archiver

ripken204

i thought that this would be between 7zip and winrar, i currently use winrar and i pretty much love it, just wondering if anything was better. ive used 7zip a few times a while ago, i think ill give it another try.

7-Zip for me...but different archivers compress files differently in my opinion... most multimedia files get compressed more-so than lets say... batch files and text files less than 500k... so yeah...

TugZip is also a good archiver... it looks really good, runs fast, easy to use interface, and its free :)

overall WinRAR is by far the best as its just so much more useable. for high compression though id say 7z or UHAR.

Edit: Completely Forgot about TugZip. excellent freeware program capable of creating many different archive types.

Edited by ScubaSteve

I like the WinRAR UI better than the 7zip interface - it just seemed more intuitive to me. Both command-line versions are great. I prefer Winrar's command-line program because of it's ability to have versioning of the same file with in the same archive. There is also a free version for unpacking, called unrar.exe. I was trying to use 7za to create differential backups (it compared a previous archive file and created a new archive file that only included new/changed files) but it kept crashing on me, giving me an internal error and I could never find anything on the 'net about this. After that, I switched to WinRAR.

-John

PowerArchiver 2006, Version 9.5

http://www.powerarchiver.com/download/powarc950.exe

In my opinion THE BEST! archiver solution !!!

It may be intergrated, but it gives horrible compression ratios. I used their "7-zip" compression, and it came out larger than WinRAR. :no:

I like the WinRAR UI better than the 7zip interface - it just seemed more intuitive to me. Both command-line versions are great. I prefer Winrar's command-line program because of it's ability to have versioning of the same file with in the same archive. There is also a free version for unpacking, called unrar.exe. I was trying to use 7za to create differential backups (it compared a previous archive file and created a new archive file that only included new/changed files) but it kept crashing on me, giving me an internal error and I could never find anything on the 'net about this. After that, I switched to WinRAR.

-John

Agreed. For my day-to-day archiving I use WinRAR. For those archives or silent installers I use 7-zip to get the highest compression.

It may be intergrated, but it gives horrible compression ratios. I used their "7-zip" compression, and it came out larger than WinRAR. :no:

Did you check this 2006 version with "maximum compression" option? maybe it's compression ratios are not The Best around, but "horrible" come on! :blink::o

Did you check this 2006 version with "maximum compression" option? maybe it's compression ratios are not The Best around, but "horrible" come on! :blink::o

Yup... did that.

With 7-zip on an installer I got a compression ratio of 27.5%, while with PA2006 on maximum compression for 7-zip, I got 45%. :}