How do I block the unwanted installation

PryGuy

Hello everybody!

I've got a problem here, I'm an administrator and I have a really dumb user that ruins Windows XP installation for the third time installing many old or third party programs. Well, he actually doesn't render it to the completely unusable state, but his crap kills the file associations etc. So it's easier to reinstall the system completely after his experiments. I'm tired to fight with him actually.

I've tried making a limited user account for him, but, well, those who tried it know that one can't seriously use it in the everyday life (heared that M$ will improve it in Vista). I wish it would be as easy as in Linux. :( So, is there any program that would block the installers or would ask to enter password everytime one wants to install anything on his PC but would allow to continue running the system under the Administrator account 'cause many applications refuse to work under the limited account?

Please help, this situation really drives me crazy! :realmad:

Thanks in advance!

Best way I can think of is to install DeepFreeze or a similar product. It creates an image of the current file system, and no matter what you install, at next reboot it brings it back to the original state. However, you'd waste money since it's only for one user. The other way to do it is create new policies under the Local Security Settings program under admin tools. I don't know specifically how to do that since I've never had to but you should be able to look up its capabilities with M$

Thanks! Well, I have not said that he's got his own PC, so we don't share the same machine with multiple user accounts. So I can do anything on his PC if it helps. :)

DeepFreeze, as I learnt following this link, is not only software itself but a hardware/software complex. I don't think it's suitable for me. :(

Edited by PryGuy

I have written an AutoIt script that terminates all the "setup.exe" and "install.exe" processes, yet it watches for the windows that have "setup" or "install" in their titles and terminates them also. I know it's not perfect, but it's a working solution so far... :)