Shutting down Windows

Gagira

I have a problem with Shutting Windows down. :}

Sometimes when i atempt to Shutdown, when it gets to "Saving your settings" It freezes, the mouse moves but it just stays as "Saving your settings" It stays on that screen forever until you turn it of by pressing the on button of the computer.

also sometimes my computer sometimes, when I press Shutdown the Computer doesn't say Logging off or Saving your settings, it Just restarts (It turns off and starts again)

Please Help!!! :(

I have a problem with Shutting Windows down. :}

Sometimes when i atempt to Shutdown, when it gets to "Saving your settings" It freezes, the mouse moves but it just stays as "Saving your settings" It stays on that screen forever until you turn it of by pressing the on button of the computer.

also sometimes my computer sometimes, when I press Shutdown the Computer doesn't say Logging off or Saving your settings, it Just restarts (It turns off and starts again)

Please Help!!! :(

Wow.... *tries to get over grammer errors*....

I think this is caused by having Symantec Anti-Virus installed, I know for me that I had that trouble, but it could also be a program that is trying to shutdown.

Try closing all applications and running tasks in the background and disabling anti-virus and the such, and shutdown and see what it's like then.

Try disabling unwanted startup items, you might want to check by keeping only ur firewall and antivirus loading. RUn a disk clean up and clean out the junk from the system if you havent in a while. Also check your fragmentation levels, run a chkdsk and defragment if needed, these will help improve the shutdown and boot also improve general performance. is ur system protected agaisnt spyware? If not run updated scans with adaware and spybot.

Check out this link

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

This can be caused by an application (or even a print driver, *cough*HP*cough*) holding a user's registry open (do you see userenv 1000 errors in your event log if you just log a user off?).

If so, uphclean from Microsoft can make this go away as well.

This can be caused by an application (or even a print driver, *cough*HP*cough*) holding a user's registry open (do you see userenv 1000 errors in your event log if you just log a user off?).

If so, uphclean from Microsoft can make this go away as well.

OMG, this program is totally awesome. It is going to save me so much time. Instead of having to upgrade 100+ computers from SAV 10.0.0 to 10.0.1, I can just use this instead. I have put it in a group policy and it will be pushed out tomorrow morning when all of the computers are turned back on.

Thanks!

-John

I don't have Systematc antivirus but I do have Mc afee virus, Also my copmuter has a HP Printer Installed and I close down all backround task before Shutdown.

My computer is:

Pentium 2 400 Mhz

128 Mb RAM

12Gb Hard drive

DELL XPS R400

:P

128 MB RAM?

I would invest in some memory if u can...

the price of memory is cheap now days...

I have 1GB of RAM and suffer from the same problem since at least the last 6 or 8 months!

Try installing the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service from Microsoft -> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

On Windows 2000 you can benefit from this service if the application event log shows event id 1000 where the message text indicates that the profile is not unloading and that the error is "Access is denied". On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 either event ids 1517 and 1524 indicate the same profile unload problem.

To accomplish this the service monitors for logged off users that still have registry hives loaded. When that happens the service determines which application have handles opened to the hives and releases them. It logs the application name and what registry keys were left open. After this the system finishes unloading the profile.

Regards.

I have also had this problem of windows freezing during the shutdown process. I have a clean system i run spybot S&D, ad-aware, and spyware blaster along with avast antivirus and zonealarm and i still have this problem though it is not regular. I have noticed that it occurs most often if i leave aim messeger running when i try to shutdown. when i close messenger it shutsdown fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know any long term effects that this may cause. we have many users who are getting this profile unloading error. we have test uphclean and are not comfortable deploying it to all of our workstations yet. If this continues to go is there any documentation of profiles getting corrupted? Actually, reports of anything within the operating system, profiles, or the anti virus program getting corrupted. Right now its only causing users to have a slow log off time which i can deal with. we just dont want anything worse than that to come of it.

thanks in advance

• 1 year later...

I'm having a shutdown problem with Windows XP Pro. The restart or shutdown process seems to go smoothly through saving settings and then the msg changes to shutting down windows -- but, nothing happens, it does not actually shutdown. I have to hit the power button to get a shutdown. It does not matter if I hit restart or shutdown, the same thing happens every time. I have not noticed anything else to be wrong, but not being able to do a restart is annoying. OH! there is one other thing I've noticed (I don't know if it is related or not). Concurrent with the shutdown problem I'm now not able to get Windows Update to open. When I first noticed this problem was right after I had gone to the Windows Update website and successfully opened the update scanner. The program told me there were several updates available (2 software & 2 hardware - both optional); however when I attempted to download & install the 2 hardware updates nothing happened. Thinking I had done something wrong I closed the update window and then attempted to re-open it, only it would not open again or since then. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Astronomer70

Further to my Windows shutdown problem. A Windows help screen that popped up when I was examining the event log suggested I download and install UPHClean to close any open handels that might not be closing when windows was trying to shut down. I did so and installed the program and verified it had started successfully by looking at the event log. I then attempted to do a restart, but, you guessed it, got to exactly the same place as before when everything simply hung. Now, however when I power down and then restart I note that the Creative speaker set function does not work (although I can still adjust the volume through other means). I'll keep on trudging along, but I sure could use some good advice.