Question about DVD write speed.

Hey everyone--

I'm in the market for an external DVD-RW/R drive, and I've found two that I like. Only, there is a price difference of about sixty bucks. Here are their specs:

The Higher Priced Drive:

Device Type DVD±RW drive

Enclosure Type External

Interface Hi-Speed USB

Optical Storage 1 x DVD±RW

Read Speed 40x (CD) / 12x (DVD)

Write Speed 40x (CD) / 4x (DVD-R) / 8x (DVD+R)

Rewrite Speed 24x (CD) / 2x (DVD-RW) / 4x (DVD+RW)

and...

The Cheaper Drive:

Device Type DVD+RW drive

Enclosure Type External

Interface Hi-Speed USB

Weight 2.6 lbs

Optical Storage 1 x DVD+RW

Read Speed 32x (CD) / 8x (DVD)

Write Speed 12x (CD) / 2.4x (DVD)

Rewrite Speed 10x (CD) / 2.4x (DVD)

Is the only difference here, the speed inwhich media is read and written? Or, will I not be able to use the cheaper drive with regular DVD's? For instance, if the DVD says 4x:4.7GB:120min or 8x:4.7:120min, will I not be able to use the cheaper one that writes at 2.4x? Or will it be okay, just slower?

(By the way, I'm backing up video that I'll be able to watch on any old DVD player.)

thanks guys--

This is a question about computer hardware, right? So it should go in the Hardware Hangout. If you put your questions in the right place, you'll get much better answers.

To answer your question, the second burner only supports writing to DVD+R and DVD+RW. The first one can do both DVD-R and DVD+R. For more information on the two, look here. If you want to play them back on a DVD player, I'd suggest using DVD-R discs.

As for the speeds, you'll end up burning at whatever speed is lower - the burner or the disc. If you've got a 12x disc and a 2.4x burner, you'll burn at 2.4x. If you've got a 16x burner and 4x discs, you'll burn at 4x. And so on.

Finally, I'll add that if you've got a semi-new desktop (3 years old or newer), I'd recommend getting an internal DVD burner. Once installed, it's a lot more convenient. If you need help with installing it, just google for guides. There are plenty out there.

To answer your question, the second burner only supports writing to DVD+R and DVD+RW. The first one can do both DVD-R and DVD+R. For more information on the two, look here. If you want to play them back on a DVD player, I'd suggest using DVD-R discs.

Finally, I'll add that if you've got a semi-new desktop (3 years old or newer), I'd recommend getting an internal DVD burner. Once installed, it's a lot more convenient. If you need help with installing it, just google for guides. There are plenty out there.

Thanks alot-- looks like I should probably save up a little cash and pick up the more expensive one. So, do most DVD players not play DVD+R? I guess the speed doesnt matter that much to me.

I've got a brand new Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook... and I dont really want to get an internal drive just yet. Plus, my girlfriend will get some use out of a external drive on her Computer too.

moved to appropriate forum, next time directly post in the appropriate forum :)

Thanks, Martin. Will do.

Thanks alot-- looks like I should probably save up a little cash and pick up the more expensive one. So, do most DVD players not play DVD+R? I guess the speed doesnt matter that much to me.

I've got a brand new Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook... and I dont really want to get an internal drive just yet. Plus, my girlfriend will get some use out of a external drive on her Computer too.

Ah... yes... laptops. That would definately move you to an external drive then... ;)

Most DVD players have an easier time reading DVD-R than DVD+R. Buying the more expensive one will also mean that you'll be able to read both formats, while the cheaper would only be able to read DVD+R.

I've got a 16x burner at home, but most of my discs are 4x anyways. A full DVD backup still only takes about 20 minutes to burn. I usually just set it up, go grab something to eat, and it's done when I get back.

Thanks, Zxian:

I picked up a pretty good drive from newegg for around 90 bucks. Totally within my budget, and it'll burn DVD-R/+R and some others at pretty good speeds.

And since it's got a firewire interface, it should run pretty fast too.

I appreciate your advice. Saved me a ton of frustration.