Beta HFSLIP

tommyp

The two versions are exactly the same EXCEPT one version makecab's the new binaries using the regular makecab function. The other version makecab's the new binaries with the makecab and the CompressionType=LZX and other switches. People continually tell me that the CompressionType=LZX type is supposed to make the file copy stage faster, but I can't confirm and don't have time to test it out. So, I'll let the community judge which is better and I'll use the better method in future HFSLIPs. As far as execution time of HFSLIP, one may be faster, but I can't confirm that either.

I don't plan on having an unpacked hotfix folder, it will add too many other files to maintain if re-running HFSLIP. Typically what I do when running hfslip is to fire it up and come back 15 minutes later. If you want a significant speed improvement, disable your virus software.

I have also tried out xxcopy. It's a great program. However, from what I remember, if you save the executable somewhere else, reload your system, and then launch the executable again, it complains that you ran out of time using the program. I don't want to deal with that. It's hard enough to get people to read the directions :angry: This is why I went with what utilities are already available on someone's PC.

@dziubek - Thanks for your help with the non-English versions. I appreciate your time and feedback!

@ALL - I uploaded the last of the betas... It has the HFEXPERT\DRIVER folder addition, as well as selectable driver.cab packing. Thanks to Oleg for finding me the right info for this!!! Txtmode copy for XP went from 8 minutes to 3 using option B for packing. Your mileage may vary. Pleae post any last minute items before I send this to FDV for hosting.

Thanks

TP

Edited by tommyp

HFTOOLS: This is the new placeholder for HFSLIP related tools.

1) MSI Extractor tool

2) modifype.exe

3) cdimage.exe and boot.img (OPTIONAL! Put these files here if you want HFSLIP to generate an ISO image for you.)

4) For those running an old version of HFSLIP, there is no need to rename your MSIEXT folder. HFSLIP renames it for you.

5) Future iterations of HFSLIP will use HFTOOLS for any additions/tools needed by HFSLIP.

@TommyP, I'm presuming that step 4 above means:

1) put MSICabExtract.exe into C:\HFSLIP\HFEXPERT\HFTOOLS and

2) delete the folder C:\HFSLIP\MSIEXT

Also, the cmdow.exe file you refer to in your original post, you're referring to this right?

http://www.commandline.co.uk/cmdow/

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, tried downloading HFSLIP last night from FDV's website and it was older version. Let us know if you've included Yzowl's ASPI update to HFSLIP in the latest version also.

Every time I think HFSLIP can't get better, it does! :thumbup

Edited by saugatak

@saugatak - The beta hfslip automatically renames your MSIEXC folder to HFTOOLS. It's up to you to fill it up. Depending on what you want to slipstream, HFSLIP will prompt you that you need a tool. Yes, the cmdow link you talk about is correct. Place the exe file into your HFEXPERT\SYSTEM32 folder (you need to create the HFEXPERT folder). The hfslip file talked about in this thread is on the first post of this thread. The file posted has Yzowl's ASPI update too (along with some other things).

@dziubek - Thanks for your help with the non-English versions. I appreciate your time and feedback!

@ALL - I uploaded the last of the betas... It has the HFEXPERT\DRIVER folder addition, as well as selectable driver.cab packing. Thanks to Oleg for finding me the right info for this!!! Txtmode copy for XP went from 8 minutes to 3 using option B for packing. Your mileage may vary. Pleae post any last minute items before I send this to FDV for hosting.

Thanks

TP

@TommyP

1) Once I choose driver compression:A then during the installation I get an error message - blue screen:""

ERROR THe installer cannot access the CD drive containing the XP's installable files

I may choose:

enter - restart and then I get no NTLDR file

F3 - end

2) if I choose driver compression B --->> I get no errors during the installation

I haven't changed anything in the way of installation for 50 tries. :rolleyes:

p.s i used HFSLIP_51026.cmd

dziubek

ERROR_REPORT.zip

@tommyp

Hi,

In your UPDATE LOG inside the HFSLIP you mention

REM OCT 17, 2005 - CHANGED SVCPACK.INF FROM \I386\SVCPACK TO I386\SVCPACK TO MAKE IT MULTIBOOT COMPAT.
for this to fully work you also need to modify the FOR statement in the creations of the HFSLIP.CMD file in the :UPDATE_INIT section

in this sentence

ECHO FOR %%%%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%%%i:\I386\SVCPACK SET HFSLIP=%%%%i:\I386>>SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\HFSLIP.CMD

a custom path must be declared to allow a multiboot image to work, by example

ECHO FOR %%%%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%%%i:\custompath\I386\SVCPACK SET HFSLIP=%%%%i:\custompath\I386>>SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK\HFSLIP.CMD

...this custom path could be an enviroment variable, so if someone wants to create 2 or 3 CD images, just especify this path in each HFSLIP_XXXX.CMD run and every image could be created with the correct path inside the CMD file.

Will try this new version... excelent work :thumbup

Also, I'm trying to integrate components inside the sourcess for applications developed on VBasic 6.0, SQL Server 2000 and Crystal Reports, so the HFEXPERT folder has been my saviour, i could register OCX components for VB, Crystal.. but SQL Server's SQL-DMO requiries (at least in the documentation) that 2 Resources files are located inside [WinDir]\System32\Resources\XXXX (where XXXX is the country languaje code 1033 for English U.S.), so custom folders have to be created when installing the files from the CD...

I made a little script which read the DIRECTORIES inside of the HFEXPERT folder and add them in the [WinntDirectories] but have one problem, don't know how to increment or decrement the Folder number in the statement in Bold

@ECHO OFF

DIR HFEXPERT\* /AD /OGN /B /ON >TEST.TXT

FINDSTR /V /I "APPREPLACEMENT CODECS DRIVERS SYSTEM SYSTEM32" TEST.TXT >TEST1.TXT

FOR /F %%I IN (TEST1.TXT) DO (

ECHO [WinntDirectories]>>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

ECHO 997 = %%I >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

DIR HFEXPERT\%%I /A-D /OGN /B /ON >WORK\HFEXPERT.TXT

XCOPY HFEXPERT\%%I\*.* WORK\I386E /H /Y

REM COPY THE FILES

FOR /F %%I IN (WORK\HFEXPERT.TXT) DO (

REM DO THE TXTSETUP.SIF

ECHO %%I = 1,,,,,,,997,0,0 ;HFEXPERT >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM DO THE DOSNET.INF

ECHO d1,%%I ;HFEXPERT >>SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF

)

)

DEL TEST.TXT

DEL TEST1.TXT

I know that this is very specific for my case, but maybe other people would need to create custom folder inside WinDir to similar purposes, and your tool is in the right way for doing this, there are aplication that requiries specific path to be created from some point inside WinDir...

...ahh... could be possible that you add legacy support in your TOOL in HFEXPERT section to include windows Help Folder ([WinntDirectories] #21) :whistle:

And, as usual some "off the topic" question :)

Have anybody succefull installed MDAC in Win2k calling it from inside SVCPACK.INF after slipstreaming the sourcess with HFSLIP, i'm trying with 2.8 SP1 version, tried with the original package, repacked with IExpress to be silent, and it doesn't install... no error, will try later to run it with parametter to see interface and watch any error that may occur...

Edited by pnkiller78

@pain, thanks for the great feedback. I'll see what I can do to incorporate your ideas. I know it's all possible, even with the incrementing/decrementing. I just have to think things out to make the hfexpert folder a little easier to use and create. However, I will keep HFSLIP from automatically generating HFEXPERT. I want this to be a hidden gem. And before you ask, there are other hidden gems in there already that remain undocumented. ;)

@tommy

Hi..

I made an small modification on the little script, but for some reason the Directory number increase is not working, I started a new CMD prompt with /V:ON /E:ON paraments and nothing, even enable DelayedExpansion on the registry on LOCAL_MACHINE and still doesn't work..., take a look, maybe you could see if it and error on my script or and error on my computer :)

@ECHO OFF

CLS

SET DIRNUMBER=600

FINDSTR /V /I "APPREPLACEMENT CODECS DRIVERS SYSTEM SYSTEM32" TEST.TXT >TEST1.TXT

ECHO %DIRNUMBER%

ECHO %DIRNUMBER% = %%I >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM COPY THE FILES

REM DO THE TXTSETUP.SIF

ECHO %%I = 1,,,,,,,%DIRNUMBER%,0,0 ;HFEXPERT >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM DO THE DOSNET.INF

)

ECHO.>>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

SET /A DIRNUMBER=!DIRNUMBER! + 1

)

DEL TEST.TXT

DEL TEST1.TXT

rem see the result...

TYPE SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

DEL /F /Q SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

DEL /F /Q SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF

Also... I tested the new version of your TOOL with Win2K Pro, and when I go trough WU it tells me that the UpdateRollup is not installed when in fact it is... in your previous version (HFSLIP_51017) WU was happy about it, didn't display any errors..., I read in the http://www.vorck.com site about some problem with this file halmacpi.dll, actually you delete the file when you extract it in your script in the :HFRU section... in both script versions, but the HFSLIP_51017 version works OK, new version not... :(

I attached my reports...

wu_errors.zip

Edited by pnkiller78

:thumbup Wow, wow

I figured out the problem with the incrementing thing in the directories... you have to enable DelayedExpansion for the command prompt to work, by default is disabled on Win2K, the script would look like this, pay attention on the bold enviroment, you no longer use "%", you use "!"

@ECHO OFF

CLS

SET DIRNUMBER=600

ECHO !DIRNUMBER! = %%I >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM COPY THE FILES

ECHO [sourceFiles] >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM DO THE TXTSETUP.SIF

ECHO %%I = 1,,,,,,,!DIRNUMBER!,0,0 ;HFEXPERT >>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

REM DO THE DOSNET.INF

)

ECHO.>>SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

SET /A DIRNUMBER=!DIRNUMBER! + 1

)

DEL TEST.TXT

DEL TEST1.TXT

rem see the result...

cls

TYPE SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

DEL /F /Q SOURCESS\I386\TXTSETUP.SIF

DEL /F /Q SOURCESS\I386\DOSNET.INF

... that would take care of the directory thing in HFEXPERT folder... you could put any directory you want inside WinDir, one challenge would be how make directory recursion...

by example how to create this properly on "WinDirectories"

HFEXPERT

|___DIR1

|____DIR1_CHILD

|____DIR2_CHILD

|___WIN

|___SYSTEM

|___SYSTEM32

...this must have to be traduced on this on TXTSETUP.SIF [WinDirectories] entry

[WinntDirectories]601 = DIR1/DIR1_CHILD

[sourceFiles]

[WinntDirectories]

602 = DIR1/DIR2_CHILD

[sourceFiles]

...of course, this would have to include DIR1 only if it have file inside it

i don't have any idea about it... :}

Use the latest version, HFSLIP_51027.cmd.

I used HFSLIP_51027.cmd and I chose driver compression:A--->> I get no errors during the installation on VM

BUT I get an error during real installation to hard drive - blue screen:

"STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error"

"\system root\\System32\Ntdll.dll "

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314474

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=101096&sd=RMVP

P.S When I install alone WindowsXP-KB885836-x86-PLK my wu.txt looks that:WU2.txt

dziubek

ERROR_REPORT.zip

You need to increment the DIRNUMBER. Put this after your FOR line:

SET /A DIRNUMBER=!DIRNUMBER! + 1. If the !'s don't do the trick, try %'s.

Tell you what, I really don't want to craft this piece of the puzzle, but if you would like additional files/folder copied over, please generate a "plug-in" for hfslip and I'll incorporate it.

As far as the W2K rollup goes. See if this does the trick. Rename the SYSTEM32\Windows Media\Server\NSCM.EXE to NSM.EXE. I thought I found that as a typo the other day and I corrected it, see if that file rename does the trick. Report back. I don't use WU, so I'll need your help with that.