sony atrac3 cds

fif4evr

i bought a sony atrac3 mp3 cd player and with their wonderful atrac3 format burned my entire cd library onto cds, glad for the space saving format. now when i try to play the .atp files on my computer it won't work, and the only way i can listen to my cds is on my cd player. does anyone know of a converter to gain playability on my comp?

From what I just found this program should work. HIMrenderer

This program is supposed to convert .oma to other formats.

It would be a good idea to post the file extension of your music. People can help you out easier: .mp3 .oma .wav etc... or whatever they may be.

The files have the .mp3 extension, its just a proprietary encoding format, like MP3 Pro. And really Atrac3 is only of any use if you normally encode @ ~128kbps, it can rip at 64kbps and give similiar "sound" results. And if you're going to bother ripping music you might as well do so at a decent bitrate 192kbps+ or use Lame's variable bitrate.

At least "AAC" uses the .mp4 extension.

Basically to listen to that CD on a PC, the PC or the PC-CDplayer would need a "mod chip" ;)

As on the Sony CDmp3 Walkman the decoding is done in hardware.

Bite the bullet, and re-rip your collection. And next time RTFM...it clearly states it will not play on any other non-Sony player.

Edited by Crash&Burn

I don't know anything about this player but I think it's worth a shot to try and save the tracks. If it doesn't work, oh well, all that is lost is time.

The info. I posted I just found and glanced through but a couple sites said the extension was .oma. I did have a mini disk player someone gave me. I gave up on it in 5 minutes when I realized the decoding was in the hardware. Luckily I save a bunch of tracks and waste a lot of time and money.

As far as the hardware decoding, it may be possible someone cracked it and that is how the software I linked earlier decodes it. Sony does provide software to decode "SOME" of the players formats, although I'm not sure which ones they are.

Never hurts to try in a situation like this