Open Sourcing Windows 9x

patchworks

mimicing windows 9x is the most useless idea i ever found to be in existance.

here is why...

winDOS is a single treaded kernel that is verry outdated....

is ui isn't more usefull than any other guy..

its aplications are outdates by opensource linux aps...

to keep it really simple... if your thinkin of even using windows 9x - try linux first.

for an example try something slacky, with openbox or fluxbox or if your hardware supports it even xfce ... if you want to play your old dos games there is dosbox if you want to play win95 kind of game first search google name-of-yourgame + linux or install wine ....

all other apps have long been developed for linux native and support newer features - even on your old p1 p2 p3

mimicing windows 9x is the most useless idea i ever found to be in existance.

Oh boy, here we go again. Can't you closed-minded people leave us alone?

if your thinkin of even using windows 9x - try linux first.

I tried Linux. I like Puppy Linux, to an extent, but Linux just isn't as accessible as Win9x. Not to mention other problems that just don't exist in Win9x.

if you want to play your old dos games there is dosbox

It's much slower than the real thing, and not as compatible.

if you want to play win95 kind of game first search google name-of-yourgame + linux or install wine

Again, much slower and less compatible than the real thing.

• 2 months later...

Can you also find a list of hardware manufacturers that still provide Win9x drivers for their products?

Don't bother with Lexmark and Hewlett-Packard - I've been there searching for Win98SE drivers for X1100 all-in-one series and Deskjet D1460 printer, respectively, and all I got was "there are drivers only for these operating systems; don't search for any others: Win2000/XP/Vista, MacOS, Linux".

X1100 driver CD does have Win9x drivers included, however D1460's only has XP/Vista drivers.

I have a very, very bad feeling about this. :realmad:

Can you also find a list of hardware manufacturers that still provide Win9x drivers for their products?

That's the reason why open source (expecially for drivers) is better: you can always "do it yourself"...

Win98SE drivers for X1100 all-in-one series and Deskjet D1460 printer

Quite OT, but according to this website "Lexmark Printer X1150/X1140 Driver 2.0.2.2 Win98/ME.--Lexmark X1100 Series All-In-One Driver for Microsoft Windows 98 and ME. This download only includes the printer and scanner software. Contact Lexmark for support information on this file at Technical Support Center."

Dunno about HP Deskjet D1460...

I have been involved in beta testing Parallels and VMware Virtual Computer software on my Mac. Both are now retail products. Both support DOS various flavors, Win 3.x, Win 9.x, Win2k, Win XP, Vista and a wide verity of Linux distros. Win98 runs great on my Core 2 Quad WinVesta box. It also runs great on my Mac core duo and core2 duo boxes. Win98 will also run just great in my future core 128 Gig box if I live long enough for it to be invented.

VMware, Sun, Novel, MS and others either already have or will soon have small VM hosts that, are already being built into some server MBs that allow the Virtual OS to directly. A very large number of current servers are running various versions of NT, Win2k, Win2003, Linux and other server Operating Systems at the same time on the same box. The future is in Virtualized Operating Systems. Win 9.x can live in that environment forever.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE (from the "official 3ad" @ WPC):

Here's a list of useful links that may help:

;)

>> Suggestions welcomed ! <<

• 2 months later...
Yeah, a lot of NT fanboys on that message board. Still, it was an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

Well, they are developing an OS based on NT and, unfortunately, they have a point. It took ReactOS a great amount of time to get where it is now, and they still alpha. By the time an OpenSource Win9x clone managed to do anything useful without any binaries from Microsoft, finding 9x drivers for anything would be a nightmare as horrible as it is to find WfW 3.11 drivers nowadays. Not only that, Win32 would probably be obsolete by then and most newer Windows software would have 64-bit versions only, and there is no miracle that would make them run, AFAIK.