USP 5.1 Extreme Edition

Gurgelmeyer

I've played with the ReactOS shell...it's definitely light on memory, but it also doesn't do all that much :lol: It would be good for running Win2k on older hardware, though, where memory and resources are at a premium.

Anyhow, I hope I'm not hijacking this thread by posting this (would a new thread on TClock3 be appropriate? Any thoughts?) but I figured I'd post another screenshot to show my progress. This one uses a slightly different skin (it uses parts of the WB VistaXP skin), and it also shows a shot of my replacement for the TClock executable). I have all of the major parts of the executable finished, and I was able to get it working from a bare install (meaning it makes all of the necessary registry entries itself). There's still a lot of i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed, but it's getting there now. When I release it I want the full skinning portion to use WindowBlinds-format images (in terms of how different frames are placed on the image) so no one will have to go through the pain of modifying skins to use with this.

Note the drop shadows under the text on the taskbar buttons. I will also do this to the clock as well, but haven't yet. The "force smooth text" option renders the taskbar buttons and text at 2x size in the background and then scrunches them down to the real size. The reason is that Windows won't anti-alias text when you're only drawing it at 9pt. It slows things down, but it's there for people with fast PC's to play with. The enable different alpha values setting is for semi-transparent taskbars (see a couple of posts above for a screenie), where you want different transparencies for different things (like having the selected task be opaque, or at least more opaque than the taskbar). It also slows things down (and isn't yet perfect).

There is still a lot of work left (and still quite a few visual glitches to fix), but it's definitely usable now in its present form. I have it running on a second box now where I'll let it run to see if it stays up...

post-68113-1133089531_thumb.jpg

Edited by WildBill

Anyone know how to get T Clock Lite to display in 12 hour format instead of 24 hour format?

By T Clock Lite do you mean TClock2? If so, it's in the Tclock2 Properties (right click on tray clock) under Format, check 12H.

If not, err, clearly I dunno ;)

Edited by Targaff

I ment TClock Lite:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/kazubon/tclocklight/

There is no GUI. Just the ini file which has your settings. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows what I can add to the ini file to display in 12 hour format instead of 24 hour format.

Thanks anyways though. ;)

Take Care,

Will

Edited by war59312

browsing the net, i stumbled upon a realy nice looking litle, app, called, desktop architect. - and to runs, quite well, way better than, for example,

windowsblinds (and stuf like that), witch is freeware, - so what im wondering , is if it would be possible, to install this (not as softwere) but as a windows service. - and change som regestry values, so in can completely replace the default (als in <rclick on desktop> and <config panel> (only ting is that we might also need a screenres tool now, or we wont be able to switch... ???

any way, its just a suggestion (in any one knows how this could be done, id love to have these kinds of features aval as, add-ons (for example, (instalable as either hotfix, or other AI.pachage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi (yeah - I'm back!) :)

There's one thing that we need to consider when providing alternative desktops: will these have a bad influence on Terminal Services clients? Or generally put: should 5.1 EE be a Workstation-only USP?

As far as Window Blinds I love that product - but last time I checked (about 2 yrs ago I think) it wasn't very stable - has it improved?

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

PS - almost everything is "possible" btw :lol:

yes windows 2000 uSP-5 Xtreme Edition. should be concidered 'destop only'

(even though we may invite users to start a topic on a server project,

I'm thinking maybe we could start thinking of a single hotfix (or SP)

for IIS-related patches, to be slipstreamed after usp5.1)

yes windows blinds has inproved over the last year or so,

but I'm not convinced it should be intergated into the servicepack,

but rather as add-on (unattendedly installed as service)

it still bloated my system (1.7ghz celeron with 256rm ram) at startup.

but this probebly goes for all 3rd party add-one,

I'm voting for creating setup-packages and a configuration-file

(with the most tools and utills we want to have in uSP 5 Xtreme Edition)

and create 2 ways to install,

> A fully automated batchfile,

> And a Setup-selection tool.

and distubete it as a pre-build $oem$ folder.

Edited by -I-

• 4 weeks later...
Here's what I'm currently considering for 5.1 EE:

- MSCONFIG

Thanks in advance,

Gurgelmeyer B)

If you use the stock MSCONFIG and help file from Windows XP on Windows 2000, the help file has a bunch of missing images.

I decompiled the help file, removed the bad image references, and recompiled it.

You can get the full installer here...

http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2k_msconfig_setup.exe

****! u guys are awesome...

I only just happened to stumble on this. Very cool..

My $0.02 worth.

Stick with actual windows componants for the SP with nLite or Win2kLite type options maybe (if that can be done).

Then have the 3rd-party type apps/replacements in the add/remove.

From the little I know, would this not be an easier way to go..?

Cheerz..

yes it could be, BUT, many of the options dicused are (or could be) Operating System Improvement, for example, it could be desides that, the standard archived folder option is outdate and/or to unstable to meet our likings, in that case it would be better and save a lot of space on YOUR system if we'd replace it instead of letting it reside (un-usefully) on your harddrive.

for those kinds of options - it is conciderend to intergrate them into the OS rather than as optional (installable components),

BUT as soon as the 5.5 (extreme edition will be avail) ill concider making a selfextracting $oem$ folder to use with the uSP5.5 source and where you can select wheter you want to isntall about a dozen of aditional inprovements un-attended or be presented with a list to pick options (at windows setup).

That $OEM$ folder will at least contain,

• TCPIP.sys
    --> simutainious conection hack
  • SFPC.dll (is that correct???)
    --> fileprotection disabled
  • dmadmin.exe / dmboot.sys / dmconfig.dll
    --> enable software raid in windows.2000 profesional
    (requires: 2+ harddisks for raid 0 and 1 or 3+ for raid 5)
  • ntoskrnl.exe
    --> modified bootscreen hack
  • and perhaps some other hacked win2k filess
  • sbe.dll / sbeio.dll / wmvcore2.dll (Windows XP SP1)
    --> required filed to turn windows 2000 into a mediacenter-enabled OS
  • ntdetect.com (from windows xp (or 2k3))
    --> fixing slow windows bootup on many systems.
  • and perhaps 1 or 2 other hacked files.

NOTE: (meaning of the colors)

> Files comming from the original windows 2000 OS, but a hacked, or modyfied for beter performance of adding cosmetics to your system,

"hacking windows files is concidered illigal in most countries"

> Files taken from other, operating systems, Like windows XP or Server 2003, You should have a valid licence for the newest OS you have taken a file from, and could use downgrade rights for the rest...

Hacking an OS is Allways illigal, but if you have a licence for all the files used (windows licence for the OS from wich the files are taken, -

And if you do not use it commercialy, MircoSoft may let you off the hook,

but do note it is still always at your own risk and should mind that you will in all cases lose support, or anny warrenties...

Edited by -I-

my two bits: (1 and 0)

Tweakui / msconfig / 256 color tray / mobo INF's most def (ed: Reg entry to allow rt click for registering dll/ocx/ax files)Register_OcxAxDll.zip

ASPI Layer, GRC ASPI ID tool http://www.grc.com/tip/id.htm

MS RDP / Icon transparency / XP icons nice bonus (ed: M$ has a free wNTipcfg thats nice)

98 zip folders BLECH!

I used to use IconLock, great and stable, but doesn't do multiscreen/multimonitor setups (DRAT!)

ed> Found that M$ has one! Imagine that. A dll and a reg file, don't remeber where I found it, but can't find it via search of M$. http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html

And found a transparent text for desk-icon that is rather nice DeskColor v3.0...

Addons are good - total replacements are bad. Some of us like the shell and don't give a flying rats a** about skins. Those things are best left to post-install or user-integrated builds.

Like all the note-pad replacements - most of us (not all) prefer a different 'pad' but everyone has their own

favorite (EditPad !!!).

Edited by Electrician