Beta HFSLIP

tommyp

Here's the latest.

Slipstreaming: This version slipstreams and applies update INFs a bit differently than the past. It should help out the network installation people a bit more. It also corrects some XP related hotfix issues that came up.

Driver repacking: I took some advice from Oleg & FDV about driver repacking. This version repacks drivers and leaves no remnant SP#.cab folders in the slipstreamed source.

MORE driver repacking. Oleg sent me some great reading material. File copying during text mode should be faster now.

File repacking: Files are makecab'd a bit differently now. I'm not sure if it saves time making the cabs or saves time copying files during installation.

Final installation: HFSLIP only leaves one residual file on your drive after installing the slipstreamed source.

For the people who cannot live life with a pop-up window during the installation of windows, create a folder alongside HFSLIP called HFEXPERT. Inside the HFEXPERT folder, create a folder called SYSTEM32. Inside that folder, place cmdow.exe.

Additions:

HFTOOLS: This is the new placeholder for HFSLIP related tools.

1) MSI Extractor tool

2) modifype.exe

3) cdimage.exe and boot.img (OPTIONAL! Put these files here if you want HFSLIP to generate an ISO image for you.)

4) For those running an old version of HFSLIP, there is no need to rename your MSIEXT folder. HFSLIP renames it for you.

5) Future iterations of HFSLIP will use HFTOOLS for any additions/tools needed by HFSLIP.

Users should also keep in mind that other items can be slipstreamed/replaced during the HFSLIP process using the HFEXPERT folder. Other items include slipstreamed codecs, alternate applications, additional system32 files, additional system files and additional %windir% files.

Any tips/corrections/comments appreciated.

Thanks for testing guys... beta is out, see first post.

Edited by tommyp

You look at the file size...and then have to reread what it does, then you look at the file size again, and just shake your head and say Daaaaamn. :thumbup

Hopefully can give it a run thru soon, after I finish reorganizing these damned Harddrives (maybe finish is too strong of a word, halfazzedly organized might be more doable).

OK, I wont be able to fully test this until the morning since I am doing this remotely at the moment. I have run your process, now all that's left is to install XP.

couple of questions...

1. You talk about letting HFSLIP create ISO automatically. I put the CDIMAGE files in HFTOOLS, but never saw an ISO created. Is that not implemented yet?

2. When using HFEXPERT to add things to "System32", can you add directories, or just files? (I added a directory, but don't see it anywhere in the resulting source)

This will be great if this does work for my "network" based install. Still attempting to get CD based working correctly. B)

Hello tommyp,

I replaced my hotfix-integrator stuff with HFSLIP, worked ok. Now replaced it with this beta, and I have some comments to add:

First I will provide my background on fixes and building steps.

1) Fixes I'm trying to slipstream (placed in HF):

Windows-KB890830-V1.9-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB873339-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB885250-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB885835-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB885836-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB886185-x86-esn.exe
WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB888113-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB888302-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB890859-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB891781-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB893756-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB896358-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB896422-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB896423-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB896428-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB896688-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB899587-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB899589-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB899591-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB900725-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB901017-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB901214-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB902400-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB904706-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB905414-x86-ESN.exe
WindowsXP-KB905749-x86-ESN.exe

ESN is code language of Spanish. I'm doing a modular builder, so I split fixes for ENU and ESN.

Language Neutral Fixes (for all the languages):

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe
WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe
LegitCheckControl.cab

First I start from a XPSP1 CD, slipstream SP2 and then copy fixes and move I386 to SOURCES for HFSLIP processing.

Later, to the processed I386, I automatically perform HDAudio (KB888111) integration (later could post how I solved this, no insert disk dialog & sound still work after reboots).

Added automatically custom drivers (pyron's method) and then created the ISO.

2) After installation, go to Windows Update and showed only two critical updates:

KB887472 & KB890046

Even that both are included in the HF directory.

besides that, everything worked good. Later will try to include specific updates related to Firewire IEEE 1394b and MPEG2 in Adobe Premiere Pro, which are common on my env.

A suggestion for the Add/Remove programs in control panel:

Your HFSLIP item shows a "Change/Remove" button, the code in hfslip_51024.cmd starting at line 1990.

Adding the following lines will remove it, like the integrated hotfixes from the traditional method (not yours).

"NoModify"=dword:00000001
"NoRepair"=dword:00000001
"NoRemove"=dword:00000001

Don't know how to express dword values in the INF, but adding this remove the totally useless button in this item.

So far, this beta perform better than before and smaller, ~20MB of total (566MB total compared with previous version, 587MB) and ~120MB smaller than traditional hotfix integration (/integrate).

Thank you for this wonderful script/tool!!!

Later,

Zero

@ NtegrA

HFEXPERT Folder, will only (by default)

Use/Add the following directories (if placed into HFEXPERT):

* Slipstream files to a %Windir%\GRE and %Windir%\BIN folders

Additionally it will slip the following files in HFEXPERT\*.*

\CODECS\*

\SYSTEM32\*

\SYSTEM\*

\WIN\*

\APPREPLACEMENT\*

You will need to modify the script to make it add other directories, shouldn't be too hard...

Edited by Crash&Burn

@NtegrA - If you want the ISO created, you need both cdimage.exe and the boot.img files. It won't work with one of them missing. I had a typo in the first thread, it should have been boot.img and not boot.bin.

@zerospeed - You said you are missing KB887472. In your HF listing, you have WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-ESN.exe listed but not 887472. Thanks for reporting KB890046. I'll update the script later today. Also about the add/remove software in the control panel. That was done intentionally.

@Crash&Burn - HFSLIP intentionally does not create the HFEXPERT folder. It was made to discover by those who visit FDV's site. The HFEXPERT folders listed are the only ones supported by HFSLIP. In fact, there will be some other *surprises* for those who read the instructions in a few weeks. The other surprises will require some reading by the user. :whistle:

Please keep the results coming...

Edited by tommyp

Well so long as its not a Microsoft suprise, like, use UR1.v1 and you now have no harddrives ;)

@ Oleg II, I usually Nlite the source and remove every single driver ;) I have MFG Drivers for any of my hardware that needs one, with periodic checks to see if any have been updated. While PnP in theory is good when an OS is first released...not so much afterwards, 5 years later and MS doesn't re-release an updated drivers.cab, if you run solely on PnP you're using drivers that are 5 years old, and possibly buggy & provided by microsoft.

Edited by Crash&Burn

@Crash&Burn - Thanks, I decided to create the folder later during the install.

@NtegrA - If you want the ISO created, you need both cdimage.exe and the boot.img files. It won't work with one of them missing. I had a typo in the first thread, it should have been boot.img and not boot.bin.

I actually have both files in there. I did not copy the .ini that I was using. (just checked again, I have cdimagegui.exe in there [OOOPS]

Now when I do my install, File copy process is crying about problems with: sp2.cab, legitcheckcontrol.dll,gwfspidgen.dll.

After first reboot, copy problems with: spmsg.dll, spupdsvc.exe, wga1.dll, wga2.dll

Copy process slowed WAY down as well around 54% or so. Still copying files at 64%. Have to go to a meeting before finishing, but wanted to let you know what was going on. I will attach the error and wu once install is complete.

Thanks

btw, you can ignore the HFEXPERT part (unless that is causing issues). I am trying again now that I have the cdimage.exe and deleted the HFEXPERT. (just in case)

errorrpt_wu.zip

Edited by NtegrA

While PnP in theory is good when an OS is first released...not so much afterwards, 5 years later and MS doesn't re-release an updated drivers.cab, if you run solely on PnP you're using drivers that are 5 years old, and possibly buggy & provided by microsoft.

While using old drivers on new hardware is not always the best way to do things, or the fastest, stability is hardly the issue. Any hardware that has drivers on the XP CD that requires an update for stability reasons will have one available via Windows Update. As for using the drivers on a 4 year old computer with a 4 year old OS, it's not like bugs suddenly *appear*...

Now, if you have updated drivers available, trying them out isn't always a bad idea. I usually only recommend clients that a driver upgrade is necessary when they run across a specific, repeatable issue that is fixed by the driver upgrade.

Results:

I made the CD and performed the install. I must admit, I was surprised (pleasantly) not to see any errors during the copy process (or anywhere for that matter). I guess doing the install from network can't handle the LFNs such as LegitCheckControl.....

I went to Windows Update, it did it's validation check (without downloading any files), then showed me 1 update needed to be installed (KB887472). NOT BAD! I attached my files below. Is the wu.txt normal or should it be blank?

I am going to try WIN PE and see if that gets around dos's shortcomings.

Excellent work.

error_wu.zip

@NtegrA - About the LegitCheckControl files. You are the first to report errors on this. You need to download the proper legitcheckcontrol.cab file. Please refer to FDV's site for a download link. Please place the correct legitcheckcontrol.cab file in HFCABS and report back. Also, just as the hfslip.zip file contents say, HFSLIP is designed for people who install using a CD. Using it not the way it was designed for will cause some problems. Lastly, be sure that you have WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-enu.exe in your HF folder and not WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-SP1-ENU.exe. You only need the SP1 version if you are running XPSP1.

I did some homework and cleaned up a few things.

a. There shouldn't be any CAT files in the sourcess\i386.

b. Fixed the SP# cabs missing during file copy stage.

c. Fixed another XP related hotfix (a non-English issue).

d. Addressed NtegrA's concern for file copying.

e. Please don't say that HFSLIP didn't cab everything in your sourcess\i386 folder. The files that are un-cabbed in the source remain un-cabbed in the sourcess. For example, with XP, there is exactly 111 DLL files in my source\i386. My sourcess\i386 folder also has 111 DLL files.

f. Also, please no comments about small txt files in the sourcess. Using the same case as above, there are 5 txt files in my source\i386 and 5 txt files in my sourcess\i386. I tried deleting them many versions ago with HFSLIP and people complained about copy errors. I'm not going that route again.

g. It is not HFSLIP's intent to strip files away.

h. LegitCheckControl may appear to not be slipstreamed if you don't apply the registry "correction" during installation or after installation. YOU need to apply the reg tweak to make it happen, I don't do it for you (yet).

I NEED YOUR HELP if you want me to slipstream and fix things correctly. I don't have time to test all the variations of installations.

There are two versions of HFSLIP. Each version packs binaries differently, but the slipstreaming process is exactly the same. I need to know if "Version A" copies faster or if "Version B" copies faster. This will settle something people have nagged me about for a while. I'll let you guys decide which is better and I'll go with the version that copies faster.

Ah! That was my careless again! Don't even want to talk about it (I deleted SP4 mark in the root of sourcess folder :blushing:

Works great!

Sorry, I missed something? There are two versions? This one seems fast but I should compare ;)

Edited by Oleg_II

@TommyP

Can you explain a little bit further on how this beta HFSLIP is supposed to be faster?

Also, here's a suggestion: unpacking Windows Update Rollup on Win2k takes forever. How about if HFSLIP processed an already unpacked Update Rollup 1 v2?