Here's what I'm currently considering for 5.1 EE:

- Everything from 5.1 Standard Edition

- MS RDP 5.1 Client

- MSCONFIG

- 256 color tray icons

- XP explorer icons

- Icon transparency (if possible)

- 98 Plus! Zip folders

- Common chipset .INF "drivers" (Intel, VIA, nVidia, Sis, ...)

- TweakUI 1.33

Update: these will not be part of the extreme edition for legal and/or technical reasons:

- Me or XP Zip Folders

- XP OS loader

- Me or XP System Restore

- XP Remote Desktop

- IE601SP2, IE7

- WMP10

- XP Themes

I might consider 3rd party software, such as free codec packages - and I'll probably write a tweak manager (a control panel "System Options" applet) myself.

ANYWAY - I'd like to know what YOU want - the above list is based on the input I got on this in the original thread, but I new ideas are welcomed :)

Thanks in advance,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

If you have the zip folder feature from ME, use the files from the 329048 update. It uses the required files, but in a newer version.

A suggestion would be to try to add the Welcome Screen and Fast User switching.

the_guy

zip-folders

id rather not, (especaily not the ME one, PLEASE), id rather have 7zip pre-configured, and pre-installed, i migh just even be crazy enouth to ask some-one to re-compile to to look (exactly) like expler - the thing is thouh that A: its more stable B: it supports more file-types / extentions C: It is free (and opensourse) D: >>> there are probebly as much as 26 resons why...

Borrowing files from other os's

To go here ist that mutch of a problem, the thing is, I for one just have a dutch version of windows XP pro, while using my rights to downgrade to windows 2K pro, im also switching language to US-English, so if you would want a xp version, id probebly have to download a US- hotfix containing it.

so the moment im doing so, would force me to stredge the eula a real bit (to far??) because im downloading a file thats not ment for MY version of window xp. besides that, id just say, - scew 'm (ive paid loads for 95 / 98SE and XPpro licences)...

but if i want these features (wich id probebly do ;), lets at least, get a good list together of how to get the file if your localized version (dutch in my case) wont suit the job. id have some serious issues if id have to download 300mb just to get 1 or 2 files from the english version of winxp-sp2-enu.exe

Edited by -I-

1.) Uphclean integrated as a default 'automatic" service

2.) .NET Framework 1.1/2.0 as an installable option from Add/remove programs or during unattended installs

3.) WU6 with Microsoft Update and WGA (although unecessary for 2k) integrated

4.) Windows Installer 3.1 & BITS 2.0 Update (I think you're already planning for this right)

5.) Root Certificates Update (latest) integrated

That's all I can think of for now...

Well, sense all the bell's and whistles seem to be done for now until Vista, I think Ryan, nuhi, and gurgle should team up and make it so their update packs can be tweaked too with nlite. It's the age of customization eh? That's just my idea, nuhi, ryan, and gurgle can feel free to slap me if they want.

nuhi, ryan, and gurgle can feel free to slap me if they want.

this is a board on software & computers, not on ur kinky sexlife :P

but realy no nead to team up cuz. ryan vm's updates already are instableble by nLite, and also you can use nLite to tweak a instal source containing his updates.

Same goes for gurgle's sp5. [build 11]

but the thing is, if we actualy want to get tweaks and 3rd party software

or components from other os's,

its probebly a good idea to team up with nLite

maybe to come up with a specialized usp5 tool (based on nlite?)

and only distributed on the sp5.iso (in the tools folder).

Edited by -I-

(*) means, that I won't physically include the files for obvious legal reasons, so I'll have to build an installer which asks for your Me or XP CD. Also, I'm not sure SR and RD will run properly on NT50.

Perhaps a better idea (more inclusive?) would be to attempt to build these things

from files used in various system upgrades\hotfixes...that way you could either A)

provide all the files needed and exclude through EULA legal liability to those who

use the files, or B ) be able to set things up in your project in such a way that things

can continue to be automatic\slipstreamable. This is important to me, and I'm sure

that others would agree one of the things that makes your project so remarkable

is the unattended nature of your updates.

Here's what I'm not considering - for legal and technical reasons: IE601SP2, IE7, WMP10, XP Themes.

I might consider 3rd party software, such as free codec packages - and I'll probably write a tweak manager (a control panel "System Options" applet) myself.

If you're open to using third party packages perhaps you could include WMShell in

your project, thus allowing themes for those who REALLY REALLY want it, and giving

that project a well deserved shot in the arm?

[ http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=68899 ]

--iWindoze

Edited by iWindoze

Perhaps a better idea (more inclusive?) would be to attempt to build these things

from files used in various system upgrades\hotfixes...

that way you could either

A) provide all the files needed and exclude through EULA legal liability to those who

use the files,

B ) be able to set things up in your project in such a way that things

can continue to be automatic\slipstreamable. This is important to me, and I'm sure

that others would agree one of the things that makes your project so remarkable

is the unattended nature of your updates.

Read <THIS> post, about a possible way to get it done.

If you're open to using third party packages perhaps you could include WMShell in

your project, thus allowing themes for those who REALLY REALLY want it, and giving

that project a well deserved shot in the arm?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=68899

For god's sake please don't,

I have downloaded and tested it on: window 2000 sp5 [build 11] and found it to be highly unstable,

for example:

running in in a celleron 1.7ghz with 256mb ddr-ram, with just windows, nod32-antivir, msn-messenger 7.0, open-office v2, and firefox v1.07, It will crash and no window will be visible afster just 5 minutes.

the version nr of WMShell said: 0.7beta but the way I see it, its nowhere near stable:

conclusion: an absolute No Go,

@people. before, we even recommend 3rd-party software, lets at least try it ourselves, to see if its stable for productional use, take in mind that features are there to aid your neads, not to brake down your stability and usability.

@gurglemeyer, I hope you agrea with me that uncluding alfa or beta sofware isn't the best way to go unless its thoroughly tested, right?

Edited by -I-

I've still not found a convincing argument as to why TClockEx is preferable to TClock2. The latter simply does more things better and more efficiently; the only benefit I've found TClockEx to really have is that it plays nice with trays in XP, which is of course irrelevant here.

In any event... third-party apps are probably already straying somewhat from the thread's original intentions, but to stick purely to those that do improve functionality, I heartily recommend RBTray purely for its right-click on minimize function, which I can't live without. I also use PowerMenu, though its great extra functionality is somewhat offset by the fact that it makes the system menu really slow. I'd use WinRoll to replace them both, but I can't get along with the way it's set up and don't know any programming to be able to fix it.

Alright well I was unaware of Tclock2 ;) A lot of apps tend to disappear or become shareware if you don't get them at the right time. Theres quite a few that are excellent, and if they had of been opensourced, memory conflicts/leaks could of been fixed. WatchCat is a good example of such.

Sounds like TrayMenu has some/maybe all of the functionality yer talking about in those other apps.

In any event... third-party apps are probably already straying somewhat from the thread's original intentions, but to stick purely to those that do improve functionality

Valid point, lets remember that, 3rd party aps should only be default installed if,

they inprove in any way, the usability of the OS, should be intergrated as system resource (example: media codecs or runtime-enviroments), or are a great benifit in tweaking / administering the OS. or (as a last) replace some sort of default windows feature, with a better / more stable alternative.

i think, there are about a bilion smak apps that could bring one or more nifty features to windows 2000,

but i strongly feat it would be better to uses some sort of post-installation script to include those...