Windows Server 2003 Review (Part Two)

MSNwar

Paul's review has been updated for the FINAL release of Windows Server 2003. April 2, 2003.

Windows Server 2003 Review (Part One)

Windows Server 2003 Review (Part Two)

A small snipet from Paul's article, part two:

As I mentioned in part one of my Windows Server 2003 review, the newest generation of Microsoft's family of server operating systems offers myriad small improvements over the previous generation, Windows 2000 Server. And like its predecessor, Windows Server 2003 brings with it some important choices for IT administrators, corporate decision makers, and anyone else with a stake in purchasing, deploying and supporting Microsoft server solutions. This time around, the changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. One might ask whether Windows Server 2003 is an impressive upgrade. Of course it is. But a better question, perhaps, is whether Windows Server 2003 offers enough improvements to justify the cost and time of upgrading.

Conclusions

It's already clear that Windows Server 2003 is an evolutionary rather than revolutionary upgrade over Win2K Server, and I suspect that most Win2K users will see little benefit in upgrading, unless they require a specific feature or change that's been addressed by Windows Server 2003.

But that's not a complaint. Windows Server 2003 is an excellent product, the best server OS that's ever come out of Redmond. But Windows 2000 Server was no slouch either. By supplying key feature requests and keeping to a modest development cycle, Microsoft is delivering exactly the sort of upgrade its customers demand, and the product certainly supplies enough incentive for any remaining NT 4.0 hold-outs to make the leap. It's not glitzy or exciting like Windows XP, but then it's not supposed to be.

--Paul Thurrott

October 18, 2002

Updated October 21, 2002, October 22, 2002, December 22, 2002, April 2, 2003