help or tips needed for making 3d icecube icon

Scubar

hi.

im trying to make a nice icon for icechat irc client using photoshop. here is what i have so far.

icecube2tx.jpg

the problem is that it doesnt look very icey like. ive been trying to hollow out the centre part where the other icon goes and make it look more glassy like but im not quite sure how i could acheive this. if possible would anyone be able to give me some tips on what other things i can do to improve it.

here is the photoshop source.

Download Here

many thanks in advance

Edited by ScubaSteve

in your example: try to move shape2 layer to the top

it will hide the logo (layer1)

then in the layer panel at the bottom right try to change layer mode

for example: screen or soft light or expirement with the other modes...

here is also an example, not as good as yours...the cube layer is in soft light mode and above the logo:

sorry i couldn't upload the psd file because it is 2 MB

50783234.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I played around a little bit and imho I think this gave it a slightly better "icon in the cube" look:

1. create a white BG layer

2. Put the icon layer below the ice cube layer

I highly recommend you shrink the ice cube layer so it's only just big enough to cover the icon, because when you size this down your icon inside the cube will be microscopic.

3. Dupe the Ice Cube layer

4. on the 1st (lower) ice cube layer set opac & fill to 100%, and set the layer to "pin light"

5. The other 2nd (upper) ice cube layer set opac or fill to 50%, set layer to "normal"

Honestly your biggest problem is the ice cube itself, which is way too blue (intensional?) as a real ice cube is virtually all white. If you want a more realistic look, you need a new white cube.

Edited by Rhelic

i seemed to be having trouble getting it to look icey like, unforutately the best i could do was that blue colour as im still fairly new to photoshop and havent played around enough with the different layer types. ill give it a go though and see how it comes out.