AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo

mentalindustrie

I wouldn't worry about the X2 series supporting 4 sticks of RAM. What your real concern should be is the motherboard itself. Some motherboards may require a BIOS upgrade in order to be compatible wiht X2 processors, so have another computer and a floppy drive ready. By the way, you will be forced to run the memory at 2T command rate and your bus speed will drop to 166 MHz for running 4 memory slots.

By the way, you will be forced to run the memory at 2T command rate and your bus speed will drop to 166 MHz for running 4 memory slots.

thats what i am wanting to know. does the above quote hold true with the new X2 i read somewhere that it was fine but i cant find it anymore.

I have ASUS A8V - 1014 bios (the newest non beta) so theres no issue there. it will detect the chip no probs

but i plan on having

2 slots with 512

2 slots with 1024 of RAM

so i will have 3072 RAM

Edited by mentalindustrie

Yeah, you're going to be running 2T with that configuration. I believe if you lose one of those 512MB sticks, you can avoid running in 2T and keep the 200MHz FSB. I would set it up like this:

2x 1GB module

1x 512MB module

That should work. If you have the time to mess around, you can try runnning all 4 sticks in single channel mode and see if you can avoid the 2T and 166 FSB limit, but I doubt it.

thanks ripken204

4 sticks the the extra keyword google wanted

it looks like it will run at 200MHz FSB which is good.

but it will change to 2T instead of 1T but looks like you only lose 1-2% performance, which is easily outweighed by not having to do pagefile reads