?