Beta HFSLIP

tommyp

@tommy...

No, now i'm only trying Cd install, clean Cd install and multiboot Cd install... actually it's the same..., just that the <CD Source Media Root> is moved from <DriveLetter:\> to <DriveLetter:\multiboot_path\> , the diference is actually the SetupSourcePath = '\' which is changed to SetupSourcePath = '\CUSTOM_PATH\'

Well, hope everything helps, cuase HFSLIP rocks :thumbup

By the way, tommy, you think that maybe someday in the future, you can consider integrating MDAC (more recent version)... that would be totally cool... cause in fact MDAC 2.5 SP3 it's allready on win2k sp4...; i resolved my previous problem by installing in my CMD custom application file and calling RunOnceEx proccess inmediatly so all registering scheduled by MDAC are performed right after the install, after all, the mdac files are not used in that stage of installation, so it not hurts to register everything there.., hotfix it's not installed even if it run successfull (checked the logs), maybe some WFP issue (not sure though).

I think that there's an error on Yzöwl's script, not completely sure, but in DOSNET.INF, under [Directories], d1 = \ refers to the <SourceDrive>:\I386 folder, the files are actually there, that's why in the [Files] section you only especify the filename, in Yzöwl's script he creates the DOSNET.INF like this

:XTRAS
set basedir=%~dp0HFEXPERT\
for /f "delims=" %%? in ('dir/b/s/on/ad HFEXPERT ^|findstr/i/e/v "appreplacement help codecs drivers system system32" ^2^>nul') do if errorlevel 0 dir/b/a-d %%? >nul 2>&1&&call :paths "%%~?"
if not exist WORK\XpertDir.txt endlocal&goto :eof
set sifdir=599
echo/[WinntDirectories]>WORK\TXTSETUP.DIR
echo/[SourceDisksFiles]>WORK\TXTSETUP.FIL
echo/[Files]>WORK\DOSNET.TMP
for /f "delims=" %%? in (WORK\XpertDir.txt) do (
set /a sifdir+=1
echo/!sifdir! = %%?>>WORK\TXTSETUP.DIR
dir/b/on/a-d HFEXPERT\%%?>WORK\HFEXPERT.TXT
for /f "delims=" %%? in (WORK\HFEXPERT.TXT) do (
echo/%%? = 1,,,,,,,!sifdir!,0,0 ;HFEXPERT>>WORK\TXTSETUP.FIL
echo/d1,%%? ;HFEXPERT>>SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF
)
)
copy WORK\TXTSETUP.DIR+WORK\TXTSETUP.FIL WORK\TXTSETUP.TMP>nul&&del /q WORK\TXTSETUP.DIR WORK\TXTSETUP.FIL
for /f "delims=" %%? in (WORK\TXTSETUP.TMP) do echo/%%?>>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF
del /q WORK\TXTSETUP.TMP WORK\XpertDir.txt WORK\HFEXPERT.TXT
goto :eof

:paths
set DirName=%~1
set PathName=!DirName:%basedir%=!
echo/%PathName%>>WORK\XpertDir.txt
xcopy "%DirName%" "WORK\I386E" /q/h/y>nul
goto :eof

Hope this helps for now, it should keep the I386 structure clean, but also have the benefit of not mixing many files directly in the %WINDIR% on the installed system.

Edited by Yzöwl

I took a look at the guts of the MDAC installer (the 2.8 one). It's loaded with lots of garbage that defeats the purpose of my lean machine (I rip MDAC out because I don't use it). However, it is possible to install it via svcpack and a cmdline. Perhaps I'll do a little mod to the script so it installs that way. Also, on the mutiboot cd, can you try installing it the old-fashioned way with one OS on the cd and see if it works. I don't want to chase my tail on this issue. Everything works fine on my side, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Last thing, to check for your updates, can you run the MS Baseline Analyzer? That tells tons more than a visit to the windersupdate site. :)

I don't know what you mean about that, in my (XP) dosnet.inf file the files are relative to the root of the CD \

[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

My folders as intended would be correctly identified in I386.

However as tommyp stated it appears that during the file copy process messages stating that the said files cannot be found are displayed. This suggests that dosnet.inf cannot identify the folders, (certainly not inside i386 after tests to date).

Yeah, you are right, in winxp d1 = \I386, I was using Win2K, and its dosnet.inf file has d1 = \ maybe that was the problem, didn't know that you was using xp for building your script.. :lol:

I took a look at the guts of the MDAC installer (the 2.8 one). It's loaded with lots of garbage that defeats the purpose of my lean machine (I rip MDAC out because I don't use it). However, it is possible to install it via svcpack and a cmdline. Perhaps I'll do a little mod to the script so it installs that way. Also, on the mutiboot cd, can you try installing it the old-fashioned way with one OS on the cd and see if it works. I don't want to chase my tail on this issue. Everything works fine on my side, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Last thing, to check for your updates, can you run the MS Baseline Analyzer? That tells tons more than a visit to the windersupdate site. :)

I tested that way, old fashioned way, just to be completily sure, the I386 folder on CD Root, and the same result... I think will try using ms baseline... I have never used but I think it will not be too much challenge :P

Another idea I was having, was to binary compare every UpdateRollup file againts the ones that are on the running system, to see which one differs and maybe if something is missing...

For MDAC... I used the same (2.8 alone, no SP1 or SP2), and install fine via cmdline... I resolved the Q832483 thing, by decompressing ENU_Q832483_MDAC_X86.exe file, and recabing using IExpress only the 4 files actually needed by my system.

ODBCBCP_280.DLL

SQLSRV32_280.DLL

Q832483_280_Win2k.inf

Q832483_280_Win2k.cat

telling IExpress to run the INF as the default command, everything worked fine... the file stayed there...

my cmd file like this

@ECHO OFF
Title Applications Install
FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\APPINST SET APPINST=%%i:\APPINST

echo Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1
rem start /wait %APPINST%\netfx\netfx.msi /qn /log C:\NetFx.log
start /wait %APPINST%\netfxsp1.exe
echo.

echo Installing Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 Runtimes
start /wait %APPINST%\VB6SP6.exe /Q:A /R:N
echo.

echo Installing MDAC 2.8
start /wait %APPINST%\MDAC_TYP.exe /C:"DASETUP.EXE /Q /N" /Q:A /R:N
start /wait rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess
start /wait %APPINST%\Q832483.exe /Q:A /R:N
rem register sqldmo.dll here cause until now it has all the .rll files in their proper location under System32\Resources
start /wait %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE /s %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\sqldmo.dll
echo.

echo Installing J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5
start /wait %APPINST%\j2re.msi /qn /norestart /log c:\J2RE.log
echo.

EXIT

Will post what i found...

Could somebody please check if the last version works with the files placed in HFEXPERT\DRIVERS and HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my files from this folders are not included in TXTSETUP.SIF and are not installed :(

But a file in HFEXPERT\HIVEINSTALL is included in TXTSETUP.SIF :wacko:

Edited by Oleg_II

@Oleg, Please read the new instruction set for the extra files and HFEXPERT. I sent you the advance copy of the instructions yesterday. The new method is more intuitive than previous HFSLIPs.

Oops... Only placing to WIN\System32\Drivers and WIN\System32 should help...

Ok, it's more intuitive but when you have used to old structure it's a bit unusual.

Sorry for this one...

Edited by Oleg_II

hi everybody. i am using version 51030 and i am having some issues with w2k. it seems that the driver file sp4.cab which is created by service pack 4 is being deleted by the slipstreaming process propably with the recompression of the driver.cab file. i don't know if this is as it should be but windows requests the file during install so something goes wrong. everything works fine when the file is restored to the final i386 by a back up kept right after the service pack 4 integration. another issue is with the internet explorer 6 slipstreaming which just doesn't seem to work. i have the correct cab files in the HFCABS folder and i can see the slipstreaming process as the script is running but my sliped msn messenger halts during its install at the t13 stage because it says it cannot continue without ie6. and true enough when windows boot ie is at version 5 sp4. i have tried this several times with w2k both english and greek and got the same issue nomatter what. maybe i am missing something? are there any ideas of what could possibly go wrong? any help greatly appreciated. thank you for a trully wonderfull script you gurus... :D

dpurple77 :hello:

During HFSLIPing DRIVER.CAB and SP4.CAB are merged together so it's totally normal you don't have SP4.CAB in the SOURCESS.

It would be helpfull for TommyP if you can attache your ERROR_REPORT.TXT because he can see what you really have in your HFSLIP folders and find out what's wrong.

About MSN - could you try installing without it first?

:hello:Oleg_II. I was just about to post my ERROR_REPORT.TXT but you beat me to asking it. It would be kind of hard for anyone to troubleshoot without it wouldn't it?i figured that sp4.cab and drivers.cab where merged but souldn't there be some other change in an inf or something so the oper sys doesn't ask for sp4.cab? My problem is not that sp4.cab is missing but that windows request it during install and it halts for it. I am fo course installing unattended because i am already in the 10th install and you know how things go... I just love installing windoze!! As for the MSN it just doesn't install because the requirements are not met. if have tried it without it also. the only difference is that the install just doesn't halt for it. IE is still 5 sp4. Thank you for your prompt answer.

ERROR_REPORT.TXT

Of course there is nothing wrong with the script!!!! I can't find the smiley that bangs its head on the wall. the problem was that i didn't make a standalone cdrom for testing but overwrote the source of my multiboot dvd with the output of HPSLIP. of course the boot forders where the old ones and generaly everything else was from the structure of my mulriboot dvd. That takes care of the missing sp4.cab. the txtsetup file my unettended used was not the one that was created by hfslip but the one from the boot folder. anyone that has done a multiboot dvd knows what i mean. i am very sorry for posting for something so dumb. i am just really really dizzy from all the time in front of the monitor. on the standalone cd everything worked flawlesly. but what did the wrong boot folder had to do with the version of IE i have no idea. Now everything is fine. i am just missing a security update from dot net sp1. thnx for the help Oleg_II and murvun.

For the people who cannot live life with a pop-up window during the installation of windows, create a folder alongside HFSLIP called HFEXPERT.

Just a quick note here. I've PM'd you but I thought I'd mention this here as well.

I've been testing this for a while, and the only place I could get HFEXPERT to work is when it's placed inside HFSLIP, not alongside it. I see nobody is mentioning this... Am I the only one?

Inside the HFEXPERT folder, create a folder called SYSTEM32. Inside that folder, place cmdow.exe.

The pop-up window doesn't stay into view anymore, but it still flickers briefly in the beginning. Is this expected behavior?

Edited by Tomcat76

the only place I could get HFEXPERT to work is when it's placed inside HFSLIP, not alongside it.
This is right.
The pop-up window doesn't stay into view anymore, but it still flickers briefly in the beginning. Is this expected behavior?

Mine does this too.