Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

Roguespear,

finally i found an installer for ffdshow, and am able to deploy via group policy. Will save me hours.

One issue i found with it is that after doing a managed install, if the first thing performed after this install is not to open a divx or mpeg4 file, and you open say ie, or outlook, a windows installer window opens and then the machine hangs. this will continue to occur until media player is opened, and the ffdshow installer finishes, then all seems to be ok.

Do you have any ideas about how to overcome this.

Once again great job and thanks.

Cheers Gordo

I haven't had this problem. With some of the .msi files, you will get one instance of an activation. A good example is Eraser. The first time you right click anything in Explorer, the msi routine will kick in. But then that's it, you won't see it again. The only product I seem to be having a problem with these days is Spybot and it's curious since I never had the problem until quite recently. But, this is also why I haven't posted an installer for Spybot. All of the installers, both silent switchless and msi file, I have tested. Some, like FFDShow, I've been repacking for over a year now and haven't had this issue.

EDIT: Are you assigning the application to the computer in your GPO? Or to the user?

Edited by RogueSpear

As a part of my testing, I only assign it to a computer, then in security remove from assigned users, and add the "test computer", then look for any unexpected behaviour logging on as a user, then as an administrator, before applying it across the board.

Cheers Gordo

@RogueSpear:

Great job, i dreamed for it you did it. TNX!!!

Neverless, i have "0" VBS knowledge and NOT use RunOnceEx. On the other hand, i have mor knwledge of AutoIt, cmd and i use WPI.

How can i use yr installer with WPI??? or,

Can you write a cmd installer???

@muiz:

As I understand, yr download is VMwareTools 5.5. Isn't it???

It is possible to use it with the latest VMware 5 version ???

Regards

coucou

@coucou, I've never used WPI before so I can't really be of much assistance there. The point of the script itself is that it will NOT run the installer unless the "computer" is a VMware computer. This is determined by using WMI to read BIOS strings. I suppose if WPI can launch a VBscript then you'd be all set.

The point of the script itself is that it will NOT run the installer unless the "computer" is a VMware computer. This is determined by using WMI to read BIOS strings.
that's what i understood and that's what I precisely needed!!!

I dpn't know if WPI can launch a VBscript. Then, may you you write a cmd installer???

Regards

koukou

No I can't write a cmd script because the whole process is dependant upon WMI. That's one of the main reasons I started using VBscript for everything.

What a pity...

Do you know if VMwareTools 5.5.ISO could be used with the latest VMware 5 version???

coucou

Edited by coucou

No. As stated in the installer description, it can only be run from RunOnceEx. I've tried various methods of getting to install from svcpack.inf and cmdlines.txt, but it won't go. The other problem is that the VBscript won't run from cmdlines.txt because WMI is not yet available.

EDIT: I won't be messing around with VMware 5.5 until it's officially released. I have to many other things to do than to mess with their test code that still has all the debugging turned on.

Edited by RogueSpear

Sorry for bothering you agian... I've a last question.

Do yr VBscript could be launched from [GuiRunOnce] section inside Winnt.sif file as

[GuiRunOnce]
command1 = "%SystemDrive%\install\VMWareTools.vbs"

Regards

coucou

@gordo, I have run across the problem you described with FFDShow. I am not experiencing the problems on all computers however, so it's hard to nail down the issue at hand. I have the newest build which is 11112005 and I have what is described as a "stable" build from 08082005. I'm going to pack up both of them and post within the next day or so. With builds of this project coming out on what seems like a daily basis latley, I'm tempted to just pack up the recommended stable build and leave it at that.