USB to PS/2 adapter / converter that works?

Synomenon

I just got this Dell keyboard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5818971530

http://pcpartsinc.com/prods/DE-W7658.jpg

It's a simple USB keyboard (no USB hub built into it). I tried to use a purple, generic USB to PS/2 adapter (has keyboard icon on it), but my computer would give a boot error saying that it couldn't find a keyboard. I want to use it on the PS/2 port because I like having the ability to power on my PC with my keyboard (my BIOS has an option for this). Anyone know of a USB to PS/2 adapter / converter that will work with this keyboard? Thanks.

Yeah. I've tried two different purple USB to PS/2 adapters already. One came from an older Logitech keyboard and the other from a Logitech MX3100 set.

I've also tried a green USB to PS/2 adapter just for the heck of it.

With all three, the keyboard doesn't work. I know it works though as it is just fine when I hook it up to one of my USB ports.

The green USB dooba-wacker you used probably came from a usb mouse :P... I think by memory the mouse and keyboard have different PS2 point layouts... I could whip up some schematics for you to change the values of the PS2 point layouts of the usb mouse thingy to a PS2 plug for a keyboard converter... hope that wasn't confusing.. lol

BUT, thats the hard way around.. best bet is to either goto some non high-corporation and goto some small business, such as DSE and JayCar here in Australia :) they'll be able to help you with no problems !! and get a converter there...

(Harvey norman... or hardley normal.. sucks.. lol)

Or you could forcebly shove the USB into the PS2.. lmao !

The green USB dooba-wacker you used probably came from a usb mouse :P... I think by memory the mouse and keyboard have different PS2 point layouts... I could whip up some schematics for you to change the values of the PS2 point layouts of the usb mouse thingy to a PS2 plug for a keyboard converter... hope that wasn't confusing.. lol

BUT, thats the hard way around.. best bet is to either goto some non high-corporation and goto some small business, such as DSE and JayCar here in Australia :) they'll be able to help you with no problems !! and get a converter there...

(Harvey norman... or hardley normal.. sucks.. lol)

Or you could forcebly shove the USB into the PS2.. lmao !

Yeah, figured the green one wouldn't work as well, but did you read everything before that? I tried two different purple ones as well...

sounds like a USB-only KB.... may not work via PS/2

*I'm remembering the days of the serial/PS2 mouse, when the mouse had to be both serial AND PS/2 compatible in order to use the converter. I still have one of these mouses (meeses?) for when I work on older PC's.

**Another thought- power via USB as opposed to power via PS/2= same? IOW, isn't the power for USB greater than what a PS/2 port will deliver?

Can't remember off-hand.

Just some thoughts.

HTH

Edited by k0pect8

It's "mice". Anyway, USB and PS/2 ports both deliver 5V so I don't think it's a power problem. I'm guessing now that the keyboard is purely USB and has no chip or something in it that will let it work with USB to PS/2 adapters.

So anyone know if there are any in-line adapters that I could plug between the keyboard and the USB to PS/2 adapter that will convert the keyboard's signals to PS/2 and vice versa? Does something like that exist?

It's "mice".

LOL- I know, was a joke.

Anyway, USB and PS/2 ports both deliver 5V so I don't think it's a power problem.
OK- thanks for the clarity.
I'm guessing now that the keyboard is purely USB and has no chip or something in it that will let it work with USB to PS/2 adapters.

That's what I think too.