relationship between windows pe

black_13

What is the relationship between windows pe and widows xp embedded?

At the place I work at I have been tasked with building either bootable

cd or the equivalent on DOC/DOM device. while doing some research

I came accross windows pe and barts pe. Can I use windows xp

embedded tools to creat something similar to windows pe or the

image created by barts pe?

Also if these questions are off topic for this forum

I appologize and will take the questions to the proper

forum if need be.

black_13

Technically, there isn't one. WinPE and XP Embedded were created by two totally different teams at Microsoft for two totally different purposes. (Ironically the two teams today are now the same.)

It is definitely possible to create an XPE image that looks and acts very similar to WinPE - and it's actually much easier to create a smaller version of XP Embedded than it is to streamline WinPE. Here again, bear in mind that WinPE was designed for a "white box" world where it needs to boot on anything. XP Embedded was designed for "black box" use, where the device manufactur (set-top box, point of sale device, thin client, etc) has complete understanding and control over the devices in the system.

Bear in mind technically BartPE is WinPE - albeit a reverse-engineered version with a better build process - if one works for you, the other will.

As to deciding which one you want to use, it basically comes down to:

are you

1. Are you building a system that needs a run-time copy of Windows included in it? If so, it's going to need Windows XP Embedded.
  2. Or are you building an environment/software product that you will need to distribute a copy of Windows with? Then you will need to use WinPE.

Both have licensing programs for redistribution. Note there is no legal way for anyone to redisitribute BartPE.

HTH, and feel free to reply if I didn't answer your question(s).