W2k: Standard-PC as default + chipset drivers

muchlux

Is there an easy way to do an installation as "standard-pc" instead of "ACPI" per default?

(Without pressing F5 during early install)

This is because some video+multimedia cards having trouble with sharing IRQ11 altogether.

I've found the information to add: ACPIenable=0 in txtsetup.sif.

Is this possible or does Windows check the integrity of txtsetup.sif?

Additional:

Is it possible to integrate chipset drivers like nForce + Via?

W2k is very slow without IDE chipset drivers on Nvidia and Via boards and uses only PIO mode (~3MB/sec).

I don't know a fully! unattended way to install these drivers.

Best regards

I do believe "Standard PC" can be defined within your WINNT.sif, I don't recall if Microsoft's /Support/Tools/Deploy.cab (unpack and run) allows for setting that particular one or not. IF not, then other tools do, like Nlite, which you could run on a test base to get some info on what to change in the WINNT.sif

Integrating drivers isn't overly difficult, but its not easy either, especially NVIDIA ones - which aren't digitally signed, you need to force windows to ignore driver signing and setup preinstall if its for SATA/RAID, the other thing is to remove all IDE drivers - else windows will write over the NVIDIA ones :(

Honestly I recommend checking out those NVIDIA/SATA threads if you plan on doing it by hand - far too much info to really contain in one reply ;)

Oleg_II installed a RAM disk this way:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=59606

The thing is, you've gotta rewrite the INF to remove the filecopy stuff.

I'll be trying this with my Laserjet 4 drivers but that's really a simple filecopy operation.

muchlux, if you want to send me or post the INF for your IDE chipset drivers, I'll have a look and render an opinion. (If doing this, the best thing is to host it and link to it; if not that, then add it as an attachment to your post. Try to avoid putting it in a "codebox" because it will probably be way too long.)

Edited by fdv

Standard-PC:

I've installed nlite and it makes the following WINNT.SIF entry:

ComputerType = "Standard-PC", Retail

I will try this.

Chipset driver:

After googling around for a while I came to the conclusion that nforce2 is not well supported by W2k and probably never will be.

Without a miniport driver which apparently replaces the Windows IDE driver it will not work well.

This solution is not suitable to be implemented on a W2k Install-CD for different computers.

So I will use a $OEM$ folder with all chipset drivers to manually install after W2k setup.

In the past I've changed from Via to nVidia because of similar issues (IDE,USB...) and I'm totally satisfied with nVidia performance and stability now. The only thing is the time consuming post install procedure with drivers.

Is Nforce2 using the same drivers as NF3? I haven't had any troubles with NF3 on an Asus board w/ Win2k -- of course I did remove ALL default IDE drivers, and tell the install to ignore unsigned...

Edited by Crash&Burn

Crash&Burn:

Which driver Version do you use?

On the nVidia web-page is a NF3 driver Ver 5.11 available.

NF2 driver Version is 4.27 (which also works for NF3 but not vice versa) All are WHQL.

Inside the packages, the IDE drivers have also different Revs.

I had to install also the IDE SW drivers (even nvidia warned to use this). :o

It seems that unlike VIA, nVidia has no driver architecture including all chipsets.

No they say they are WHQL, but they aren't - at least the SATA drivers aren't, not positive about the others.

I've got: nForce_4.27_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe, and think I used the sound drivers from another nvidia download and just tossed them into the unpacked and re-rar'ed of the rest of the 4.27

Ahh I see they've updated since I last downloaded last month or so :P

Maybe they actually are WHQL this time...

Looks like the 4.27 was a unified driver download for (1/2) & 3, and possibly 4 (not sure)...strange that they did such a selective update on Nov.2nd for 3 & 4 only.

Edited by Crash&Burn