Power Icons changed

diddykong

I've said this before but well done again to Xpero and all those whom have made XPize such a great thing for so many people.

I just installed the latest version on my girlfriends new laptop and was pleased that the boot up screen with the blue X has been removed, and returned to the default Windows XP screen.

On another more mild tip of things being changed, I've noticed the taskbar icon entries for power statuses have been changed by xpize, to be very different and as a result almost un recognisable. Previously there was a nice graphical plug sign for AC power, which has been replaced with a white box. Its totally different, not a graphical or otherwise improvement, and is inconsistent with the control panel icons, and what the user is used to.

Therefore request this too be returned to the original windows power icons, or perhaps a graphical improvement based on it.

Many thanks.

Yes its exactly what Zxian has linked. Nothing like the original windows icons, not based on them, not an improvement of them, and its all together confusing, ugly and conflicting with other control panel, manufacturer power icons.

I've still got a release of Xpize with the blue X back round log in screen instead of the Windows XP logo. I'd like to update to this latest one but will not if it ruins my power icons.

I have a Toshiba, like many laptops it has its own Power preferences, and icons, so its even worse to change them. In light of that, I think this power icon area is a can of worms and should be left alone. Leave the original icons (be they windows or manufacturers) alone. At very most enhance the windows ones a little, closely based on the originals.

Edited by diddykong

Great work XPero, we all thank you for the endless hours you spent on the project.

If ever I am over in your part of the world I will buy you a beer or several if you want them.

I do have a question:

Most of the machines I have installed Xpize on have the "Blue X" boot screen but recently several of them boot up with the normal Windows boot screen.

Any ideas ??

:hello:

XPero, great that you're still working on XPize! In 4.1 you didn't fix the timezone bitmap, someone posted a good one on this forum so I replaced it manually. It's good that you removed the battmeter because I use my own custom bitmap.

IMO the famous red X only used a little retouch but you made a completely different icon, which I don't like that much because it is a bit small and shows that the file will be placed in the recycle bin, even if you bypassed the recycle bin (there is a setting for it in Windows). I like more the red X like in the toolbar of Windows Explorer.

It's also good that the size of the installer is reduced. IMO you should not add cursors in the future. Most people use their own cursors. Personally I made Windows cursors out of the Silver theme for CursorXP. The Radix Phantasma cursor set also looks great with the Royale theme.