ccApp.exe. Error message

Ali Derrick

Hi,

I keep getting an error message keep appearing which reads ' ccApp.exe. Entry Point not found. The procedure entry point WNetEnumCachedPasswords could not be located in the dynamic link library MPR.dll.'

It appears after logging on and also appears occasionally during my time on my pc. Trouble is that I know very little about computers, and wandering if there is something I can do myself with instructions or am I best to get it looked at by the professionals..

:blushing:

Remove all Norton products, reboot, run "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt, reboot again, then reinstall. This is a known issue with some Norton Antivirus components - sometimes, the install corrupts that .dll. Removing the app removes the possibility that it will corrupt the .dll after you fix it and reboot; sfc /scannow will force the OS to look for system files that need to be repaired (in our case, this .dll will be repaired to the version in dllcache or from the CD), and reinstallation should hopefully go smoothly and there will be no more dll corruption.

Sorry, I'm not very bright, but I removed all Norton software, restarted my pc, went to run and typed in sfc / scannow and pressed enter , is this correct? was that the command prompt? anyway did that, and restarted pc, then reinsatalled Norton but keeps bringing same error.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

ccApp.exe is a symantec file, shared by multiple applications. MPR.dll is a Windows system file (Multiple Provider Router) that has existed since Windows 95. However, in Windows NT (and 2000, XP, 2003, etc), a particular function in this .dll was removed for (massive) security reasons - WNetEnumCachedPasswords. If you're running Windows NT, 2000, XP, or 2003, this error (while problematic) is expected - the function no longer exists, and any application trying to call this function will fail.

If you're running Win98 or WinME, replace the MPR.dll file on your system with one from the Windows CD. If you're running an NT-based OS (and I'd guess you are running XP :)), get an updated version of ccApp.exe from Symantec, because that's where the problem lies - it's not an XP problem, it's a Symantec problem.