Which NTLDR & ntdetect files are faster?

kalo

Has anyone tested speed differences with start up?

Are there any other files i can use with 2k, such as win3ks memory manager and such?

Props for these awsome utilites Tommyp & Fred, I can tell a huge amount of time and effort has gone into them.

I thank you!

i tried them both out, i could not spot the difs. they're both faster than win2k, though.

i now have my nt4 install use the nt4 sp6 on first load, and the sp6 version is modified to be the 2k3 ones.

win2k now sets up the win2k3 ones as well.

incidently, this is the only reason i suspect you have to install nt4 first. if you're handy at replacing ntldr etc, you pretty can install win2k3 first and work backwards (or in any order you want!)

W

Opps meant 2k3.

I'll give them a try see how it goes..

Thanks for the reply.

As for other compatible files from newer Os's, which ones are known/might work on a 2k installation?

Edited by kalo

Win2k3 latest NTDETECT.COM and ntldr is in SP1.

WinXP NTDETECT.COM and ntldr is in SP2. Not sure if they're the latest versions though, might have been updated in hotfix.

Re whether it's legal or not, if M$ lets you download it for free, it's legal enough.

Edited by saugatak

...Licensing...*chuckle* Can't be any worse than mixing 98 and ME w/ the odd XP file ;)

It'd likely even be possible to use even more XP files in 98, except MS hardcodes the dll's to refuse to run, or check bootsector info. Probably what I like about 2000, it feels and looks like a snappier 98 hehe.