Windows Management Instrumentation

bristols

I wonder: does anyone have any opinion about how worthwhile it is to install the latest 9x version of Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) on a standalone system?

What I know about it (I think ;) ): it provides a kind of subsystem that helps 'manage' (control) Windows remotely - on a network for example. ME/NT/2K/XP all have the latest usable version (conforming to a standard, I think: WBEM - Windows-Based Enterprise Management?) pre-installed. The 98SE CD installs v1.1. 1.5 is the latest available version for Windows 9x.

For a non-networked user, who doesn't require his/her system to be controlled from another computer, is there any scenario in which he/she might gain from installing WMI v1.5? Why would he/she need it? Does it help with any kind of internet connectivity for non-networked users? Does it contain certain system enhancements with which individual users' systems benefit? Are there any other add-ons or popular programs for Win 9x that need or benefit from it, or some component from it?

I've also read about problems with WMI. ME users (and some XP users) have reported that WMI/WBEM processes can hog an immense amount of system resources. Anyone know about this? Does it ultimately count against installing v1.5, do you think? Because it allows remote control of Windows, does it present inherent security risks that most of us can do without? Apparently, after v1.2, Microsoft made WMI uninstallable. There are ways around this of course, but this alone is enough to make me nervous about installing WMI.

Any information or opinions whatsoever would be gratefully received.

Edited by bristols

A reply to my own post (if I may), with some more info about WMI for anyone interested.

Found this page on MDGx's site (is there a more comprehensive site for Windows 9x users?!):

http://www.mdgx.com/me2.htm

The experience of the ME user there seems to suggest that at least for ME users, there might be a case for doing away with WMI completely.

What I'd like to know: is this kind of experience typical for Windows 98(SE) users who have WMI installed, and is WMI not recommended for them too?

Sorry if these sorts of question are newbiesque.

Another installment in my continuing (though unplanned) attempt to understand what WMI/WBEM is, and why I might need to install it it under 98SE. :D

This thread is most relevant, but more so for the questions the poster asks than for the answers he receives: :blink:

Why do I need WBEM?

IMO, the poster asks exactly the questions that any intelligent person from a non-technical background would want answered. Although he is an ME user, almost all of this stuff applies to 98 users (I assume!).

And still, after all, he doesn't really receive an answer (as the discussion gets sidetracked and degenerates somewhat), except a "Leave WBEM well alone!" kind of reply (near the end ;) ).

I note that WMI is one of the ME components that MDGx's 98SE2ME doesn't install. ME users: could any of you tell me what your preferences are regarding WMI/WBEM? Is it one of the ME components that you always remove when reinstalling the OS?

Edited by bristols

Hi eidenk, thanks for the fast reply - appreciate it. :)

Can I ask why you remove WMI/WBEM?

It seems to me that it could be because:

i) there are security issues with it (potential or otherwise...)

ii) WMI/WBEM can affect system performance in a negative way

iii) another tool you use provides you with WMI/WBEM's functionality, with fewer negative issues

iv) you don't require WMI/WBEM's functionality, so it is unwanted bloat

v) a combination of the above reasons.

Could you please expand a bit on any of those reasons?

Thanks very much.

I don't know about that but WBEM is possibly a security risk.

Wmi.exe gets loaded for no obvious reason and then runs as a background task (affecting performance and stability if I remember well).

iii) another tool you use provides you with WMI/WBEM's functionality, with fewer negative issues

WMI is used by PC Health which allows you to get system information if I remember well. I use instead Everest and other softs. WBEM is Web Based Enterprise Management. I don't know what it exactly does but have never encountered any software requiring this component despite having installed thousands of software of all sorts.

I don't know about that but WBEM is possibly a security risk.

As far as I am concerned, too, I'm not sure about anything specific, but given the nature of WBEM in a 9x system, it would seem to present at least a potential security risk. Amongst other things, I understand that WBEM helps 9x to connect successfully to remote computers. WMI/WBEM helps to get over some of the barriers that otherwise exist between 9x & NT-based systems on a network. So, in aiding this connectivity, it would seem also to increase the chances of a successful remote attack. However, what I don't know is whether WMI/WBEM somehow 'hardens' 9x connections - I don't really understand TCP/IP-stack stuff, but perhaps it somehow improves 9x in this way. Can any set me straight on this point?

Wmi.exe gets loaded for no obvious reason and then runs as a background task (affecting performance and stability if I remember well).

I've read a relatively large amount about this. This seems to be the most-often talked about reason for getting rid of WMI/WBEM. I understand that there are bug fixes for NT systems, but many people on 9x systems (mainly ME) seem only to end their problems with WMI/WBEM's hunger for resources by removing it.

WMI is used by PC Health which allows you to get system information if I remember well. I use instead Everest and other softs. WBEM is Web Based Enterprise Management. I don't know what it exactly does but have never encountered any software requiring this component despite having installed thousands of software of all sorts.

Yeah. Other things I've read paint a picture of WMI/WBEM as "a window on the deep inner workings of... Windows", offering the potential of conveniently scrutinising system information across whole networks. Again, security concerns surface (for me), especially since 9x doesn't offer the possibility of user restrictions. But again, my ignorance prevents me from having any certain idea of how a specific threat could work (of course, I have an idea). Incidentally, the page on MDGx's site linked in a post above explains how ME users can substitute their MSINFO32.EXE for 98/98SE's MSINFO32.EXE (providing they have Windows 98/98SE), since 98's version of System Information doesn't require WMI/WBEM to work.

Edited by bristols

• 7 months later...

I really don't know what it's for but i have it installed

and it runs in the background

and my computer remain at

System Resource 91% free

User Resource 91% free

Gdi Resource 98% free

The only time it drop under 90% is when i have internet explorer running

other than that i don't think its a resource hog and i have my computer on

sometimes 16 hrs a day.I think it other software that adds to Wmi to help

make it lose it resources.

• 1 month later...

i myself am a network user if WMI/WBEM allows me to access my computer

from a another computer

then thats cool cause that is something i need.I know there are 3rd party apps but

if you seen my computer i have very few 3rd party apps installed.maybe 6 at the most.

What i'm trying to do now is test the files from WinME to see if it enhances stability etc...

But I'm not a very good tester.I don't know how to check for bugs/RunOnce that type of stuff

so if someone out there that has a network like me can you help me test the files.

Also take note it is not a resource hog.

Maybe we can get a Unofficial WMI/WBEM with all newer files version updated if possible.

heres more info

http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/wmi.htm#Insta...%20Windows%209x

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

When setting up M$ 98/SE or ME PC's I run a batch file that takes out a ton of pure Crapola that windows installs. I simply call it: 1stClean.bat

Online Services, .mid files, and wmiexe.exe get the axe.

Wmiexe.exe loads along with Systray and appears to do nothing but run in the background and takes up RAM and CPU cycles.

My theory is: "If you don't really need it.....get rid of it!"

Remember, a clean machine is a happy machine :yes:

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Like i said before WMI/WBEM is aimed at network users.If you don't have a network then it becomes

bloat/obselete.IT IS NOT A RESOURCE HOG.I have a network and this is a handy tool for it.Just because someone doesn't have

a network doesn't mean this package should be overlooked.what about the people who do have a network.

Then we suffer because of discrimination.All i'm asking is help me test the files.

once the files have been tested you can uninstall/delete whatever you choose.

• 1 month later...
Like i said before WMI/WBEM is aimed at network users.If you don't have a network then it becomes

bloat/obselete.IT IS NOT A RESOURCE HOG.I have a network and this is a handy tool for it.Just because someone doesn't have

a network doesn't mean this package should be overlooked.what about the people who do have a network.

Then we suffer because of discrimination.All i'm asking is help me test the files.

once the files have been tested you can uninstall/delete whatever you choose.

What i'm trying to do now is test the files from WinME to see if it enhances stability etc...

But I'm not a very good tester.I don't know how to check for bugs/RunOnce that type of stuff

I too have a big network and would like to see these files updated.

Edited by Hu$tle