gdogg

Where should I be spending my time?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see in MIcrowinX beta 3

• More Software Support
    • Some Registry Cleanup
    • Working Driver Cleanup
    • Some From All Of The Above

I would like to know what your guys take on where microwinX should be moving.

More Software Support (Meaning Patches)

Beta 3 will be based on what the most votes in the poll says.

I wont reply to posts in the thread. But I will read them all, and acknowledge, what people want for post beta 3.

Edited by gdogg

I would like being able to automatically retrieve my ip address (dhcp client), the ability to print (print spooler [minlogon removes the ability to print]), a themeless MicrowinX (use a third-party shell replacement or use windows classic), and a software patch for peerguardian 2 (ip blocker [cannot load the driver]).

I voted for registry cleanup since I'm still curious of FDV's progress with his. I thought maybe someone with as much time on their hands as you seem to have, you could lend him a hand. Otherwise, I don't care.

I voted for all the above...because I dont know how many betas are going to be out. So if there were 2-3 more betas then I would work on software patches as much as I can on this beta and then balance them all out in the final beta or two.

I'd say patches for more software support. I know that for what you do, it works, but what if I want to install something else that you don't use? ;)

I'm not exactly sure what programs you currently have in MicrowinX, but here are some examples of what I can see as necessary:

- Office type program (Open Office maybe?)

- E-mail client (Thunderbird probably, since it can be set up to run as standalone)

- Basic image editing (GIMP perhaps)

- mIRC

I'm guessing that a lot of the other software I'm thinking about has a standalone equivalent... Maybe something for MSN Messenger, or Trillian?

Edited by Zxian

B) seems to me if u add all the patches etc then it aint micro anymore just a nlited xp cd.now if u designed it for gamers then it doesnt need anything more than lan etc.but u must choose between size or functionality i doubt u can have both without losing the micro idea .maybe the 2 verions are the way 2 go like microwinx gamerz extreme and microwinx lite for standard use just my 2 cents.

Edited by timeless

actually there has been only 2 patches, that added back 1-2 file into the windows directory as of yet.

patches are to make apps stand alone.

and that was power dvd with 1 file

and sygate personal firewall with 2

Edited by gdogg

i vote for all thee a bove also. i would like to have an option for downloading a shell replacment for windows so you pick what ever shell you want to download. options for downloading anyshell they want from the internet impeatly.

Edited by kurt476

• 2 weeks later...
You should definitely add Office support.

How can you admit with no shame that your are using Ms office :)

Portable OpenOffice.org or portable Abiword is the way to go.

Edited by albator

• 2 weeks later...

You should definitely add Office support.

How can you admit with no shame that your are using Ms office :)

Portable OpenOffice.org or portable Abiword is the way to go.

Is there any reason I should :blushing:? Sure Office needs some improvements here and there, but it is the de facto standard of the industry.