USP 5.1 Extreme Edition

Gurgelmeyer

you rigth but like zip support (should just be ripped, and since winzip and winrar (are NOT free or gpl -ware) that just leave 7z as legaly posebility...

must of the rest should probebly be intregrated from $OEM$ folder,

there is this great utill called wait that doesn't nead VB runtime, i think i also has a default option to add to reg RunonceExec (would be real nice for those who use partial-unattended (for example leve blank pc name / user name / serial nr. ) who could now also select software to install)

in that case it could work as a kind of component selection

probebly could be a supproject for the EE edition,

like the 2k version of driver packs (witch gurgle hopes for)....

Edited by -I-

The reason for this post is because -I- indicated that he/she might hack some files to turn windows 2000 into a mediacenter-enabled OS.

I've been following this project for quite some time now. Great job in your efforts to preserve W2K. I have been using Meedio on my HTPC which is running W2K Pro. Several versions ago Meedio, LLC decided to use M$ .dvr-ms format for recorded TV which made my HTPC worthless. I've spent several months with trial and error trying to make W2K a mediacenter-enabled OS. I think I've found the solution. It is a rather long explaination so I'll just give a link to the original post I made over at Meedio forum.

I've tested this in Meedio v1.38, WMP v9, Power DVD 5 and Nero Showtime.

Hope this helps someone out. :thumbup

Play dvr-ms with sound in W2K

you rigth but like zip support (should just be ripped, and since winzip and winrar (are NOT free or gpl -ware) that just leave 7z as legaly posebility...

Is ICEOWS not a possibility? It doesn't do .7z files, but it manages all the other major players.

Edited by Targaff

Msconfig.zip

If you use the stock MSCONFIG and help file from Windows XP on Windows 2000, the help file has a bunch of missing images.

The version of the EXE in your installer is 5.1.2600.0, the ver from my CD is 5.1.2600.2180

The only image missing (in fact the only 'image' I see used anywhere) when I open the chm on a w2k box, is

the "Microsoft Windows Graphic". Further, your CHM is missing a whole topic; "Using the Help Viewer".

Though it would really need to be the W2k version., anyway

Minor dif's - but the file sizes are within a few bytes of being equal. So what is gained?

'Ripping' your idea - here is a win2k version which includes the correct ref to W2k help and a W2k logo*.

:D

*Has an XP logo with Windows 2000 pro name.

Edited by Electrician

Does anyone know what would be in the "extreem edition". Its a little confusing, this may be in this may be in, others say no this or that wont be in.

OK I compiled a list. Will these be in or not?

MP9

codec

DX9

XP icons

XP taskbar

msconfig

firefox

Vista icons

I use mine as a workstation so the server componants are little use to me. If I left anything out included in extreem, please list.

• 1 month later...

My .02$ for an EE:

-Windows media video and audio codecs for media player 6.4 (or was it 7? you know, the wmfdist file that comes usually right after installing any media player)

-Koepi's Xvid (sort-of open source, stable, fast, and decodes any Mpeg4)

-MSconfig is good idea, but you can also add the tool Startup.exe

-Wul (Windows Update Lister) to make sure every update is cool.

-Tool to shut down those pesky ports that Dcom etc. leaves open at the end of a Winstall

-Sun Java runtime (who doesn't install this?)

-Notepad replacement (ANY notepad replacement...)

Also, an Extreme Edition could be expanded to behave a bit like a slipstream tool itself, like adding optional files yourself etc.

NIC inf's for many newer Nic's would be nice too. As long as you have those, you can go on the internet and look for other drivers. But without connectivity, that's hard to do.

Does anyone know what would be in the "extreem edition".

Here is your list

MP9 ............. YES

as its is already been desited, and is also a mircosoft update for other os's (xp) and does work on win 2000 as well

codec ........... MAYBE

could be, but i think WMP doesn't need most of them, so i wonder if its actualy needed.

DX9 ............. YES

wil be included also in the 5.2 release if i got G's post right.

.NET 1.1 & 2.0 .. YES

will also be released from 5.2

XP icons ....... NO

XP taskbar ... NO

Vista icons ... NO

this is not something that will add extra functinality n'or stability to your os, if you want stuf like this, try xpize (for win2000), or one of the many shell replacements like desktop x.

msconfig ...... MAYBE probebly it wil,

firefox ......... NO

eventhough im a huge firefox fan i think we shouldn't, for instance firefox is in rapidly development and thus people would be using old version from starter,

also i believe that there already is a browser availible in the OS (MS Internet Explorer) and we shouldn't force our preferences to others, there are many,

Like Maxton (even though i think it isn't any good and still has the same probs as IE)

Like Opera (is also a realy good browser,

Like firefox, (wich has extentions, is also why i prefere it to Opera),

and a whole bunch of others....

there are many ways to use un-attended installers for any of the above browsers,

Edited by -I-

wmp needs codecs to play MANY/MOST content people download these days, like anime fansubs, music videos, funny vids they tend to use xvid,divx,h.264, and other formats that wmp dosnt support.

i say NO wmp9 and just toss in vlc and MPC(real and quicktime alternitive) that would cover pretty much everything and add less bloat then wmp9.

I is right on the media player front; the same argument applies to that as to Firefox (the "browser already available"). It's an "extreme" edition of Windows, not Windows plus preferred apps.

In any event, there's no point at all in including both VLC and MPC - just use MPC for the lot.

and realy this is supposed to be for evryone, lots of people realy love MS-MP9 (even though i have no idea why),

but realy, getting rid of IE and MS-MP9 is as simple as

use Nlite

1> copy %cdrom%\I386 to c:\w2k\

2> intergrate w2ksp55.exe to the source

3> (remove IE / WMP (and whatever),

4> (use nlite addons to simply add VLC or Klite codec pack and what ever else you want)

mpc lacks proper support for some formats, vlc can for one thing run/play .bin and .iso and any other cd/dvd image file dirrectly (for video content) also mpc (i have the latest) gets wonky at times with h.264 content that has vorbis audio(also called .ogg) this may not seem like much of an issue but its quite annoing for those of us who download anime and other content with multi audio tracks in non mp2/mp3 formats.

vlc isnt updated neerly as offten as FireFaux but it lacks support for quicktime and real media formats, not that they are essincial but you cant get the codecs without MPC coming along for the ride(no strate codec installer....wish there was)

personaly i gave up on mcp as primary long ago, vlc is primary and TCMP is backup with MCP as a "i should remove that but its to much bother" app.

just just the k-lite mega-codecs pack with klite-mega-v#.exe /makeunattended - ant create your own set of to install features, (yest you can leave aut both mpc and that other player, ater this is installed just run your vlc (or whatever other media-player setup).