Forgot Password Logon

raromana

yes I did and totally regret that coz now it wont even boot as it keeps asking to reinstall a hal.dll or something. I have a compaq 6230 with a F10 system restore that doesnt work.My pc came without recovery disks and didnt think I needed them till now.

If he reinstalls, the password proctected previous install, will encrypt itself, and he wont be able to get the files. As far as i know, thers no way out of this, i think you should reinstall windows on another disk, set the current to slave and pick off the files that you need, then start for frsh, and remember your password this time...

:)

=Drew

getting files out of an old install would not be a problem.

you need to force hal.dll at the time of install.

check out about this procedure in this M$ article.

btw i like crispy's idea lot, that would be the best thing to do but if you have a seperate HD then you should go for Drew's idea. you have lots of choices. try anything you like!

id do something like crispys idea because i had a similar problem once when my pc wouldnt boot because it couldnt load NTDLR so i had to reinstall windows. Thing is i did it on the same partition under a seperate directory (C:\windows2, is what i did) i then just copied and pasted the imporatant files from the primary installation to my slave drive and a CD-RW

Once i had backed up the files i got rid of both the installations by doing a format on my C: drive.

Good luck in whatever way you try to overcome your problem :)

• 2 weeks later...