Open Sourcing Windows 9x

patchworks

Use Proxomitron. It can make other websites think you're running whatever OS or browser you want.
Thanks, but that would be cheating.
I get what you're saying but do we have other solutions?

Sure, open sourcing Win98 but at least until now, nobody has declared being volunteer.

Would you bet on it ?

Even antiwpa/wga "lived" without problems since last week... welcome.gif

If you "live in the fog" you must hope the sun never shine.

Personally i don't like this approach; I don't think that any MS employee works for free, so: why these guys do not deserve a wage ? MS would say: "We never asked them to do this ! On contrary, they're violating our copyrights !"

Ok, sure but what's the risk as long as you don't jeopardize M$. AntiWPA is directly affecting their policy. We're just trying to keep our Win98 working as we like it in our (quite small) community. We're not targetting basic M$ customer going to buy Vista.

For me the priority would be:

- to get KUP moving

- correct the last Win98 problems (more than 512mb problems on many mobos...)

- make Win98 drivers for new chipsets / PCI-e cards

IMHO open source is interesting only if it helps doing this.

Obviously, most fields of activity will require the newest software versions - you may run Win98SE 10-20 years from now (assuming you'll still have compatible hardware for it), but when you won't be able to open documents created with Office 2007+, watch media created with WMP 11+, burn CD/DVDs with Nero 7.5+ or browse websites optimized for IE7+, you'll face the choice of giving up computers forever or find a suitable alternative.

This isn't a M$-only world. It never was, and by the looks of things today, it will never be.

Office 2007+ documents? Many are switching to the OpenDocument format.

Media created for WMP 11+? Codecs are available, the only difference is DRM. Just boycott it.

Burn CD/DVDs with Nero 7.5+? Why should we do that when the older versions can still burn the same discs? This doesn't make sense.

Websites optimised for IE7+? Open source browsers are gaining popularity, and web sites that optimise for only one browser should be boycotted.

[This isn't a M$-only world. It never was, and by the looks of things today, it will never be.

Office 2007+ documents? Many are switching to the OpenDocument format.

Media created for WMP 11+? Codecs are available, the only difference is DRM. Just boycott it.

Burn CD/DVDs with Nero 7.5+? Why should we do that when the older versions can still burn the same discs? This doesn't make sense.

Websites optimised for IE7+? Open source browsers are gaining popularity, and web sites that optimise for only one browser should be boycotted.

I agree all the packages you list are just bloated up

i use Nero551056 wmp9/98mp10/office 2000

i like old stuff

like you all the old stuff do the same exact thing without excess bloat they get the job done

i just want all my products to be lite'n up cuz even the older versions have a lil bloat here and there

i use Nero551056 wmp9/98mp10/office 2000

Of course, you live in Chicago... :blink:

i like old stuff

I live in Italy and i like free (as beer) stuff but legal (many peoples here simply don't care about copyrights: we're one of the most piracy-slaves western country). :whistle:

Open source is the best compromise between my, your and others (for example ones that looking for FREE as in speech or frequently updated software), i think. :angel

Nero ? -> Infra Recorder

wmp9 ? -> MPC

98mp10? -> VideoLAN

office2000 ? -> OpenOffice

B)

Edited by patchworks

Of course, you live in Chicago... :blink:
irrelevant, pretty much like your hope for open source
I live in Italy and i like free (as beer) stuff but legal (many peoples here simply don't care about copyrights: we're one of the most piracy-slaves western country). :whistle:

you don't see nothing but free downloads thats already distributed by M$

that became unofficial, M$ is not crying why r u?

Open source is the best compromise between my, your and others (for example ones that looking for FREE as in speech or frequently updated software), i think. :angel
thats a personal opinion

And i rather not used the apps you listed because the ones i listed do just fine.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Office 2007+ documents?
Even by 2057 we will still use to goo' ol' .doc format.

Mark my Word!

Media created for WMP 11+?

If they want to go the way Real player went or get the same anti-trust lawsuits Apple had with its iPod-only format... why not? That will be only the 783th media format created. Why do you think it will be popular or even used?

Burn CD/DVDs with Nero 7.5+?
While CD/DVD are not a problem, Blue-Ray Dics or other future multi Giga dics may be a problem.

Yet, that remains to be verified.

Websites optimised for IE7+?

As someone else said "the internet is OS agnostic".

As long as your browser respect the www protocol, the webdesigner is guilty if the website doesn't display properly.

Edited by Fredledingue

Since we're talking ( :} ) someone is working...

Highlight of work since ReactOS 0.3

* New NDK (Native Development Kit) with versioned headers, by Alex Ionescu

* Win32k compatibility project by jimtabor, which is an effort to implement a more compatible GDI interface.

* ddraw.dll, a compatible interface for DirectX acceleration, has been being worked on by Magnus Olsen.

* Kernel loading with NT bootloader has been worked on.

* Freeloader loading windows work has been done.

* Windows 2003 thread scheduler by Alex Ionescu.

* Partial HAL (Hardware Application Layer) rewrite.

* Clipboard implementation (Summer of Code), still unmerged to trunk.

* Wingina logon by hpousin, which is the beginning of User Profiles for ReactOS.

* NT4 open source USB driver, imported by Aleksey Bragin

* bootvid.sys rewrite by Filip Navara.

* ReactOS builds with GCC 4.1.2

* Many different Wine synchs.

* A device manager has been implemented by Ged Murphy.

* Usermode Native and Win32 debugging functionality

:rolleyes:

Office 2007+ documents?

Even by 2057 we will still use to goo' ol' .doc format.

Mark my Word!

:lol::lol::lol:

That ReactOS project looks promising... I tried an earlier version of it some time ago and it wasn't very stable but maybe in the future...

i agree the version i tried of reactos was a bit unstable but it was fast and small which was good

back to the idea of open sourcing 9x you could just decompile some of the major parts of the os like

kernel32.dll

ntdll.dll

shell32.dll

gdi32.dll

user32.dll

advapi32.dll

where many missing apis for programs are needed

i agree the version i tried of reactos was a bit unstable but it was fast and small which was good

back to the idea of open sourcing 9x you could just decompile some of the major parts of the os like

kernel32.dll

ntdll.dll

shell32.dll

gdi32.dll

user32.dll

advapi32.dll

where many missing apis for programs are needed

That's approximately 800 kilobytes of binary, or approximately 600 thousand lines of code.

Only disassemble enough to fix something, no more than that since it would get tedious.

That's approximately 800 kilobytes of binary, or approximately 600 thousand lines of code.

Only disassemble enough to fix something, no more than that since it would get tedious.

So, you're saying, in other words: "Don't open-source it!"?

So, you're saying, in other words: "Don't open-source it!"?

Basically just fix the problems as they come. This isn't some little DOS 3.2 kernel.