Need help on Money 2006 installation!

avantan

Hi everyone, I dun know this is the right place to post this thread but I'm dire to get Money 2006 installed on my pc. I've tried looking for the resolutions everywhere on the net but to no avail.

The problem occurred when I was trying to install Money 2006 and it popped up saying that I do not have the power user or administrator privileges to install the software. But in fact, I'm the only administrator of my own pc. What's the installation trying to say, huh?

I've tried switching to the Administrator account to install but failed. I've also tried to install from a clean installation of Win XP. I can assure you the Money 2006 is not corrupted since I could install it on a different hard drive with Win XP. The only difference between these OSes is that the "failed" OS has "windows", "program files", "documents and settings" installed on THREE seprate partitions whereas the "succeeded" OS has only ONE partition that houses all of these directories. This induced the only reason that the installation won't work or it could be other problems that I do not know of.

Can anyone help with this problem and show a workaround?

Your help is appreciated.

you say your the "I'm the only administrator of my own pc", then state you "switching to the Administrator account ", which would say you have more than 1 admin account.

1; is this XP Home?

2; are you sure your account is administrative?

3; if XP Home, ensure you logon as the super admin user as created accounts are not admin i believe

My main account is an administrator account. I was referring to the default ADMINISTRATOR account.

1: I'm using XP Pro

2: Ain't my account administrative if I installed from scratch?

3: N/A

Thanks for your input.

Read the following article on enabling MSI logging in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;314852

Then try to install your application. The application install will be logged, and the actual errors (not just the generalized dialogue boxes that Windows displays) will be written to the log file. This should tell you what went wrong, or give you an idea of where to start in troubleshooting this issue.

Here is my log file. It is somehow cryptic to me. But I managed to find out that I do not have the write access to ProgramFiles. Com'mon...If I dun have the write access, how I gonna install other stuff into the program files directory. Such a nonsense. I hope someone could really help me out here by looking at the log and tell me what had really gone wrong. Thanks cluberti for telling me about the log files. Totally forgot their existence. :)

Logging information for Money Setup...

Date: 11/10/2005 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 14:48:42 (hh:mm:ss)

//////////////////////////////

Dump of PendingFileRenameOperations reg value:

reg value is empty.

//////////////////////////////

Command line : :

SKU on CD == 0x96

Install contains 10 custom actions

==============================

Begin Custom Action sequence 6,4,8,9

Custom Action PreInstall

-*-*-*-*-*- START: PreInstall -*-*-*-*-*-

Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'ColorBits == 32; ScreenX == 1280; ScreenY == 1024CMnyCustomAction::Init()m_fsSkuThis == [1]Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'CRegPatch::InitUpgrade Install or Clean Install! Expect a new PID and DPID value-*-*-*-*-*- END: PreInstall, Ret: 0x00000000 -*-*-*-*-*-

Custom Action PreInstall result: 0 (0x00000000)

Custom Action MnySetTargetDir

-*-*-*-*-*- START: MnySetTargetDir -*-*-*-*-*-

CMnyCustomAction::Init()m_fsSkuThis == [1]Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'CTargetDirs::Init Entering GetInstallDir...

GetInstallDir() returning :C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006\MNYCoreFiles:

No Previous install path; OK to use existing default INSTALLDIR-*-*-*-*-*- END: MnySetTargetDir, Ret: 0x00000000 -*-*-*-*-*-

Custom Action MnySetTargetDir result: 0 (0x00000000)

Custom Action SalvageCheck

-*-*-*-*-*- START: SalvageCheck -*-*-*-*-*-

CMnyCustomAction::Init()m_fsSkuThis == [1]Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'CSalvage::InitCMnyCustomAction::Init()m_fsSkuThis == [1]Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'COnline::Init-*-*-*-*-*- END: SalvageCheck, Ret: 0x00000000 -*-*-*-*-*-

Custom Action SalvageCheck result: 0 (0x00000000)

Custom Action ShutDown

-*-*-*-*-*- START: ShutDown -*-*-*-*-*-

CMnyCustomAction::Init()m_fsSkuThis == [1]Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'Setting property '[1]' to '[2]'CForceShutDown::InitCForceShutDown::Init cleared [1]::[2]Windows Class [1] not running!Windows Class [1] not running!Windows Class [1] not running!Windows Class [1] not running!Windows Class [1] not running!Windows Class [1] not running!-*-*-*-*-*- END: ShutDown, Ret: 0x00000000 -*-*-*-*-*-

Custom Action ShutDown result: 0 (0x00000000)

End Custom Action sequence)

OS Version = 5.1.2600

Version of setup program that's running:

File :mnyinst.exe: Version :15.0.0.513:

Version of advpack.dll in the system dir:

File :C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll: Version :6.0.2900.2180:

Language ID = 0x0409

Install type = CD

Parsing the CIF for comp list

No components listed

HasWriteAccess check :

User does NOT have write access to ProgramFiles

===============

MessageBox.

Title:Microsoft Money 2006:

Msg:We're sorry, but you cannot install Money because you do not have power user or administrator privileges on this computer. Please have someone with power user privileges on this computer install Money.:

===============

Ending Property Values are ...

ProductLanguage = 1033

WEBPACKAGE = 0

INSTALLLEVEL = 500

VIRGINSETUP = 1

OEMRelease = 0

TRIALRELEASE = 0

ISBUSINESS = 1

ISDELUXE = 0

ISSTANDARD = 0

PIDKEY = R2D433DHG9DQ79WW3DXQ929DY

PIDTemplate = 72706<````=````=````=````=`````>@@@@@

Cleaning up custom action data...

CacheAppPaths Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

CheckMnyReboot Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

MnyCA_UpgradeWarning Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

MnySetTargetDir Result = 0 (0x00000000)

PostInstall Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

PreInstall Result = 0 (0x00000000)

MnyCA_RemoveOldApp Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

SalvageCheck Result = 0 (0x00000000)

ShutDown Result = 0 (0x00000000)

RunFiSku Result = 267011 (0x00041303)

Cleanup complete

ErrorNum = 0

ErrorCode = 0

Hr = 80004005

Date: 11/10/2005 (mm/dd/yyyy) Time: 14:48:43 (hh:mm:ss)

End of Logging.

FINALLY!!!!! After spending several hours to find a solution for this problem, I found an easy workaround. Some stupid Microsoft programmers who created this software thought that ppl would always put the Program Files directory on default drive C instead of other drives.

I spent some time studying the log files and noticed its GetInstallDir() function always return C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006, which I do not have on drive C. I just need to create a Program Files directory on drive C. Voila! The installation snaps and kicks in right away.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to look at this.

Coz I have moved the program files directory to partition D when installing Windows. I'm trying to use RAID on both hard drives. If I installed everything on partition C, even I make it a dynamic disk, it only allows me to set it as a simple volume. By setting the "program files" and "documents and setting files" to other partitions, I can make striped volumes.

Coz I have moved the program files directory to partition D when installing Windows. I'm trying to use RAID on both hard drives. If I installed everything on partition C, even I make it a dynamic disk, it only allows me to set it as a simple volume. By setting the "program files" and "documents and setting files" to other partitions, I can make striped volumes.

you did not metion that...sometimes it helps to post your "custom/tweaked" installs.

Considering that what you are doing will not be done by 99.5% of the population out there that is using Microsoft Windows, that's not necessarily a "stupid" thing to do to assume that the Program Files directory will be on C:.

Did you create a %PROGRAMFILES% enviroment variable? The installer should check for the existance of a %PROGRAMFILES% enviroment variable, If it doesn't exist it should assume the default location as %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files.

To all:

Moving C:\Program Files is a bad idea. We have seen Microsoft patches, Microsoft applications, and 3rd party applications fail to install if the Program Files directory is moved to a drive different from C:. Also, there are some functions in the OS that are hard-coded to use C:\Program Files, which may or may not be changed in future versions of Windows.

Also, moving the C:\Program Files directory removes your ability to obtain support from Microsoft for Windows or associated Microsoft applications until you move it back. Setting the %ProgramFiles% variable will work for most programs, but not all, and MS patches and programs do sometimes look for only C:\Program Files (MS05-052, for a recent example).

Just thought you all should know - this post jogged my memory, and made me check.

Edited by cluberti

Well, as a programmer, should not always assume everything in its default settings. I mean, in this particular case, at least let the users get into the installation phase, then only allow the users to alter the settings according to their preferences. But conversely, it assumes everyone had the "program files" directory installed on C. And this is what the programmers failed to anticipate.

After I managed to open the setup file, it allows me to change install directory to other location. If you provide this convenience for the users to choose, but why, in the first place, does not allow the users to install? :)

Anyway, the problem is solved by a little trick. I'm sure every program could detect where windows installs its "program files" if the programmers correctly code it to do so.

Thanks everybody.

• 2 years later...
FINALLY!!!!! After spending several hours to find a solution for this problem, I found an easy workaround. Some stupid Microsoft programmers who created this software thought that ppl would always put the Program Files directory on default drive C instead of other drives.

I spent some time studying the log files and noticed its GetInstallDir() function always return C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2006, which I do not have on drive C. I just need to create a Program Files directory on drive C. Voila! The installation snaps and kicks in right away.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to look at this.

:thumbup YOU KNOW WHAT....YOU ARE A GENIUS...HATS OFF TO YOU....I customised my XP and I shifted my Program Files to D:/ and I was not able to figure out why I am not able to install the MS Money. But YOU resolved my problem. Thanx a lot. I cannot express my happiness...You are a HERO. I spent hrs browsing the internet for the solution....and here in MSFN I got my issue resolved. Thanx my friend

Edited by hyde