problem with Phanton ROM usuage.

coldoven

* Hey Hey *

I've got a bunch of video left over from TV school and I've started to transfer my projects from their DVD's to my 40 GB external hard-drive. So far, so good.

However, after finishing up there, I've noticed that my C drive's Gigs went from 6.01 usage, to 6.70 usage.

Now, I was not on the internet, nor did I download any of the info onto my C drive, just my external drive, via my computer's CD/DVD-RW.

Where did this extra usuage come from and how do I get rid of it? I tried a disk clean-up, to no avail, as well as a degfrag... but other than that, I'm at a loss. I have alot more backing up to do, and dont want useless ROM from my C drive dedicated to the effort.

I know that I'm only using a fraction of my laptop's gigs, but I'm kinda a stickler for neatness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

:o

Is your pagefile.sys on C:?

Sorry, I'm a novice with XP, and am not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you could clarify what it means exactly.

To add more info: I'm using DVD Shrink to create video files that I'm saving to my E: drive, but when I get done with the transfer... well, you know the rest.

thanks--

Besides the pagefile setting, you may also check the temp file folders, windows dskcleaner sometimes won't do its work cleanly. Another thing to be noted is your My document folder. If you use the default setting, then it is in your C: drive and could eat up your disk space when you put things into this folder or when your have some games using that folder.

and your mailbox file such as .pst for outlook will also expand over time and all the default location of these things are in C:, so there's a lot to do if you want to figure out the spaceuser.

Go into the control panel, then system properties > Advanced tab > Performance Settings button > Advanced Tab > Change button. Is the "Paging File Size" listed after C:?

Yes, the "Pagging File Size" is listed after C: it comes in at 372-744 MB. Is there something I should change about this? And if so, should it be set back to default after I'm done with my firewire drive?

Besides the pagefile setting, you may also check the temp file folders, windows dskcleaner sometimes won't do its work cleanly. Another thing to be noted is your My document folder. If you use the default setting, then it is in your C: drive and could eat up your disk space when you put things into this folder or when your have some games using that folder.

and your mailbox file such as .pst for outlook will also expand over time and all the default location of these things are in C:, so there's a lot to do if you want to figure out the spaceuser.

And I'll poke around in these files too, but I dont use outlook.

Thanks a ton guys. I appreciate your knowledge.

thanks for the advice everyone.

what I ended up doing, was setting my C: drive to "No Page File" as a temp option. Then, I set my E: drive (which was set to "No Page") to the same setting my C: was running on previously.

I went ahead and started Nero, shrinking all my old college footage down into video files on E:

Afterwards, not only did Nero work fine, but there was no phantom MB's floating around my C: drive. I'm fairly certain that my Paging File was behind the problem.

When I got done with my project, I simply changed the Paging Files for each drive back to their defaults. So far, so good.

Seems like a real pain in the neck, but I dont have much more video to transfer, so it's cool.

Once again, thanks for the tips--

$ coldoven $