My problems with the Driver of win98SE

SolitaryStar

I am using a laptop, which has a ATi Radeon Mobility 9700.

Now I have setup the win98SE on my computer, but I cannot install the drive for my 9700 though I tried more than 15 different version of Ati Drivers.

I cannot stand the 16colors and 600*480, so can you give me any help or advices?

ATI also has a driver uninstall utility, that will wipe all previous catalysts, they highly recommend that be used before installing or reinstalling another Cat. So likely you should run that after wiping the drivers. And do a clean catalyst install. 9700 series should just be part of the main radeon download, recommend the CP (control panel) download over the CC (Control Center)

I think the problem is that you have to use the drivers from your computer manufacturer. I know for laptops, when you use a video driver that is from the chip producer (in this case, ATI) it usually won't work. I found this out the hard way with Dell and an nVidia chip.

JLO555 You are probably referring to onboard graphics... in that case you are correct, and are pretty much guaranteed that those drivers wont ever get updated - ala compaq's SIS onboard. While I'm not overly familiar w/ Radeon mobile, in this case esp. w/ ATI in general their drivers should work.

Let us know if they don't -- if yer still following your own thread ;)

I wasn't really referring to onboard graphics, but I've noticed for any laptop video driver, it can be true. The nVidia driver I was talking about was not integrated. I had a 32mb nVidia GeForce 2Go, which according to nVidia's stie, was not supported by them, but by the manufacturer, Dell, which only had drivers for win2k/XP (bastards.) I don't really know what separated nVidia's driver from Dell's driver, but something must have been different, because nVidia's driver simply didn't work. I'd say the same is the case with your laptop.