Latest news about Service Packs

Gape

I mean, it would be nice if your SP deleted the defective ESDI506.PDR which is known to destroy data on hard disks larger than 128 GiB.

Isn't ESDI506.PDR absolutely needed for proper operation of the computer ? OR have I missed something ?

Isn't ESDI506.PDR absolutely needed for proper operation of the computer ? OR have I missed something ?

Yes, this is 32-bit driver for IDE controllers. Without this file it will run in 16-bit compatibility mode.

Removing ESDI_506.pdr is bad idea. Maybe disabling it for >128GiB disks only.

Petr

gdiplus.dll is not part of Windows 98 SE so hard to say if it should be part of the Windows 98 SE Service Pack.

Yes, I take your point. But still, it is meant to work with 98SE in some way or another:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....lus/gdiplus.asp

FWIW, I have had it installed in 98SE for some time, as per MDGx's instructions (see link in previous post above), and it hasn't caused any problems for me whatsoever. Whether it is worth including in the new SP is not for me to say. ;)

- CTL3D32S.DLL - This file is very old, identical with CTL3D32.DLL in PWS and therefore I think it is not needed at all.

Ah, thanks for that. Yes, I thought that the other 3D Control files might have been installed by SP 2.02, but CTL3D32S.DLL was new to me. It would be interesting to see if a version of CTL3D32.DLL from a later OS could be used.

Hi Gape,

some new files are in Q887616 - Office 2003 Service Pack 2:

HTML32.CNV 2003.1100.6551

MSWRD832.CNV 2003.1100.6551

MSCONV97.DLL 2003.1100.6551

Petr

Edited by Petr

* I'll post 2.0.3 asap which contains some updates and fixes.

* The next major update will be 2.1 or 3.0. But it doesn't contain any exciting features. Do you have any idea?

* I hope I will release 98 Gold Service Pack 2 as BETA soon. Thank you very much for the ALPHA release, Petr.

think like microsoft, what would they have added? sure thecumilatives and the updates but extras like some simple control panel thing that can chang webviews (there has been 5 different versions,wow)maybe that would be 4.0

you could add some windows 2000 looks and names(control panel applets had new names) I dont know

probably call it 2.5 save the even numbers for exciting WOW things

Edited by M_win

Another registry only update for 2.0.3...

From the Visual Studio 2005 Express "Known Issues"....

3.3 Cannot pass a structure to a variant property in an ActiveX EXE object

On Windows 98, you cannot pass a structure to a variant property in an ActiveX EXE object. The problem is on a clean Windows 9X machine, the System DLL rpcrt4.dll was not registered by default, so the operating system is missing the registration key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B5866878-BD99-11D0-B04B-00C04FD91550}]. The invocation fails because of this missing registration.

To resolve this issue

Go to C:\Windows\System and manually invoke RegSvr32.exe rpcrt4.dll.

2.0.3/2.1:

* Updated NWPP32.DLL (to Q250896-v2).

This should be Q250876-v2.

And one question to Hhctrlui.dll - in SPUPDATE.INF is written that it comes from Q811630, but Q811630 contains version 5.2.3635.0 and sesp202en contains version 5.2.3664.0.

Petr

Do you have any idea?

Ideas would include something more along the lines of, as you put it ... exciting features.

I'd like to see more enhancements like "NotePad", desktop changes (icons), etc.

* Is there an enhanced calculator out there somewhere?

Perhaps a way to automatically set:

* System Props | Performance | File System | Floppy Disk | Search for new disk drives = OFF

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

* Or setting RegDone = 1 automatically (does it really get looked at anymore)

* Maybe using values from CableNut to help either MODEM or CABLE users to optimze their values.

What about looking into Microsoft JAVA VM

http://www.xs4all.nl/~smuller/VMSite2/check.htm (works only with IE)

Since DirectX 9.0c is practically a necessity, why not include:

* Security Update for DirectX 9 (KB904706) [Download size: 567 KB]

How about disk space conservation. It may seem useless with most hard-drives being above 40G, but for someone installing Win98SE on smaller (older) machines, removal of useless files might be kind of nice. Some examples come to mind:

In C:\WINDOWS

* dosrep.exe, winrep.exe

* welcome.exe, tour98.exe

Edited by pykor