DNS ISSUE

kash

Dear all

Please can you help I am stuck with the following problem:

A chap called Dheresh created our website at www.acharrow.org.uk (192.168.155.1).

I have pinged it to verify that it is indeed operational. It is also operational when accessing externally.

Internally however the web browser tells me that there is a DNS error: “dnserror.aspx?FORM=DNSAS&q=www.acharrow.org.uk”.

So there is a DNS issue.

I, using IPCONFIG, registered the dns and even renewed it, but to no avail.

I have spoken to Dheresh too but he doesn’t appear to know what’s going on.

I have even accessed the DNS server just to see but couldn’t see anything that would resolve the issue.

Can anyone out their please shed light on how to solve this problem ?

Kind regards

Kash

age concern Harrow? interesting, I live in Harrow - small world :hello:

As a temporary fix I would suggest manually adding a host (A) record to your DNS server that specifies 212.104.129.25 (your external IP) as the IP for www.acharrow.org.uk, it will at least aid name resolution until a more thorough solution is procured.

Do you have split DNS in your infrastructure? I second the A record creation - on your internal DNS server, you'll need to create an A record pointing to the server internally, and then it should work for both internal and external clients.

I strongly recommend a split DNS if you run the same domain name inside your network and outside as well... ;)

Well I'm not getting anyresponse from: acharrow.org.uk or www.acharrow.org.uk

And the IP you had beside it: 192.168.155.1

Is an internal IP address...I don't know if that is an issue, but it might be.

Also, where is this hosted? It sounds like it's on one of your units...

As I understand it a NS should have a entry for your domain name that equals the IP address...if this entry is pointing to 192.168.155.1 then that's your problem. If it's pointing to the correct IP address, then your next area to look at would be the webserver it's hosted on. Is it blocked? Is there more than one site, and if so do the others work?

I could be in the wrong on most of this, but that IP is just standing out...

well www.acharrow.org.uk works fine for me. DNS entries can take up to 48 hours to fully replicate accross all the DNS server accross the world so it might work for you tomorrow. The domain seems to point to 212.104.129.25

I got to www.acharrow.org.uk just fine.....text from the page.

Welcome to Age Concern Harrow

Age Concern Harrow is a voluntary organization working to improve the quality of life for older people living in Harrow. We act as an advice and information source for older people as well as provide a range of products and services. We employ skilled and experienced staff and work with volunteers to help improve the lives of older people.

[qoute]

Internally however the web browser tells me that there is a DNS error: “dnserror.aspx?FORM=DNSAS&q=www.acharrow.org.uk”.

So there is a DNS issue.

[/qoute]

so this only happens with internal computers? (ie on the network?) when you ping the webpage is that the address you get? (192.168.155.1) make sure there are no DNS A records out there for that webpage and that IP, could be cause conflicts.

Edited by fizban2

:unsure: erm ironfist 241 I have tried to add a host A resource record by bringing up the "New Host" dialog box in Windows 2000 Server. And then typing in age concern in the Name field.

For the Fully qualified domain name I have entered www.acharrow.org.uk.

And then the IP address: 192.168.155.1.

I did not tick any of the two boxes and clicked on "Add Host".

The systems tell me that the host record has been created.

But, the problem still exists, I cannot access www.acharrow.org.uk from inside.

Help...............................

Edited by kash

In your DNS server, do you have an actual domain called "acharrow.org.uk"?

If so, add an A record in that domain named "www" (minus the quotes, of course) and point it to 192.168.155.1.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post, but it sounded like you created an A record called "www.acharrow.org.uk", instead of just "www" in the DNS domain zone "acharrow.org.uk". Doing it the first way will not work - you'll actually end up with a host record in the domain zone you put the A record in that will look like:

www.acharrow.org.uk.<domain zone>.<tld>

Edited by cluberti

kash,

the IP that you are using there (192.168.155.1) is an internal IP that really shouldn't be linked to the website if it is suppose to be avaiable on the internet. do you ahve a intranet (internal) site and a internet site? if only the one page that is for the internet you will want to add the A record pointing to the IP 212.104.129.25.

A chap called Dheresh created our website at www.acharrow.org.uk (192.168.155.1).

That IP address is not correct. 212.104.129.25 is the correct address. If, when you ping www.archarrow.org.uk from inside the network, you receive 192.16.155.1, then here is what may be the case:

#1 you are receiving the internal IP address of your web server.
#1a. your web server does not have your web server software configured on 192.168.155.1 port 80.
#2 you are receiving the IP address of some other computer.
#2a. you must fix your DNS server to report the correct address. the exact procedure for this depends on what exacty is wrong with it.
#3 you have specified 192.168.155.1 in the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) of the machine from which you are pinging. This is unlikely.

Edited by mjc

192.168.155.1 is the internal IP address of your webserver, what I suggested is to use the external IP address (212.104.129.25) of your webserver in the DNS entry. I suggest this because it sounds like your webserver is multi-homed (has more than one network interface, in this case an internal LAN and external WAN) and the internal interface isnt responding to requests for whatever reason (do you use IIS to host it?). If your requests to the webserver are routed to its external interface then the web server will respond, just as it does to our requests. For the requests to take this route, the DNS server you use needs to resolve the external IP to the name www.acharrow.org.uk.

In the long run of course it would be better if your webserver would respond to requests properly on its internal interface (192.168.155.1), but I cant suggest a solution to that without knowing a lot more detail.

Also Im not sure how familiar you are with Windows 2000 DNS, the host (A) record shouldve been for just "www", not the entire FQDN, but it shouldve been created in the forward lookup zone "acharrow.org.uk" (if add the zone to the host it should equal the FQDN)

Edited by ironfist241

:no: I did what you said, by creating the A host and pointing it to 192.168.155.1 but now when I try to access www.acharrow.org.uk internally I get a message telling me the website is "Under Construction".

Externally - no problems.

Furthermore, I have even tried pointing the A host to 212.104.129.25 (our external IP) but still get same message, "Under Construction". At least it's better than getting the error message !

Seriously, I think we're nearly there, there is just that something missing....................................