Windows 98se Problems

dr911

Hello All,

I have a "major" problem with my PC. He goes...I got a HP Pavilion x1963. I'm repairing the PC for a good friend of mine.

At first..all that came up was the HP "blue" screen. I reset the battery (resetting the BIO's).

Now it comes up with a "black screen" showing all the "Ram"..esc.

Now comes a "menu" that says......

Microsoft CD Startup Menu

1. Boot from Hard Drive

2. Boot from CD ROM

If I chose #1 (from HD)...nothing happens. Just a black screen.

If I chose #2 (CD-ROM) I go through all the options....getting to setting up Windows 98.

I chose "install" and it says I don't have enough HD space. I have a 30 Gig HD.

I thought about "F-disk" the system...I can even do that !

I even try a "floppy" bootdisk....no luck.

I have a "boot disk". Now....do I "f-disk" this thing or what ??

I am running out of options here..please he me !!!

Thanks

(11

You have a few options. First, you could always remove the hard drive and put it in another computer as a slave hard drive so you can see what's on it (whether it has room to install the OS, etc). You could also run scandisk and check for errors this way.

Secondly, you could enter BIOS setup (the "black" screen at boot-up should tell you what key to press. Usually Delete or an F-key) and change the boot order so that the floppy drive is available to boot from. Save changes and exit, then boot from a floppy. You'll end up at the A:> prompt. Type 'C:' and then 'dir' (w/o quotes) to see what's on C: drive and how much free space it has. If the data on the HDD isn't needed/wanted, simply run the format command after you boot from the floppy (format c:). FDISK is for creating partitions, and shouldn't be needed at this point.

Or... it's possible you're not able to boot from a floppy because the CD drive is higher in the boot sequence list than the floppy drive. Remove the CD from the CD drive, then try booting from the floppy.

You can also check in BIOS whether the hard drive is being detected or not. BIOS IDE detection should be on "auto".