The Mindows Project

kokiri

It has nice looking but there isn't any funcions into system! :}

Yes, that is true, and it's why I said that most people should not waste their time with "Mindows." I think that its best use is for special purposes. For example, some people want to put a small computer in their automobile and use it to play music. Mindows might be a good choice for that since they will probably use only one program (e.g., MP3 player).

Phil

It's not supposed to be used as-is, it's just a minimal system on which to build upon.

Spot on

If you want to build a rock steady system, adding only programs that you need and begin to learn how the os ticks, mindows is a great starting place. With it the install process has become a lot more transparent (if you look at the setup files), file dependancies etc became clearer. As LLXX says it is a building block to do whatever you want with.

Just add your imagination

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the board. I did a Google search yesterday for "MS Cryptographic Providers" which only turned up four results, but I noticed a reference to 98Micro in one of them. Being a long time user of 98Lite I decided to see what was being discussed and I ended up on this board. That discussion had several posts with links to other similar discussions, and I ended up on the Winimize.com site and ultimately this thread. Pretty interesting reading I must say. It's really 98Lite taken to the extreme - I love it!

I downloaded min98.zip and ran it last night and it worked perfectly. I especially like the inclusion of the "Initializing Start-Up Sequence" logo screen. I've been using that for years ever since I found it on the 98Lite website. I made a Norton Ghost image of the install and it's just over 18MB. I do have a few questions though that I hope you can help me with. I can build a pc, format hard drives, make partitions and all that stuff, but I'm far from a computer expert.

What do I need to do to have more options available on the Windows Setup tab under Add/Remove Programs?? Currently there are just the two for DOS files and some legacy support stuff. I imported a registry key I exported from a 'normal' Win98 installation but it didn't do anything (like I said, I'm no expert). The reg key was:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents]

And then there were the subkeys or whatever they're called underneath it. But like I said, it didn't add any additional components to the selection list. I'd like to use some things like the Resource Meter and Resource Monitor. Would I be better off just extracting them from the CAB files and copying them into the proper directories?

Speaking of CAB files, why is it that the location of files within the CAB files is always different for me than what I see posted on various websites (for whatever the project is)? For instance, on the Winimize.com site there's a reference to the 5 files that are needed in order to access Desktop Properties. They're said to be contained within the "base4.cab" file. My base4.cab file only has 2 files in it - drvspace.bin and ebd.cab. I had to keep looking in other .cab files until I found those 5 files.

deskw95.cpl was in Win98_25.cab

olecli.dll & olesvr.dll were both in Win98_39.cab

setupapi.dll was in Win98_40.cab

systhunk.dll was in Win98_42.cab

What's up with that? My Win98 CD is legit I think. I got it from Newegg.com several years ago when I bought hardware to build a new pc.

Is there any kind of utility that can search through multiple .cab files to find the files you're looking for?

Edited by E-66

Hi everyone, this is my first post to the board. I did a Google search yesterday for "MS Cryptographic Providers" which only turned up four results, but I noticed a reference to 98Micro in one of them. Being a long time user of 98Lite I decided to see what was being discussed and I ended up on this board. That discussion had several posts with links to other similar discussions, and I ended up on the Winimize.com site and ultimately this thread. Pretty interesting reading I must say. It's really 98Lite taken to the extreme - I love it!

I downloaded min98.zip and ran it last night and it worked perfectly. I especially like the inclusion of the "Initializing Start-Up Sequence" logo screen. I've been using that for years ever since I found it on the 98Lite website. I made a Norton Ghost image of the install and it's just over 18MB. I do have a few questions though that I hope you can help me with. I can build a pc, format hard drives, make partitions and all that stuff, but I'm far from a computer expert.

What do I need to do to have more options available on the Windows Setup tab under Add/Remove Programs?? Currently there are just the two for DOS files and some legacy support stuff. I imported a registry key I exported from a 'normal' Win98 installation but it didn't do anything (like I said, I'm no expert). The reg key was:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents]

And then there were the subkeys or whatever they're called underneath it. But like I said, it didn't add any additional components to the selection list. I'd like to use some things like the Resource Meter and Resource Monitor. Would I be better off just extracting them from the CAB files and copying them into the proper directories?

Speaking of CAB files, why is it that the location of files within the CAB files is always different for me than what I see posted on various websites (for whatever the project is)? For instance, on the Winimize.com site there's a reference to the 5 files that are needed in order to access Desktop Properties. They're said to be contained within the "base4.cab" file. My base4.cab file only has 2 files in it - drvspace.bin and ebd.cab. I had to keep looking in other .cab files until I found those 5 files.

deskw95.cpl was in Win98_25.cab

olecli.dll & olesvr.dll were both in Win98_39.cab

setupapi.dll was in Win98_40.cab

systhunk.dll was in Win98_42.cab

What's up with that? My Win98 CD is legit I think. I got it from Newegg.com several years ago when I bought hardware to build a new pc.

Is there any kind of utility that can search through multiple .cab files to find the files you're looking for?

Its quite handy to have another windows 98 installed different pc/partition/drive to copy the files of the apps dlls etc needed, to copy from (saves messing about with .cabs). Once your chosen apps installed on your full win98se run its executable through dependency walker www.dependencywalker.com where you can see its required files and also use the profile function to see the relevant calls. Copy the missing files into your mindows system folder and your app should run.

Inctrl5 http://www.devhood.com/Tools/tool_details.aspx?tool_id=432 (please do virus checks on any downloads) is also handy to use preinstall to see any reg keys created/altered which you may want to recreate and files copied.

I have often thought about creating an application to automate the process for addons to a basic mindows but time is at a premium these days.

Edited by oscardog

EXTRACT.EXE [only Short File Names = SFNs] or EXTRAC32.EXE [preserves Long File Names = LFNs] are installed by all Win9x/ME OSes and IE 5/6, and do the job just fine. These are command line tools.

More info:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip15.htm#CABEX

http://www.mdgx.com/last4.htm#EXTRACT

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip8.htm#CABEX

Download EXTCAB.ZIP and see the CAB*.TXT files:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXTCAB.ZIP

W95-11D.EXE [and *.ZIP] both also contain the CAB*.TXT files with all files from the CABs from all Win9x/ME OSes:

http://www.mdgx.com/95.htm

Hope this helps

oscardog:

Inctrl5 can be found here [767 KB]:

http://digilander.libero.it/rareware/inctrl5.zip

HTH

Edited by MDGx

Its quite handy to have another windows 98 installed different pc/partition/drive to copy the files of the apps dlls etc needed, to copy from (saves messing about with .cabs).
Yeah, it sure would be, wouldn't it? :D
Once your chosen apps installed on your full win98se run its executable through dependency walker where you can see its required files and also use the profile function to see the relevant calls. Copy the missing files into your mindows system folder and your app should run.
Thanks to the link to that program, it looks useful. In this particular case, isn't the program I want to run simply the 'desk.cpl' applet? Will the dependecy walker work on that?
Inctrl5 is also handy to use preinstall to see any reg keys created/altered which you may want to recreate and files copied.
I have that program but I don't know if I've ever used it. I saw in the reviews that someone said it lacked some of the features of Inctrl4. I have that version too so if anyone wants it let me know and I'll mail it to you if you can't find it elsewhere. Edited by E-66

Hope this helps
Hey, thanks for the link to your site, I never thought I'd talk to the actual owner. I've used that site many times over the years and found the info to be very useful, thank you for creating it. I've always been interested in the 98SE/ME/(and now XP?) hybrid but have never been able to get my hands on a cheap ME setup CD. I've looked on eBay from time to time but last I checked they still were going for $30+.

One easy way of installing optional components that I know of is:

1)use 7-zip or your any archiver that will extract cab files(or just extract.exe, it comes with windows and setup)

2)extract precopy1.cab and precopy2.cab to one folder (such as precopy)

3)In the windows setup tab click have disk, navigate to the precopy folder

4) choose any .inf, windows will look through all and list the components to install

then you just choose files as normal.

Does anybody know how to install on Mindows these Windows98se updates:

1. sesp21a-en.exe

2. 98SE2ME

3. ie6sp1

4. DirectX 9c

5. MDAC 2.8sp1

6. .NET Framework 2.0

7. kup 0.27

8. RPlite5

9. 98MP9Setup.exe

10. Nusb23e.exe (Native USB) :lol:

I were just looking in Mindows capabillity and made an patch for Add / Remove programs in Control Panel.

This patch add new funcions in Windows Programs Options but u must to have Windows98 installation for installing programs.I hope it helps! :sneaky:

Download patch HERE ;)

Edited by nicke85

Does anybody know how to install on Mindows these Windows98se updates:

1. sesp21a-en.exe

2. 98SE2ME

3. ie6sp1

4. DirectX 9c

5. MDAC 2.8sp1

6. .NET Framework 2.0

7. kup 0.27

8. RPlite5

9. 98MP9Setup.exe

10. Nusb23e.exe (Native USB) :lol:

With most of the above I think you might be better seeing how this progresses http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=81090 using the W98_Slip tool from a new installation.

I think it might be easier to do it via this method for now, seeing as some of the above rely on I.E integration,(I have wondered if 98se2me could be done I.E less) and mindows edging towards getting rid of the beast and being replaced with something else.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the patch

You might need to look at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\DX] and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OptionalComponents\IEBrowser]

i.e the inf called

All the best

Edited by oscardog

Does anybody know which files are missing

to run explorer.exe and shell32.dll from 98SE on

the same system configured by Mindows!?

By default there are explorer.exe and shell32.dll from Win95

and when replace these files I always got error!BangHead.gif