HFCLEANUP - Reduce your source

tommyp

kalo, as Oleg_II points out and I just wanted to confirm, many* of the hotfixes do not really need to be slipstreamed if you use my fileset.

* I did an analysis before the Post SP4 Rollup came out of the hotfixes that existed to that point. I found IIRC that about 6 or 7 of about 25 were really necessary. The rest were in place to address problems related to exploits when the Microsoft HTML subsystem allowed malicious code to cross from the Internet Zone to the Local Zone.

I do recommend getting all of the files:

1. just to make your life easy

2. in case you ever want to make a fully patched Win2k with IE because you have no choice (say, for a cousin who wants/needs to run sh*tware that requires IE, like Symanton's ViruSpyware Popup SuperProtect 2006, with a new "Make A Pentium 4 Run Like a 286!" feature.

And although I say it elsewhere, if you run with my fileset, do NOT bother with IE6. You could, it is possible, but then again so is eating pennies, robbing a bank with a written note, or dating three women at the same time. The shell is less responsive with IE6 when using my fileset, and has a bug where "Open Containing Folder" in a set of Search results does nothing (sounds trivial, but after one week you'll be ready to reinstall).

• 1 month later...
Windows 2000 CD in less then 100MB

Amazing amount of fluff in the original 2000 :o

Do you know of an app that can log all the files accessed during a usual session?

Just curious ... I don't have any desire to completely obliderate Windows. Actually, I thought 130MB was pretty good but if you can do less than 100, good :thumbup

Oleg2, Do you mean your installed source is down to 100 meg? Out of curiousity, would you be able to compare your actuals with this table.

Sorry, my English :blushing: I meant the SOURCE will be less then 100MB (remember, all reducers gave me about 76MB in i386 folder without IE6 and DX9 integrated?).

In fact I'd like to preserve most functionality for an ordinary user (most hardware support and most features) For example I delete speach engine but I leave speach api so that I can install a better speach engine in my native language and leasten to reading some books aloud ;)

PS I also deleted IEXPLORE.EXE from FDV's fileset - it appears we don't need it for Quick Launch :)

I got my commit down to 29meg from a cold boot, with all drivers installed. dx9c/ac97audiodrivers/nvidia drivers/.net1/2.

I used FDVs fileset and Olegs' Reduction files, and a few others files in fixs.

This is amazing.

Can't wait to see your latest reduction fileset and instructions Oleg II :thumbup You rock man!

Edited by kalo

Oleg, I don't see the instructions for HFCLEANUP. Also I'm having trouble following what you're doing because there's threads all over the place.

Let me know if I can help you out with instructions.

I'm thinking ideally, once you work it out, it'd be great if there was an "Oleg Fileset" commented much like FDV's fileset so we could all see the source and then use ; to comment stuff out.

HFSLIP could have an OLEGFILES folder and we could slip in FDV fileset and OLEG fileset, run HFSLIP and end up with a nice ISO at the end with nothing more to do.

This is not my set because I've got the idea, samples and clear instructions from TommyP :thumbup We tried making one set from our files and it's going to be fun for you to test out and give us your support for further devellopment.

I have to agree: I'm too slow with this set :( The metter is I have a lot of ideas that I'm also trying to make out and troubleshout during test process.

But I'm up and ready to publish our set in beta version (we've got one beta-tester by a chance and his reasults even better than mine (kalo :hello:

saugatak :thumbup

All new versions will be placed for free download (if nothing strange happens :blink:

Currently I have an issue with playing Audio CD with old CDPLAYER.EXE (it's deleted from the SOURCESS but I take it from original source) and with the similar programs. Kalo said it's working with foobar (?). It works for me with 1by1 player with CD pluging for WinAmp. But I'd like to find out which file(s) is(are) needed for playing it with CDPLAYER.EXE or similar programs.

I'd also like to understand what are "Media Changers" and "ATM" and could we safetly remove hardware support for them? I remove hardware support for tapes only by now (I can hardly imaging I'll ever need it but anyway if somebody needs this just remove DRIVERS_TAPE.RDV reducer from HFCLEANUP folder. Other hardware types are supported and should be working.

And finally there is something I'd like to remove (I don't use it) - Jet Database files. No problems with removing this for me, just a bit busy again :whistle:

Edited by Oleg_II

The JET database is used for ms office. I'll send you the reduction file for that for completeness. Here's a tip.. .codecs are a pain. But this should help. Use process explorer and/or gspot to see what codecs are being used for the stream. I'm not sure what you are reducing set you are using, but be careful about removing the audio drivers. Even though it sounds innocent to remove them, a lot depends on them for audio/video. I ran into that problem a while back with Nlite.

Codecs... yep, I use Mplayer :P It plays virtually everything without external codecs :thumbup

Anyway, I tried not to remove any files that are needed by the system (found in SYSSETUP.INF and by experiance). Only drivers for specific hardware (a user usually uses the latest drivers for it). But I probably missed something with AudioCD :wacko:

And for office aplications - I use Open Office B)

Edited by Oleg_II