Fat32 - Ntfs

IncubusXP

Is there any way to change my XP partition from FAT32 - NTFS WITHOUT losing all the data and having to reisntall it all??

I have the "my documents" folder on a seperate partition, if i change XP to be on a NTFS system rather than FAT32 will i have problems reading this folder?

I have read that you lose some of the functionality of NTFS if you convert rather than clean installing with this file system. Does anybody know proof of this being true and what you lose?

Rick:rolleyes:

I think theres a little confusion on NTSF vs FAT32. You can still keep your files protected while in fat32. Just set the security by right click on selected folder. Also if your using more than one user on pc you can select what they see by editing the start menu by exploring my computer and selecting documents and settings/all users. Now if your dual booting like myself I have 98,2000,and XP. XP is NTSF na dthe rest fat32. They can not see or access any of my drives or files. You will not lose any preformance by converting.

-XPerties

Hmmm, well i tried to create private folders under FAT32 but could not. so converted to NTFS for the fun of it. system went very unstable on first boot, constant hard drive access and the mouse had a mind of its own. restarted and system is fine. still unable to create protected folders unless I create them in the Documents and Settings folder/User. Not ideal as I have a very organised hard drive all though i can create short cuts to these folders in the places I want them.

Guest LouCypher

NTSF.. ive heard that before whats it stand for? is it something to do with NTSC? im not taking the p*** im being serious! :hohum [/quote:b30b739ca0]

I never heard of NTSF in reference to video (NTSC, PAL, SECAM)

I'd say it's usually a typo, but it could be one of these:

For Aussies: NTSF = Northern Territory Soccer Federation

For Texans: NTSF = North Texas State Fair

or: NTSF = North Texas Society of Ferroequinologists

For stocholders: NTSF = NetStaff, Inc.

For Norwegians: NTSF = NORGES TRADISJONELLE SHOTOKAN FORBUND

or: NTSF = Norsk Tidsskrift for Sykepleieforskning

or: NTSF = NORSK TEOLOGISK SAMTALEFORUM

For college students: NTSF = National Scholarship Trust Fund

For people from Tennessee: NTSF = Natchez Trace State Forest

For insects: NTSF = North Asia Tick-Borne Spotted Fever