Ques about ASPI insertion W2K3

ratba_tardly

I'm not sure if they're supported in 2k3, see here!.

Also for those adding the files I posted etc. to NT /2k /XP you may need to use the following registry edits too.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32]
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000001
"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32\Parameters]
"ExcludeMiniports"=""

@tommyp

I will look at that KB more closely. Meanwhile, let me refresh my question. I am preparing an install of 2k3 using the method as described by you and fdv on his site. The only piece missing at this point is verifying whether or not SP1 is actually getting into i386 as described. I run the update command from the prompt and immediately get another prompt, no indication that anything has happened, file dates don't change, nothing. So, perhaps the XP/2k3 instructtions need to have another line or two inserted to reflect what M$ claims. Because, as I am using an XP machine to build the source, since I don't have access to any other, I am not getting the expected result.

Anyway, thanks for looking up the KB. I guess I should have, but it didn't occur to me that this would be a M$ problem (silly bunt).

@yzowl

According to this link from fdv, adaptec, 2k3 is supported. Also, for anyone with doubts about using XP drivers for anything, have a look here to see some mysteries debunked. I don't know from firsthand experience, yet.

rb

ratba_tardly

An additional question about using the command d:\sp\i386\update\update.exe -s:d:\ (using Fred's example in step 2.): shouldn't the file dates change in D:\i386 as a result of the update? Nothing happens when I type the command as shown, except that I immediately get a new prompt.

what happens when you type

d:\sp\i386\update\update.exe /?

i KNOW this sounds insulting, but often when a service pack does not slipstream, there is either a typo (not the case here) or the files are not in the directory they're supposed to be in. your windows 2003 files are in D:\i386, right? your expanded service pack is in D:\SP, right? i am sure you would have checked these things, but just in case you did not, make sure on those.

fdv,

On the XP machine I get message about not having admin rights to update XP. Since I know I won't get those anytime soon, I went next door and borrowed my neighbors laptop running w2k. When I run the help switch, I get expected help screen, but no -s switch is listed. Huh...? What is the -s switch for? Undocumented, no doubt.

Running the update command on the 2k machine gets me a message about "failing to copy some or all the files necessary" message. The second "Please check that" asks if the "format of the destination directory is correct." Does it need to be an NTFS formatted drive? Anyway, I can't see any files that have been updated.

Regarding your comment about doing an IE-less version of your files for 2k3: I'd be your first customer! I don't have the skills or knowledged to do this, having looked over the Method for 2k. I hate IE, but not enough learn all that you apparently know about the structure of windows.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rb

Okay, found the -s switch info. The 2k laptop is using FAT32, as is the network drive. Rats! (sorry) I am about to lose both machines, and I can't get this to work. I am going to try moving all the files to the 2k machine's drive and see if I can really screw up his machine! No, I will just try it with the directory specified. I hope this works.

rb

tommyp

You may probably need ASPI if you are using some old but good programs for converting CD to MP3, for copying CDs, writing on USB CD-Recorders or something similar. New versions rarely use this functionality. But sometimes it may be useful.

I think what you mean...is (though I'm not 100%!) the commercial products provide their own "layer" (as one is definitely required), and prior to the current plethora of them...I do believe Adaptec's was the standard.

I seem to recall it being considerably important on win98, but never considered it since I've been using 2K this year.

No. Some new (and aproximately new) programs use Holfman table (sorry if I misspelled the name, don't remember for sure but it's working only on NT systems). Some have a choice what to use (one copy creating program). And you are probably using programs that have its own layers :)

Some time ago (don't know if now) the aspi layer from Nero was freely available from their site downlod if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't need registering with regestry and it supports a few more CD-ROM hardware (I needed it when I got a USB CD-RW - Adaptec driver doesn't see USB CD-Roms). And it's only one DLL that you only need to place in HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32, no other actions required ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

Yea, Adaptec layer should be sufficiant. But if you get USB CD-Writer please remembe me ;)

Frankly speaking I had one small command line tool for copy protected CD that only worked with Adaptec drivers and not even latest. I don't have this tool now but it was good. I took it somewhere on Daemon Tools page. Now I think there should be the way to have it running... Well, maybe some day ;) To many projects at the same time is not so good :rolleyes:

Okay, I think the ASPI issue merits another thread. It appears in FDV's instructions, but it is a minor install at best.

I can't get the SP update to work, despite numerous errors on my part and attempts. I still get the same types of excus...errors in w2k.

I need someone with w2k3 to help me out with a workaround. I bought the software from surpluscomputers.net for $120 because it was cheaper than XP, and I don't need fluff add-ins. But it is wearing thin. A friend dropped off a pirated copy of w2k today. I think I'll try that with FDV & TommyP's method. Fodus. (Portuguese for F--k)

Had dinner with a sexy French-Canadian woman tonight. I could use some good lines in French! :-)

rb