geforce fx 5700 & windows 98se

shaddam

hello

got an socket 7 system with k6-3+, via mvp3 chipset and win98se + sp2.0.2 german...

via 4in1 driver 4.35 and nvidia driver 53.xx

but got an problem ... on every reboot the graphic card (leadtek geforce 5700) allocate a new set of memeory range...and windows don't recognize it... instead it stated an resource conflict...

removing the card from the hardware manager , and redetecting leads to correct detection... and then i have to do a SOFT reboot (with shift pressed) and then it works...

someone know this problem? or an workaround? (perhaps in the .inf file for alllowed memory regions?)

here another post from me to this topic...some pcitures and more information...

http://www.k6plus.com/index.php?name=PNphp...iewtopic&t=1476

The fact that it intermittently works leads me to believe that it is a voltage issue.

Most likely that the AGP slot isn't providing adequate and/or stable voltage for that card.

This can be caused by several things...

1) the motherboard's voltage regulators just don't provide enough voltage to the agp slot for your card. This may be a design flaw or the makers just didn't anticipate the needs of modern video cards.

2) inadequate/weak/failing/poorly-designed power supply. This is FAR more common than people realize. There are a LOT of crappy power supplies floating around.

3) failing capacitors on the motherboard. I've had this happen with three different motherboards. This is a huge problem will all kinds of devices that use capacitors, not just motherboards. In fact, power supplies are often affected. Just do a search for bad capacitors on google... http://www.google.com/search?q=bad+capacitors

The solution to the capacitor problem is to replace the capacitors on the board. This can be a lot of work, even if you are able to find the right size and type of caps.

hello krick,

when it works ...it work stable...run succesful warcarft 3 and other stuff...

according to the agp spec. this universal agp card is agp 1.0 slot compatible... so i don't think it is an power or voltage issue... (i would be randomly crashing on load...but it runs stable)

th only issue is the intializing problem....

The fact that it intermittently works leads me to believe that it is a voltage issue.

Most likely that the AGP slot isn't providing adequate and/or stable voltage for that card.

This can be caused by several things...

1) the motherboard's voltage regulators just don't provide enough voltage to the agp slot for your card. This may be a design flaw or the makers just didn't anticipate the needs of modern video cards.

2) inadequate/weak/failing/poorly-designed power supply. This is FAR more common than people realize. There are a LOT of crappy power supplies floating around.

3) failing capacitors on the motherboard. I've had this happen with three different motherboards. This is a huge problem will all kinds of devices that use capacitors, not just motherboards. In fact, power supplies are often affected. Just do a search for bad capacitors on google... http://www.google.com/search?q=bad+capacitors

The solution to the capacitor problem is to replace the capacitors on the board. This can be a lot of work, even if you are able to find the right size and type of caps.

Almost sounds to me like your BIOS isn't setup for plug-and-play. Check BIOS to make sure you have plug-and-play (auto or whatever) and check the video card manual (or website) to see if there's any jumpers or anything you need to do to set it up for plug and play. Socket 7.... sounds like it may be a BIOS issue. Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your mobo.

hello krick,

according to the agp spec. this universal agp card is agp 1.0 slot compatible... so i don't think it is an power or voltage issue... (i would be randomly crashing on load...but it runs stable)

When a computer is starting up is when the heaviest demands are made on the electrical system. There's a big spike in the load with all the drives and fans starting up at the same time. It makes perfect sense that the computer would have trouble initializing a device that demands a lot of voltage like a video card. I still stand by my original assessments.

Just for fun, get your system running "stable",

then run the Prime95 torture test overnight and let me know it makes out...

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Edited by krick

hello krick,

maybe you are right... it can be an initalizing problem on boot up... but the card is always initalized correct but only everytime with another set of memory... this is not allowed for win98se? can win98 se not handle this? if i change the ressources of an other device (eg IRQ) it is detected instantly on startup of win98 no second reboot is needed ...why not on my graphiccard?

hello krick,

When a computer is starting up is when the heaviest demands are made on the electrical system. There's a big spike in the load with all the drives and fans starting up at the same time. It makes perfect sense that the computer would have trouble initializing a device that demands a lot of voltage like a video card. I still stand by my original assessments.

Just for fun, get your system running "stable",

then run the Prime95 torture test overnight and let me know it makes out...

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

I second TargaX's suggestion about getting the latest BIOS, and as krick says, it's definitely worth investigating the state of your capacitors. Both of these have caused me graphics-card problems in the past.

The tops of capacitors frequently 'pop', from which some kind of liquid can leak. Sometimes they merely bulge (and look ready to pop). If you do find that there is a problem with your capacitors, here's a forum at which you might find some help:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

Although this is a side issue, you might also consider updating your driver to version 77.72, the latest available for Windows 9x. But be warned - updating NVIDIA drivers has been known to cause issues with video playback (it can mess up your picture's gamma settings, making the picture look 'bleached').

thanks for suggestion...

got the last available DFI bios... and tried also an generic bios patcher -> http://www.rom.by/

no difference.

i'm aware of the posible problematic of weak psu... got problems with shutdown & or hdd some time before...

abd PSU was reason... capacitators are ok (not exploded nor bulged)

and 2. thing.... the fx5700 was the first 0.13 produced gfx chip from nvidia with low power demands...

look here -> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...nv-power_9.html

agp should also be compatible look here -> http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

tried also the newest 9x compatible detonator release 81.xx (i think) ... same behaviour...

so... i think the reason is bios or win9x

I second TargaX's suggestion about getting the latest BIOS, and as krick says, it's definitely worth investigating the state of your capacitors. Both of these have caused me graphics-card problems in the past.

The tops of capacitors frequently 'pop', from which some kind of liquid can leak. Sometimes they merely bulge (and look ready to pop). If you do find that there is a problem with your capacitors, here's a forum at which you might find some help:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

Although this is a side issue, you might also consider updating your driver to version 77.72, the latest available for Windows 9x. But be warned - updating NVIDIA drivers has been known to cause issues with video playback (it can mess up your picture's gamma settings, making the picture look 'bleached').

is set... also tried to force an irq and changed slot... no difference (ps: irq is NOT shared)

i think , irq is not the problem.

you could check this guide against your BIOS settings

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demon...S_Guide_04a.htm

especially 'Assign IRQ For VGA' = yes

though i kinda suspect your PSU as mentioned above.

checked... no other graphiccard installed (used detonator remover and removed by hand.... and tried fresh win98se install ...same problem)

I would also check the device manager in safe mode to make sure you do not have any old hardware still showing installed or a 98se problem showing more than one of the same hardware installed.

i think your motherboard is old and incapable of properly handling the GeForce FX 5700 graphics card.

you need to buy a newer mobo that supports newer AMD processors like the AMD Athlon 64 kind and newer memory modules. I bet the newer mobos should handle the geforce 5700 video card pretty well. it isn't a Windows issue. it's more of a hardware compatibility issue with the mobo and nothing to do with whether the mobo capacitors work ok or not. plus, shaddam, you did not specify what type of DFI motherboard (model no.) your computer is using.

Edited by erpdude8

Maybe this is explanation: ( from webpage which you mentioned - http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html)

One practical matter which must be considered is the fact that some of the original AGP 1.0 motherboards do not provide enough power to operate some newer AGP video cards reliably. For example, some of the original motherboards using the first chipsets which supported AGP (like the Intel 440LX and 440BX) can become unstable if you install video cards which draw lots of power through the AGP slot. The motherboards can't always supply the necessary current for the newer video cards. So if you're adding a video card to an AGP 1.0 motherboard then it's a good idea to install a video card which doesn't consume very much power.

You can also occasionally get memory resource conflicts by installing a new AGP video card into an old AGP 1.0 motherboard. The video card will work properly until you install the display driver. Once you try to install the driver, a memory conflict shows up. The range of conflicting addresses varies from case to case. This problem is very unusual and when it happens it is rarely possible to fix it. I'm not sure exactly what causes the problem but apparently the motherboard and the video card are incompatible in some way which prevents Windows from properly assigning memory addresses to the video card. In the cases I've seen, there doesn't seem to be any way to predict from the video card chipset and motherboard chipset whether there will be a problem. Sometimes a particular video card chipset and motherboard chipset get along well and other times they don't. I'd guess that it's some kind of incompatibility caused by an outdated motherboard BIOS and possibly the video card BIOS. The one thing you can try is to flash your motherboard with the most recent BIOS. But since it's an old motherboard, the manufacturer will most likely not have anything but old BIOSes available. If you're running Windows 95, 98, or ME, it may be possible to manually assign addresses and get it to work but I've seen people try this and the process is about as enjoyable as a root canal and usually fails to fully solve the problem anyway. If you're running Windows 2000 or XP then it's probably impossible to fix because the newer versions of Windows almost always prevent you from manually assigning addresses, IRQs, etc. That's almost always true even if you select the standard PC HAL while installing Windows with the hope that it will allow you to assign resources manually. If you run into one of these memory resource conflicts then you should probably give up and try a different video card. It's rarely fixable.

Edited by rainyd

rainyd makes a great point. either the geforce fx 5700 graphics card needs to be replaced with a different one (or with another fx 5700 card if yours is defective) or the motherboard needs to be replaced with a newer one that can accept newer types of AGP cards. the socket 7 motherboard using amd k6-2 cpu is kinda old.