Reserving drive letter

BigDaddy

My drivers:

C > main and only partition

D > network drive

E > CD-ROM

F > IMAGE DRIVE(ALCOHOL 120%)

When I plug a USB FLASH DRIVE into a PC, WinXP will auto assign it the letter D. Although I have my SERVER's DRIVE mapped to it.

Edited by BigDaddy

I'm almost 95% of the time on the network. Since the Network drive D is mapped to my server's HDD, which is 24/7.

How do I put on persistent?

And why would persistent help, since even when am browsing the network drive and I plug USB FLASH DRIVE in it will still assigned it the letter D

the next time you plug in your usb key go to disk management and set it to something other than D:. the next imte you plug it in it will get the assigned drive letter.

Unfortunately you have to do this with every usb key you would plug in, since Windows doesn't consider a network drive to be using a drive letter.

the next time you plug in your usb key go to disk management and set it to something other than D:. the next imte you plug it in it will get the assigned drive letter.

Unfortunately you have to do this with every usb key you would plug in, since Windows doesn't consider a network drive to be using a drive letter.

That-s exactly what I was doing so far, I thought there was a simplier way. Since XP is so oh and oh "good"

What is weird is that on Win2k this works perfectly.

btw. If Windows XP doesn-t treat it as using a drive letter. Could I make letter D unavailabe to the system and then mount the network driver to it_

• 1 year later...

MCTavish

I read thru your link and as promising as it sounds it wouldn't suffice because it only does that for USB drives. But I would need the 'D' letter assigned to network drive even when installing a new virtual drive(ALCOHOL 120%). Sure I can change it later but it is still a pain.

Thus far I have set the network drive to Z.

Hopefully an answer to this will come