Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

This little snippet here sets the variable strOEM to the \OEM directory on your install CD/DVD:

For Each objDrive in colDrives
If fs.FileExists(objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\WIN51") Then strOEM = objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\OEM"
Next

You can change \OEM to pretty much whatever you like so long as it's on the install media. If you don't want the switchless silent installer executed from the CD/DVD media at all, but rather you've placed it inside \$OEM$\$1 so that it winds up on the root of your system drive, then simply replace this little part:

ws.Run(strOEM & "\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True

with

ws.RUN("%systemdrive%\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True

This little snippet here sets the variable strOEM to the \OEM directory on your install CD/DVD:

If fs.FileExists(objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\WIN51") Then strOEM = objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\OEM"
Next

You can change \OEM to pretty much whatever you like so long as it's on the install media. If you don't want the switchless silent installer executed from the CD/DVD media at all, but rather you've placed it inside \$OEM$\$1 so that it winds up on the root of your system drive, then simply replace this little part:

ws.Run(strOEM & "\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True

with

ws.RUN("%systemdrive%\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True

Excellent - you have pointed me in the right direction - now i have modified the code a little differently to what is above - but it is doing exactly what i want. What i have done is created a self extracting installer that checks and then if it is vmware installs the tools - it all in once exe file - very clean and simple.

I would like to clean it up a little further - would it be possible for you to tell me what the command line code is that you are using in the 7zip exe for "VMwareTools.exe" - right now i am including your current VMwareTools.exe file inside another 7zip exe that i have running the script etc... i would prefer to do it all from a single file - much cleaner...

Thanks again for you work - i really appreciate it!

Edited by `Felix`

Anytime mate :thumbup

EDIT: Well it may be "cleaner" using one file, but then every computer has to decompress the installer even if it's not a VM. Here's the config.txt used with 7-Zip:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="RunHiddenConsole.exe /w msiexec /i VMwareTools.msi /qn"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Edited by RogueSpear

Anytime mate :thumbup

EDIT: Well it may be "cleaner" using one file, but then every computer has to decompress the installer even if it's not a VM. Here's the config.txt used with 7-Zip:

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="RunHiddenConsole.exe /w msiexec /i VMwareTools.msi /qn"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Mmm good point! didn't think of that... i was looking to minimise the use of RunHiddenConsole.exe as i am using it in my completed exe too

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="RunHiddenConsole /w wscript VMWareTools.vbs"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Suggestions?

Update - 20060214

Added Windows Defender V1.1.1051 Beta 2

Updated CrapCleaner to V1.27.260

I'm going to leave the Microsoft AntiSpyware installer up for a little while in case people would still like that instead of this new version. Note that this new installer is pretty far down the list, so you'll need to do a lot of scrolling to find it.

Edited by RogueSpear

VMware Tools V5.5

Home Page:http://www.vmware.com/

File size: 3.15MB

MD5: C82925CB2D9BCDE39AA02237689C13A8

Install from: RunOnceEx

Installs to: Default

Shortcut: None - Control Panel applet

Last updated: 20051216

Notes: This download is actually a 7z archive. There is the installer itself and a VBscript I wrote which you can use in RunOnceEx to install it. The script checks the BIOS to see if you are using VMware and only then will it install VMware Tools with the included installer. The installer must be placed in \OEM on your CD/DVD for the script to work. In my testing, this installer does not work from svcpack.inf. The VMware Tools tray icon is disabled by default, 64 bit support is included, Japanese language support and all support for operating systems prior to Windows 2000 has been removed.

I want to know if this will work when i add this to my WPI install instead of runonceex? And will this work when i place this in "\Install\VMware\" instead of OEM?

VMware Tools V5.5

Home Page:http://www.vmware.com/

File size: 3.15MB

MD5: C82925CB2D9BCDE39AA02237689C13A8

Install from: RunOnceEx

Installs to: Default

Shortcut: None - Control Panel applet

Last updated: 20051216

Notes: This download is actually a 7z archive. There is the installer itself and a VBscript I wrote which you can use in RunOnceEx to install it. The script checks the BIOS to see if you are using VMware and only then will it install VMware Tools with the included installer. The installer must be placed in \OEM on your CD/DVD for the script to work. In my testing, this installer does not work from svcpack.inf. The VMware Tools tray icon is disabled by default, 64 bit support is included, Japanese language support and all support for operating systems prior to Windows 2000 has been removed.

I want to know if this will work when i add this to my WPI install instead of runonceex? And will this work when i place this in "\Install\VMware\" instead of OEM?

No for it to work in the \install\vmware directory you will need to make one change.

Change this

Next

to this

If fs.FileExists(objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\WIN51") Then strOEM = objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\install\vmware"
Next

That will allow it to run from the directory you want.

Update - 20060215

Removed WinRAR

Updated DVD Identifier to V4.3.0

Updated QuickTime Alternative to V1.68

I'm removing the WinRAR installer because it doesn't come in a freeware version and it eventually times out if no purchase information is found. I'm leaving the Winamp installer and will continue to update it because Winamp can be use indefinately without the need to purchase it. Purchasing Winamp only activates more features.

I will not be posting anymore installers that either time out after a trial period. I never have posted installers that require purchase information to run right from the start (that is to say without a trial period). Please don't request that I post any such installers as I will not respond.