Adding 256 Color Tray icons

Steve_2k

Who Lock Me? is way too buggy for me. Unlocker on the other hand is great :)

Yes unlocker rocks!! :thumbup

Buggy? I have never experienced any bugs with it. HOWEVER, thanks for the reference to Unlocker.

VERY nice. Beats the pantaloons off WhoLockMe. Hallaylooyah - I am a convert.

• 4 months later...

Ooh, look, I'm a thread necromancer! :hello:

Ok...I'm not sure why, but with 5.00.3700.6690 I get pretty 256 colour icons, and with 5.0.3900.6920 Gas_Hed's hex edits have absolutely no effect. :}

Any ideas?

Kramy,

I have Gurgelmeyers version (patched) it works, and it matches Gas_Heds edits. I suspect your hacked version is being replaced by

file protection. Use ResHAcker to change the ver number of the modded one to..6691 (and then run modifype on it). After you reboot check the ver number of the one in winnt. If it is still 6690 then that is why you do not have 256 color.

Well, here's the thing - all explorer.exe's on my harddrive have the proper hex edits done, and all my windows partitions have SFC disabled, with hack and empty filelist. :whistle: Sending the exe to modifype with the -c arg corrupts the exe so it no longer does anything or is recognizable. :lol:

If you can figure it out, awesome, because I'm stumped. Oh, and I can freely flip my explorer.exe back and forth between 6690 and 6920 while within windows.

I used this utility to force tray icons use 256 colors

http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/win2000traypatch/

(.NET Framework 2 required)

Although explorer.exe version is not in its database, it can scan the file and try to determine which bytes should be changed. Anyway, yesterday I applied this to my Windows 2000 SP5 Build 5.1.2195 and everything seems to function properly.

Just to be sure that the file is properly patched, I used this utility

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color...lorTrayTest.zip

P.S.

Umm, just used the 256ColorTrayTest and it seems that the SFC has restored original file. Oh, well, will have to remove it from DllCache.

Edited by Vaidelotis

I used this utility to force tray icons use 256 colors

(.NET Framework 2 required)

Although explorer.exe version is not in its database, it can scan the file and try to determine which bytes should be changed. Anyway, yesterday I applied this to my Windows 2000 SP5 Build 5.1.2195 and everything seems to function properly.

Just to be sure that the file is properly patched, I used this utility

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/TrayIconIn256Color...lorTrayTest.zip

P.S.

Umm, just used the 256ColorTrayTest and it seems that the SFC has restored original file. Oh, well, will have to remove it from DllCache.

actually that isn't 256 color but 32-bit tray icon patch :D

read it by yourself :D

Win2000TrayPatch - 32-bit color notification icons for Windows 2000

and

About

Windows 2000 is a fine OS, but unfortunately lacks support for 32-bit color tray icons. Instead, you end up with a 16 color version, which looks very bad when applications designed for XP are run on Windows 2000 and end up adding an icon that comes out as 3 colors.

Win2000TrayPatch is designed to fix this limitation by patching Explorer.exe to support full 32 bit color tray icons. The program uses a database of patch locations stored on this site to ensure it finds the correct patch location for maximum reliability and safety. Even if your Explorer version isn't listed in the database, you can still scan to try to find the location and patch it in a slightly less safe manner.

like it said in :

I'd be surprised if that patch is really doing 32-bit tray icons anyhow; rather I suspect it's just doing what the hex edits do, i.e. 256-colour, given that it specifically talks about editing the explorer file and (afaik) there is no such available edit to obtain 32-bit icons that way.

But hey, feel free to prove me wrong.

Edited by Targaff

Ahh, that patch did the trick. Awesome. :thumbup

I'm guessing that by "32bit", they mean that it accepts any RGB from 0-255(not limitted to specific increments). Since systray icons are only 16x16 though, they're really 256 colour. Monitor settings determine if they appear 32bit.

Hey, something I was just noticing - my makecabbed ex_ files are larger than those in USP. What version or method does Gurgel use to get them smaller? Simply recabbing files boosts their size ~5-10%. I have v5.00.2134.1 of makecab.

Edit: Figured it out. :)

Edited by Kramy