Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861)

Gurgelmeyer

Hi :)

First of all, the MS URP1 IS in fact included in the USPs. So are the fixes for the problems that it introduces.

However, Microsoft chose to add a new kernel mode (!!) driver to W2K in the MS URP1. This file system filter driver has never been part on W2K in the first place. Its main purpose is to intercept file access on behalf of DRM systems, although it can be (ab)used for just about any purpose. My opinion is, that introducing a new kernel mode driver less than 3 DAYS before mainstream support is ended is a very bad idea, so I've chosen not to include it in the USPs. WUv6 detects that this filter driver is not present on your system, and that is exactly why MS URP1 shows up. I've deliberately chosen not to attempt to suppress the MSURP1 on WU, because I think you should have the option to install this filter driver if you want it.

Hope that explains stuff - maybe I'll include it in USP 5.1 and just leave it disabled by default - donno.

G B)

in case you guys haven't noticed, the Windows 2000 SP4 Update Rollup 1 [KB891861] was revised on Sept. 13, 2005 to fix major problems with the original release. see microsoft KB article 891861 about the revised UR1 for Win2k SP4:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/891861/

which version of MS Win2k URP1 did you include in your USPs, Gurgelmeyer? the original one that was released on June 28, 2005 or the one that was revised on Sept. 13, 2005.

Win2000 users who have applied the original Win2k SP4 URP1 should download and install "V2" (the revised version) of the URP1.

@RyanVM - Yep ;)

@war59312 + @the_guy - Sounds like a good idea to make a FAQ

@erpdude8 - The first USP 5.0 "Gold" contained version 1 and several post-MSURP1 hotfixes for this because version 2 wasn't available at the time of release. USP 5.0 SR-1 includes version 2 and several post-MSURP1 and post-MSURP1v2 hotfixes.

Best regards

Gurgelmeyer B)

@erpdude8 - The first USP 5.0 "Gold" contained version 1 and several post-MSURP1 hotfixes for this because version 2 wasn't available at the time of release. USP 5.0 SR-1 includes version 2 and several post-MSURP1 and post-MSURP1v2 hotfixes.

ok. thanks.

the_guy is right. Media Player 10 doesnt run under non-XP versions of Windows, especially Win2000. however, you could try using the WMP 9 files that are included in XP SP2. almost all of them should work under W2K. XP SP2 has WMP9 build 3250, while the WMP9 player offered at the Microsoft web site is WMP9 build 2980.

That seems like the best solution to me. Probably as easy as just not registering the file :)

Yep - just had to copy the files :)

G B)

ok. thanks.

the_guy is right. Media Player 10 doesnt run under non-XP versions of Windows, especially Win2000. however, you could try using the WMP 9 files that are included in XP SP2. almost all of them should work under W2K. XP SP2 has WMP9 build 3250, while the WMP9 player offered at the Microsoft web site is WMP9 build 2980.

MS would definately not like that - I better not :lol: