USP 5.1 Extreme Edition

Gurgelmeyer

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm trying to figure out how to stay compatible with WU without installing .NET 1.1+2.0 from the MSI/MSP. I might not succeed, but at least I'm having fun and how about Dx9??? because in the end there is a .NET 1.1 + 2.0 combined installer (silent), so in worsed-case id rather add that to hfslip.inf than never releasing at all..

BUT i do have some good news >>>

it involves a:

Gigabyte motherbord with

Nforce 340 chiset, Gforce 6100 GPU,

a dual core Amd opteron 165 (1,81ghz) 1mb cash

1.93gb DDR400 (dual channel mode)

153gb (in raid 5) Sata harddrives (provided bij 3 maxtor 300 (80gb))

80gb (ata/133) WD - (as bootdrive)

and than some...

G i stil have to upgrade to windows xp 64bit edition and some other 64bit optimized software to get TRUE power, but as soon as you nead borrow some CPU power let me know,

btw my cpu temp is even just below 40*C (105F).

i probably should wel be able to clock it to 2.1ghz (just by raising my fanspeed a bit).

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any program you can include, or anyway to get CD Burning from explorer?

Are there any programs out there that will hide the inactive icons in the system tray similar to Windows XP for Windows 2000?

both Q's in a single word - NO

though inactive icon hiding could be done of you use an alternative shell (like aston).

but if you try easy cd-creator, or nero (any OEM version would do). you could format some disks that migh get direct-cd true a driverhack.

but i am unsure if this is true for windows 2k too, (i just use an oem version of nero)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I realise that WMP10 cannot be included in the USP. But what about including support just for the Media Transport Protocol (MTP)?

M$ has released a MTP Porting Kit here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

The reason for this is that most new mp3 and protable media players can communicate using MTP only for PlayForSure/DRM support. This is contrasted to players release a year or two ago that has support for UMS (USB Mass Storage). UMS players behave like a removable disk under Windows. Copying songs/media is done using Explorer just like how you would use a USB-drive. MTP players need XP and WMP10 to work properly. Or you could use the MTP Porting Kit linked above and WMP9 under Win2k for basic functionality.

It would be nice to see Win2k getting support for newer media devices. Especially for those of us that are forced to replace dead media players with new ones that demand XP.

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP

this desciption talks about sample code, and also about sys req xp-only

to us this would be of no value unlessther you can get some programmer to port it to 2k and create some sort of explorer plugin for it. or whatever.

People will probably bash me for sure but I have come to enjoy RealPlayer on Win2k. It offers a lot of the features I enjoy from WMP 10 and it also supports DVD Playback on Win2k.

Hi there,

I realise that WMP10 cannot be included in the USP. But what about including support just for the Media Transport Protocol (MTP)?

M$ has released a MTP Porting Kit here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

The reason for this is that most new mp3 and protable media players can communicate using MTP only for PlayForSure/DRM support. This is contrasted to players release a year or two ago that has support for UMS (USB Mass Storage). UMS players behave like a removable disk under Windows. Copying songs/media is done using Explorer just like how you would use a USB-drive. MTP players need XP and WMP10 to work properly. Or you could use the MTP Porting Kit linked above and WMP9 under Win2k for basic functionality.

It would be nice to see Win2k getting support for newer media devices. Especially for those of us that are forced to replace dead media players with new ones that demand XP.

well i for one wont bash you for it.

even though i use Media Player Classic myself, i realy dont hate Realplayer,

it has some stuf that WMP9 hasn't and works quite well,

but i only run win2k on my laptop where a minimalistic setup is prefered.

else i realy might have given it a chance

I have found that the command line cdburn and dvdburn from Windows Server 2003 Resource kit do work in Windows 2000. So does the CreateCD command line tool. I wonder how much trouble it would be to write a shell extension and GUI for CreateCD to be able to use this tool from Explorer in Windows 2000

cool idea with the codecs, i wonder if a hotstreamed win2k livecd could be possible someday?

for codecs there is an active project which handles practically any video

http://www.cccp-project.net/

also it has MPC player included to substitute WMP if you want

Note: Installing all of these separately will not have the same effect as installing the CCCP because the ffdshow build (the core video/audio decoding software) is customized and so are all of the components' settings.

* Customized build of ffdshow
* Haali Media Splitter
* MPV Decoder
* VSFilter
* WMV9VCM
* Media Player Classic
* Zoom Player

Supported formats

* Container formats: AVI, OGM, MKV, and MP4
* Video codecs: DivX, XviD, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, WMV9, Theora, and Generic MPEG-4 ASP (3ivx, lavc etc.)
* Audio codecs: MP1, MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS, AAC, Vorbis, LPCM, FLAC, and TTA

Unsupported common formats

* RealMedia .rm .rmvb
* QuickTime .qt .mov

for the last two formats can use real alternative and quicktime alternative which also register to MPC player

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm#quicktimealt

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm#realalt