FDV+HFSLIP = Reduced source..

kalo

Hi,

I would really like some help regarding this, I know alot of you here are gods :yes: with these scripts!! Has anyone done a slimmed down windows 2k fileset?? ie; just included the basics for gaming and standalone apps??

I know i can do it with FDV fileset but its so confusing and time consuming learning everything about .inf's, when i just want to play my games at the best speed with as much free memory as possible..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been trolling these forums for much of this week, trying to slim my 2k source as much as possible.

PS; I dont want to use Nlite.

kalo :hello:

Don't be in a hurry ;)

Why do you want to make the source smaller? If you just want your computer is faster and has more free memory - please run HFSLIP with FDV's files set included.

You see, the biggest problem with removing files is in you never know if somebody or something (a game for example ;) will need one of these files. And with FDV's set it is nearly safe.

Well, to tell a little secret... If you read FDV's webpage carefully you may find a tip how to reduce some source files :P

Hey Oleg, You one of the gods, i speak of! :)

I think i've read the site 50x now. I've done everything FDV's site says. I'm pretty certain anyway!!

Whats the secret?! rename delfiles to txt or is there more?? Please help me man, your a bloody genius compared to me! :P

Thanx... But I'm not better then you in this. I'm just for a bit more time here that's all. And I'm trying to help if I know something because if I help you with something, you'll probably help me back with something else you know better :rolleyes:

Oh, well, I forgot - you are right! And you found it ;) Ok, let it be the beginning :yes:

Edited by Oleg_II

You can run nlite on a FDV/HFSLIP source. As ironic as it sounds, do not remove IE in the selections. I'm sure that you can get an sourcess\I386 folder down to less than 120 meg (130 meg if you slipstream your codecs) and not lose functionality for all your applications. I found out that using Nlite, you need time an patience, but the payoff is great.

The beginning?? I don't know where to start.. I'm sure there's someone who has made a hugely cut down fileset with nothing but the bare win2k, made purely for internet and games.. There really is no windows dependences with the programs I run require..

@ Tommyp; Nlite seems messy with 2k, but i'll give it a try... Last time i tryed FDV with Nlite my install would randomly freeze. Can't explain it, annoying and i'm no where near talented enough to figure out what was wrong.

Why can't the instructions be a bit more clear on FDV's site. Took me a long time to actually get things going reading the same paragraph over and over, to get it through my head. Then a few days later i come back and I'M STILL READING IT and discovering things, its a god **** maze i tell yas!

Edited by kalo

kalo

I think you've already started - you started thinking where to start ;)

Sorry for this word mess but you know what I'm talking about 'B)

I hope you've already installed W2k with IE removed? Have you tried beta version? Read beta thread also and search the thread - there are a couple of tips here and you are lucky because the thread is not cluttered yet :)

Edited by Oleg_II

@TommyP, could you post your nLite LastSession.ini. Love to see it.

@Kalo, if using FDV fileset and nLite, DO NOT REMOVE WITH NLITE anything that FDV already removed. There's a good chance it'll screw things up.

Also, the trick is to set up your HFSLIP folders right. Then all you really have to do is dump FDV's fileset into the FDVFILES folder and run HFSLIP. Read FDV's website carefully and do each step in the order that he has it out there.

Once your files set up right, it's easy to keep 'em updated. Hotfixes get put into the HF folder, download latest HFSLIP and FDVfileset, put them where they belong and off you go!

Edited by saugatak

you dont need to learn anything about INF files if you don't want to. you can skip around and stop reading the regular process at step 11.

howto in 11 steps: http://www.vorck.com/2ksp4-basic.html

howto in 4 steps: http://www.vorck.com/answers-ie.html#reallyfast

(that last one's been there forever, it isn't a poke at you)

:P

but the process is made lengthy because it combines my howto with HFSLIP's documentation.

just download my files and put them in FDVFILES. the rest is learning HFSLIP.

@kalo, heh a stripped down Win2k must make for an A$$ kicking gaming rig.

FDV and TommyP are working on new beta versions right now. Kalo, did you use beta versions or the older versions at FDV's site?

@FDV, let us know when the latest fileset is ready to go, especially the revised WSH.inf :whistle:;);)

Cheers FDV, Works like a charm.

Much cleaner and faster then Nlite.

Do you plan to reduce source even further in future releases?

Do you mean FDV's fileset or HFSLIP? I can answer for the latter: YES.

@TommyP & FDV, That's so sweet. Can't wait to test them out! You guys are super genius' :D If there's anything I can do to make your jobs easier, i'm there! Any sort of help or testing, im up for it.

@Saugatak, I've used both the latest betas of FDVs' fileset and Tommyps' HFSLIP. Intergrated dx9c, removed DTC & COM, updated ntdetect & ntldr with 2k3 files. Havent intergrated any HFs' yet, my connections to slow and it will take a few hours, which could be spent doing something else :) I havent had any problems without HFs' though.

Edited by kalo