Annoyance: "...run Disk Defragmenter now anyway?"

nospoon

Is there anyway to NOT have this stupid confirmation appear everytime I run the defragmenter that comes with XP (other than your common answers: use Diskeeper, competitor defragmenter, yada yada yada)? :huh:

post-56447-1130903802_thumb.png

Why I do not use the official Diskeeper is because it loads a service, hence wasting my RAM, same with the others. I just want to run this crap and not have to turn back and stop because it wants me to have more free space. :no:

Is there some sort of reg hack I am unaware of...like DWORD "FreeSpace = 0" or something like that...I mean there has to be, right? :unsure:

Thanks.

That's going to take a dog's age to defrag with so little disk space free.

So he is out of disk space and he is out of RAM as well considering he dont want to have a few megs running on a service that will automatically defrag for him everytime the screensaver is running...

chilifrei64: thanks :)

others: I actually have 1G RAM--just noticed that even with all that muscle power, it still bogs down XP, since it's memory mgmt sux. Plus I do not trust those autodefrags since one time I used it, the next time I came back, it was BSODed and after rebooting, it would not even boot into windows...thats a horror story for ya. HAHAHHA

1. Windows XP memory management doesn't "sux" :P - first, read the 1000-page Windows Internals book before talking about memory management :rolleyes:. Even with 4GB of RAM on a system, memory management is only as good as the applications you're running, and how the system is configured.

2. If you consistently have less than 15% free space, you WILL do damage to the filesystem in time. And if you don't defragment the box regularly (especially if you run your disks full on a regular basis), that file system corruption will happen sooner.

Either create a scheduled task to defragment your drive, or use the diskeeper service to do it for you - it's as simple as that (oh, and the built-in Windows defragmenter you're using? It's a subset Microsoft licensed for use from DISKEEPER :)). The diskeeper service, when idle, uses approximately 830K of RAM, btw.

Edited by cluberti

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Explorer]

Value Name: NoLowDiskSpaceChecks

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = disable messages)

I thought this reg key only turned off the low disk space popup balloon.

Best solution is to create a CMD script to run the command-line defragger with the force (-f) switch.

defrag.exe %systemdrive% -f -v
pause

Copy and paste into notepad and save it as "force defrag.cmd" or something similar.

chilifrei64: thanks :) Plus I do not trust those autodefrags since one time I used it, the next time I came back, it was BSODed and after rebooting, it would not even boot into windows...thats a horror story for ya. HAHAHHA

That problem may be because of your RAM being unstable. Thus you should get Memtest86. Because I don't have that problem.

I dont have the problems he is talking about either. I havent rebooted in days. I just hibernate and I have observed my XP install memory usage does not go higher than 200 mb when idle. That is with OpenOffice quickloader on and with around 23 processes running. XPs memory management does not suck. It is quite normal for memory to get gobbled up bit by bit to a certain point.....something like around 200 mb or so cause that is the information the system probably needs to run at its best.

When I installed Suse 9.3 on a workstation with a gig of RAM it made sure to hog every bit of available RAM before it would thrash the disk and that is good programming IMO. You want to use up all the fastest resources that is what they are there for. But yeah if there are memory leaks then that is a different problem. I have not rebooted in over 2 weeks and I run a variety of different apps no memory leaks or anything....system is rock solid. Oh yeah I got Diskkeeper service running in the background as well and in the years of using diskkeeper I never had a BSOD.

A better idea would be is to remove un needed files on that drive.

Then defrag the drive.

Here is a HTA that will defrag all your HD or partitions.

Save As Defrag.HTA

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE> Defrag All Drives </TITLE> <HTA:APPLICATION ID="Defrag All Drives" SYSMENU="yes" SCROLL="No"

SCROLLFLAT ="No" SingleInstance="Yes" ShowInTaskbar="Yes" SysMenu="Yes" MaximizeButton="No" MinimizeButton="Yes"

Border="Thin" BORDERSTYLE ="complex" INNERBORDER ="No" Caption="Yes" WindowState="Normal" APPLICATIONNAME="Defrag All Drives"

Icon="http://www3.telus.net/GSMJAK1E/AUABuilder/BgImgs/Hta2.ico">

<script>

//FOR Defrag All

function Pop2006() {

if (DFrag1.style.visibility == "hidden") {

DFrag1.style.visibility = ""

DFrag2.style.visibility = ""

DFrag3.style.visibility = ""

}

else {

DFrag1.style.visibility = "hidden"

DFrag2.style.visibility = "hidden"

DFrag3.style.visibility = "hidden"

}

}

</SCRIPT>

<script language="vbscript"> window.resizeTo 400,255 </SCRIPT>

<body SCROLL="no" STYLE= "8.75pt Palatino Linotype; color:#006c6c;

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient

(GradientType=0, StartColorStr='#e8e4de', EndColorStr='#c7c3be')">

<td id="msviRegionGradient2" width="170" align="Center" STYLE="font:8.25pt Palatino Linotype;color:#000080;font-weight: Bold-Italic;"

style="filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(startColorStr='#e3dfd9', endColorStr='#d1cdc8', gradientType='0')">

<!-- ============= DEFRAG ALL SCRIPT ============= -->

<script language="vbscript">

Dim Act : Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

Dim Fso : Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Dim Drv : Set Drv = Fso.Drives

''''''''''''''''''

Function Rst2

Dim Ts : Set Ts = Fso.OpenTextFile(SD & "\Rest2.vbs", 2, true)

Ts.WriteLine "Wscript.sleep 2200"

Ts.close

Act.run(SD & "\Rest2.vbs"), 1 , True

On Error Resume Next

Fso.DeleteFile(SD & "\Rest2.vbs")

End Function

''''''''''''''''''

Function DfragAll

For Each strDrv in Drv

If strDrv.DriveType = 2 Then

Text1.InnerHtml = "Preparing To Defrag This Drive, " & strDrv & "\"

Act.Run("Defrag " & strDrv & "\ -F"),1,True

End If

Next

Text1.InnerHtml = "Completed The Defragging Of All Local Hardrives"

Rst2

Text1.InnerHTML = ""

End Function

</Script>

<!-- ============= DEFRAG ALL BUTTON ============= -->

<input type=button language="vbscript" value="Defrag All " STYLE="font:7.25pt Palatino Linotype;color:#006c6c;font-weight: Bold-Italic;"

Title="" onclick="DfragAll" onmouseover="Pop2006()" onmouseout="Pop2006()">

</TD>

<Span ID="Text1"></Span>

<!-- ======================== DEFRAG ALL DRIVES ======================== -->

<BR><Div id="DFrag1" style="visibility:hidden; position:absolute; top:1; Left:1; width:1; height:1;

background-color: white; filter:progid:DXImageTransform.alpha(opacity=100);

filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Gradient(GradientType=0, StartColorStr='#bbb7b3', EndColorStr='#c4c0bb')">

</DIV><Center><BR>

<Div id="DFrag2" style="visibility:hidden; color:red; position:absolute; top:59; left:60; width:270; height:20; margin-top:5; margin-left:5;">

<P STYLE="font:8.75pt Palatino Linotype;color:#006c6c;font-weight:Bold-Italic; text-align:Center">

Defrag All Local Drives</P></DIV>

</Center><Center>

<Center><DIV id="DFrag3" style="visibility:hidden; color:red; position:absolute; top:83; left:70; width:270; height:16; margin-top:5; margin-left:5;">

<P STYLE="font:8.75pt Palatino Linotype;color:#0000ab;font-weight:Bold-Italic; text-align:Left">

This Uses The Cmd Interface For Defragging All Of The Local Drives</P></DIV></Center></Center>

1. Windows XP memory management doesn't "sux" - first, read the 1000-page Windows Internals book before talking about memory management. Even with 4GB of RAM on a system, memory management is only as good as the applications you're running, and how the system is configured.
If it would release my memory when I kill an app, I would be more satisfied. I even have the "force DLL to unload" option on and it still sux...or maybe it is the app that is the culprit? From what I have read, its all about the OS.
2. If you consistently have less than 15% free space, you WILL do damage to the filesystem in time. And if you don't defragment the box regularly (especially if you run your disks full on a regular basis), that file system corruption will happen sooner.

I generally do not keep it full like this for that long, but I can quickly fill it up too :( Who ever thought these days that when looking at computers with hundreds and hundreds of gigabytes, is almost like looking at hundreds of megabytes back in the days. Everyone's always like...I need more! :lol:

Either create a scheduled task to defragment your drive, or use the diskeeper service to do it for you - it's as simple as that (oh, and the built-in Windows defragmenter you're using? It's a subset Microsoft licensed for use from DISKEEPER ). The diskeeper service, when idle, uses approximately 830K of RAM, btw.

Don't do scheduled tasks...I turn that memory hogging junk off. I am actually interested in Mark Russinovich's running Windows with less than a handful of services, however, I have yet the time to try it. I knew about the Win defrag being a low scaled down diskeeper :P I just see that it has less overhead then the real deal. Also, with these other 'real' defragmenters, I tried turning off their 'service' and they do not seem to like it. Why need a service in addition to an executable+dlls?