Using WinPE to install w2k questions.

Flupko

Hi,

Im trying to install w2k on a server, using WinPE distributed by RIS. Im new to this concept, and just started using WinPE to replace our DOS based unattended server install procedures.

I got the distributing of WinPE trough RIS finally running, but encounter some problems when trying to install w2k. Although I allready found lots and lots of information here on the forum, I still got 2 questions:

First: I use DiskPart to create partitions using the method I found multiple times here on the forum. This creates a fat32 partition for me, and gives it a driveletter, and makes it primary and active.

Then when I run WINNT32.EXE, i get the following message: "No valid system partitions found".

Question: Do i really need to reboot after DiskPart has finished? When i Use WINNT32.EXE with the /SysPart option, the install will run, but do i really have to use the /SysPart option to resolve this?

Second: When i kick off the WINNT32.EXE, it will tell me the following: "Windows 2000 setup does not support upgrading from Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional to Microsoft Windows 2000 server".

I can press OK, and setup will continue with giving me only the Clean Install option, the upgrade option is grayed out.

I need the install procedure to be unattended, and i havent found a way to suppress this message.

Question: Why do i get this message? The HD is emtpy, so it must be reffering to my WinPE its running. But this is the newest version, so why is it referring to Windows 2000 Professional? And more important: how do i get rid of the message so i can make it completely unattended?

Thanx in advance for your reply's guys.

Do you erase all partion info or do you just erase and recreate a partion? It could be that the mbr still talks about the old 2000 installation. I think we had something similar a few years ago but I ain't at the Office so I cant check my scripts. Give me a reminder next week if you havent solved it by then..

No, the "no valid partitions" message is quite expected when you have just repartitioned the disk. You MUST either reboot or use the /syspart switch. Otherwise Windows does not know where to install to.

I believe if you specify an unattend file for setup, that dialog will not occur. Have you done so?

Thanx for your reply's guys.

@ Mats: I clear the whole disk, and start from scratch. But i guess i will have to use the /syspart option like Getwired says.

@Getwired: I havent come around to attach an unattended file yet, will try that next and will post my results here.

thanx for your suggestions and support!

Here is my Run line (VB Script)... Hope this helps.

InstallCommand = i386Path & "\winnt32.exe /unattend:" & GENFile & " /s:" & i386Path & " /dudisable /syspart:c: /copysource:lang /noreboot"

I run this After I have created a new FAT32 Partition. The Windows Install Converts to NTFS later.

Chris

Thanks for your extra info Getwired. Due to other complications at work, I haven't gotten around to test it yet. Ill be sure to post my results here, as soon as i get some time to test it.

Again thanks for all the info and support!

• 2 months later...

hmmm just asking, is 't a stage 2 unatenden ghostfile way easier than this?

/run PE wint dianostics and support tools, if it doesn't fix it, select a

re-install option, formatting the disk and puting the windows2000-Stage2.ghost file on the computer, (or stage 3 if you prefere)

now there are 4 stages in a windows setup ...

stage 1 (textsetup - ather partitioning and coppying the install source),

stage 2 base setup - ather basic setup and $oem$ cmdlines.txt is complete)

stage 3 ater driver install and and final reboot,

stage 4 ather a complete windows install, software installed and a sysprep is aplied.

• 1 month later...

I got it to work in the end. sorry for posting weeks after asking.. but I just didnt get around to it.

My commandline looks like this now:

I:\win2000.sp3\I386\WINNT32.EXE /S:i:\win2000.sp3\i386 /unattend:c:\unattend.sif /makelocalsource /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /noreboot

Where I:\win2000.sp3 is the place where I have my install files.

This way i dont have to boot after using Diskpart.exe to configure the disk.

Thanx for all your help and support guys! :thumbup