98lite

M_win

the Preview/demo is enough for most people . . .

http://www.litepc.com/preview.html

98lite Preview Edition is freely licensed for non-exclusive use by a single individual for personal use only. You require an ENTERPRISE license if you want to use 98lite in a multi-user setting, or want to install 98lite on your clients computers.

as for getting it to work . . .

install it (just install it, don't go further) and read the 98MANUAL.TXT.

Edited by miko

I don't recommend that. I tried it a few months ago and was not impressed. It is basically experimental software for people who like to tinker. It's not usable as a normal desktop OS. But if you want to create some sort of very minimal bootable CD then you might give a try.

Phil

I don't recommend that. I tried it a few months ago and was not impressed. It is basically experimental software for people who like to tinker. It's not usable as a normal desktop OS. But if you want to create some sort of very minimal bootable CD then you might give a try.

Phil

Actually, if you tried it a few months ago, you did not try latest (fully working) version, which was released October 8th, 2005:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=12326&st=53

I mean, what do you expect from Alpha/Beta FREE software, to work like a three years old COMMERCIAL software?

:blink:

To use 98lite, do you need a copy of Win95 to swap out Win98 files for Win95 files?

OR

Does 98lite provide them?

NO, you NEED your own Win95 files and, from a legal standpoint, a valid LICENCE for BOTH Windows 95 AND Windows 98.

jaclaz

OK I've looked into this a bit more, and I have to say, this is kind of a PITA. ;)

You need a Win98SE valid copy (check);

You need Win95 OSR 2.1 or earlier;

You need Win ME (if you want to replace Win98SE dlls with ME dlls).

That's 3 OS's to buy to build 1 decent IE free fast OS. You're not even using the other OS's other than to take a few dlls from Win95, and a bunch of dlls from WinME.

I replace a few dlls in Win2k with Win2k3 and WinXP dlls.

Not a big deal because I can download and use SP1 or SP1 respectively.

Are there similar service packs for Win95 and WinMe out there?

Hey Guys

You all underestimate 98Lite

I use it for years with ME(Windows Milennium) as i could not use Win98 to go onto

the Net,i tried for weeks but was inable to use Win98 to surf onto the Net

You can use 98Lite with ME and Win98

If you have a copy of Win95 you can use the Win95Shell, Win95 doesn't need to

be installed

i have finetuned my ME_Lite and i can surf the net without firewall and virusscanner,

if something goes wrong , it takes me max 5 minutes to start with a fresh ME_Lite

ME_Lite is like XPLite or N_Lite for windows2000 & XP

I am trying out windows 2000 wit XPLite, but i am really disappointed about

windows2000 for surfing the net

i am going to try N-Lite with windows2000 and compare them

if it is for surfing onto the net,

then Win98 and ME are much better than Windows 2000 and surely XP ,

as it is impossibe to surf the Net without firewall and virus/malwarescanner

if you have no activeX,netbios and Plug&Pray in Win98 or ME then they are

safer than Windows 2000 and surely XP

And i agree that ME and Win98 are not as performant asWindows 2000 and XP ,

and to run modern applications they are to old ,so use XP or win2000 ,

but my ME_Lite is unbeatable for surfing the net,

but that's my opinion, so give 98Lite Profesional a try

PS i use Proxomitron as popupblokker for all my browser

and my preferred browser is Sleipnir,no other browser can compete with Sleipnir

icy

Edited by icy

As far as I know, removing IE does not secure a 9x box from vulnerabilities adressed by a firewall.

The greater vulnerabilty of XP vs 9x on the network does stem from the fact that XP has got built-in remote access tools. There is one single remote access potential vulnerability known in 9x. That is Shared Folders. It must be disabled in the Network Control Panel applet. AFAIK, from the point of view of ActiveX, firewall or virus scanning they are equally secure or insecure. Today, as the networking components are very different in XP than in 9x and XP is more recent than 9x, hackers are much busy writing nasty code for XP that simply do not execute on 9x (just like any other XP-2000 only application) so that even if those ones get dropped on your 9x machine they won't harm it.

What is the network security issue with plug and play on Win98 or ME ?

Also, what is netbios ?

As far as I know, removing IE does not secure a 9x box from vulnerabilities adressed by a firewall.

Quite right. The main risk associated with IE is using it to browser web (or other) content designed to exploit its many bugs, whereas firewalls can be useful to intercept incoming and outgoing connection attempts. For most Win9x users they're probably more useful for the latter (such as trojans/viruses/spyware attempting to transmit sensitive information).

Also, what is netbios ?

It's a network protocol originally for DOS, and now part of Windows file and printer sharing.

NetBIOS over IP is described in Internet RFC documents, such as:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1001.txt

You can combine 98lite Preview and winimize method.

When you copy an almost empty INF file into the setup directory

[Version]

Signature="$CHICAGO$"

and name it

MSTASK.INF or MDACINST.INF then

Task Scheduler or Data Access (ADO, ActiveX, ...) won't be installed, although those features are in Pro version only.

Phil

Hey Phil ---

Hang onto your a$$. Mindows is about to become very useable. For the lover of bells and whistles? I don't think so, but for a stripped down, secure browser, a very valuable tool. Keep in mind that there are some in the developing nations (even in America) who do not have (or want) an up to the minute machine, and would welcome an OS that runs on a cheap old klunker, but is still versatile enough to gain access to the internet and email, w/java etc. etc. All in the familiar Windows environment.

For the aces, Mindows will allow a tiny Windows install that may be gratifying in aiding the understanding of how Windows really works.

Cheers --- Mike

NO, you NEED your own Win95 files and, from a legal standpoint, a valid LICENCE for BOTH Windows 95 AND Windows 98.

Nope, that is NOT true, you nead a licence for the exeading windows version.

that means you are even alowed to run windows 95 if you only have a windows xp home licence (instead of //// not alongside)

user model look somthink like this.

if you have windows xp (home edition) you may also use, windows ME, all versions of 98, 95 and preseding versions like win v3.11

if you have windows xp (pro edition) you may use xp home, but also windows 2000 pro, and windows NT 3.0 3,5 and 4.0 (workstation version)

if you have MCE you may juse also xp home (not pro).

But again only instead of, not along side .....

• 1 month later...

Here's the problem I'm experiencing with 98lite.....

After installing 98lite on a clean install.....

Trying to install DirectX 9.0c and I get some weird error that the CAB files can't be trusted and the install aborts.

Some kind of Cryptography error of the CAB files.

Does 98lite remove some program that is required for the CAB files to be processed?

http://www.litepc.com/support/kb.cgi?view=51

Tips on DirectX9 Installation under 98lite

** UPDATED FOR DirectX 9.0c **

DirectX9 can be installed using the small "web update" package from Microsoft providing that IE is installed (Win98, 98SE) or both IE and the "Microsoft PC Help Center" (Windows Me)(requires 98lite v4.7)

To avoid the web based install which downloads the DirectX files every time you install it, and to avoid installing IE just to install DirectX you can download the full DirectX 9.0c Redist package and use that to install DirectX.

98lite - MICRO

--------------

98lite MICRO installations may be missing the cryptography components needed for checking the digital signatures of the DirectX download. If so you will see the error message:

"A cabinet file necessary for installation can not be trusted"

You can install the 98lite "MS Cryptography Providors" in the Internet Tools section of the control panel add\remove software applet. This option is added to the control panel by 98lite.

The lean alternative is to use the INF package below to just install the initpki.dll and rsabase.dll files that are required by the DirectX installer. See Below.

98lite - Me

-----------

Under Windows Millennium the "Microsoft PC Help Center" may also be required to get past the file check and complete the install (requires 98lite v4.7 and you can uninstall the PC Health option afterwards if you want without influencing your DirectX. You may see the error message " DirectX did not copy a required file" if you are missing the Health Centre files.

If however you really dont want to install the PC Health option - all you need is the following system files to be present in the system folder so that the DirectX installer can verify the install file certificates: SFC.DLL, SFPDLL.DLL, SMGR.DLL, ATRACE.DLL

We have a small INF installer that will extract these files from your CDROM/setup files and copy them to your system folder - see below.

Windows 98(original): 98preDX9.inf INF installer

(installs the cryptography files)

Windows 98 Second Edition: 98SEpreDX9.inf INF installer

(installs the cryptography files)

Windows Me: MEpreDX9.inf INF installer

(installs the cryptography and Win Me Health Center files)

Save the INF file to your desktop, right click on it and select "install" from the context menu.

After the INF has copied the needed files to your system you should then be able to install the full DirectX 9.0c Redist package.

The DirectX uninstall routine was upgraded in 98lite v4.7 to fully remove all DirectX 9.0c files and registry baggage should an uninstall be required.